ThePilotGuy

Show us your city, road-or transit maps! - 2

1,282 posts in this topic Last Reply

Many people have made some great maps for their cities - either road maps, subway maps, Mapquest-style maps, or something else. I thought it would be cool to have them featured in one place and couldn't find a thread like this already in existence (my apologies if one exists somewhere.)

So if you've made an interesting map of your city or region, show us! To be clear, I don't mean "map" as in a terrain you've made or imported or whatever, but a how-do-I-get-around, top-down type view of your city or transit system. - JaneJacobs

I thought we should start a new version of this thread because the original one has gotten too long.

Edited by ThePilotGuy  

Hi all.

Iv'e been following the old thread for a while now and always wanted to post something as my City relies heavily on mass transit.

Well heres my city's subway map

ruqr2d.jpg

Sorry that its not as professional looking as the other maps but this is the best I could come up with with only Paint and Microsoft Word.

Pretty much all the lines except the F, S, and the 13 either run through or terminate at the Grand Station at my city's Financial District. I didn't label the trains through that station because theres alot.

Hope you like it. I will try to get a better looking one up soon.

These are really professional!

This is my rail map for one city in my region. West park standard rail station is close to greenboro east 3GV highspeed rail station.

greenbororailmap.jpg

Here's my first, simple one. I chose the high speed rail as I knew all it's stations. Sorry about the little logo thingy. Paint isn't meant for serious graphic design. Anyway I can say local schoolchildren designed it...

3gvmap.jpg

@ bomb: That looks great. Clearer than the NYC map 2.gif

From a design/use point of view, the letters next to each station seem redundant, possibly with the exception of stations that are served by the A and B lines.

Originally posted by: Benedict

@ bomb: That looks great. Clearer than the NYC map

From a design/use point of view, the letters next to each station seem redundant, possibly with the exception of stations that are served by the A and B lines.quote>

Well, that's how the original is! The station name is always tagged with the letter of a train which serves that station.

Originally posted by: reQuiem4adream

Well, that's how the original is! The station name is always tagged with the letter of a train which serves that station.quote>

Not the overview map. Yes, the more detailed PDF version has them. But they're used for a reason in NYC – there are lots of parallel local/express/branch/whatever lines sharing the same tracks. In bomb_123's map the only stations where the letters actually provide information are Shrieve St and Peddler St where only B stops while A and X pass through. It feels kind of pointless to add redundant text to dozens of other stations only because of these two cases. I'd suggest adding a separate line with these stations on the map for B and changing A's color to something else, similar to H, U and Y on the left side of the map. (Also, Kruger St on line K has had it typoed to L, if you insist on keeping the letters.)

Also, what are those river-crossing 'trams'? To me, the word tram means a street-running light rail system. Those are quite clearly something else.

A very stylish map overall, nonetheless.

Cute maps ;o Bomb_123's map tears me asunder, though. Is this really one of your cities? Or rather, did you really stylish the map? Because it looks truly great. Though the A/B confusion is slightly avoidable and more bemusing than anything else.

Anyways.

My region is an archipelago comprised of three major population centers, Sedona, Rathlin and Hajira - their combined population amounts in the 4'500'000. Guess I can share 'em up - I based my mass transit system on the U-Bahn / S-Bahn combination found in places like Berlin, Paris, NY (to some extent), and so on.

sedonaroads.jpg

(I think people from the area of Köln / Bonn / Düsseldorf will reckonize many of the location names and map styling ;o the suburban areas are based on popular cities and worlds from various games)

Sedona U-Bahn (2010 revision) - most intrisicate railway network, though originally only lines 1, 2 and 5 existed.

I consider it to be one of my best ^^ it's completed by an extensive bus network, of which you can see the major hubs on the map. Also includes nearby commuter mapping. Most lines are underground with a large stretch of U5 and U12 overground, U11 as a tram-train, and U92 as a casual railway. The portions used to less than 80% of their capacity during rush hour are not operated 24/7.

SedonaU-Bahn2010t3.jpg

Hajira U-Bahn (2010 revision) - a simple small subway network, with line 20 as a genuine tram (Straßenbahn) circular line.

Hajira is the smallest of the three hubs (with only 500'000 inhabitants) and, unlike Sedona's complicated road system, features a branching road map, with small islands connecting to the nearest major artery. Its subway system did not need to be as extensive and inclusive as Sedona's, and Hajira makes efficient use of a smaller, less expensive network. Line 20 is arguably the major line, looping around downtown; additionnally, the S-Bahn network locally provides for the furthest residents which are not close enough to the subway.

HajiraU-Bahn2010.jpg

Region S-Bahn and Regional Rail - whole regional transit system (subways not included), including the faster, less stretching S-Bahn and some further regional lines.

The region itself is intensively connected by railroads which gathers people from most suburbs - the industrial Tarnsburg, the isolated backwater villages around Dunkeldorf, the urban areas of Waren, Midgar, Eshtar and Coral Bay - to the heart of the three hubs; with S-Bahn locally providing service and linking the inner of the triangle, and regiobahn, less used, serving the outer areas. Excellent connections with the local subways and buses - and national rail, since this is not the capital conurbation - make both networks work in a synergic manner, despite fare prices being different on both.

sbahn.jpg

[Multiple oversized images resized. Maximum image size 800x600 - porter]

Originally posted by: Zeddic

Originally posted by: reQuiem4adream

Well, that's how the original is! The station name is always tagged with the letter of a train which serves that station.quote>

Not the overview map. Yes, the more detailed PDF version has them. But they're used for a reason in NYC – there are lots of parallel local/express/branch/whatever lines sharing the same tracks. In bomb_123's map the only stations where the letters actually provide information are Shrieve St and Peddler St where only B stops while A and X pass through. It feels kind of pointless to add redundant text to dozens of other stations only because of these two cases. I'd suggest adding a separate line with these stations on the map for B and changing A's color to something else, similar to H, U and Y on the left side of the map. (Also, Kruger St on line K has had it typoed to L, if you insist on keeping the letters.)

Also, what are those river-crossing 'trams'? To me, the word tram means a street-running light rail system. Those are quite clearly something else.

A very stylish map overall, nonetheless.

quote>

Thanks, Zeddic. I updated the map to fix that typo. While I agree that the extra text is superfluous in 90% of the cases, I think I'll still keep it up because it's a pretty handy way to identify stations by something other than the color of the line.  

Oh, and sorry about the tram confusion. The trams in my map are supposed to resemble http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/731lexington/images/roosevelt_tram_bloomberg_3apr04.jpg>these.

Originally posted by: Balth3465

Cute maps ;o Bomb_123's map tears me asunder, though. Is this really one of your cities? Or rather, did you really stylish the map? Because it looks truly great. Though the A/B confusion is slightly avoidable and more bemusing than anything else.

quote>

This map is an extremely stylish visualization of the subway system of a new city I'm creating. I haven't played SC4 or visited Simtropolis in over a year, so it'll take a while for it to be realized.

It would be great under each new map posted if the author on a uniform basis would identify the software used and about how many hours (days, weeks, etc.) of work have been invested.

David

Originally posted by: dedgren

It would be great under each new map posted if the author on a uniform basis would identify the software used and about how many hours (days, weeks, etc.) of work have been invested.

Davidquote>

That's a good idea.

I used Adobe Illustrator CS3 for my map and it took me a week to complete.

Ooh, Seilbahnen..

About my maps it depends. The original designs took me about two weeks to complete, the Hajira and Regional map took me just over a day since I had all the layout already done. The map of Sedona took me two weeks, though it begun very small with three lines.

I use MS Paint ;o I would certainly use another software to make them more profesisonal I guess

rect8115.png

This is done in Inkscape (hooray for vectors!)

For a large city tile, the road network can take a day or two to do (though I rarely do it in one hit), while the other layers (rail, GLR, tunnels, bridges, rivers etc.) are only a couple of hours each. I've been pleasantly surprised by how quick its been 4.gif

Really great maps all! Decided to post my new map here too, already posted it to SC4D.

This is at small simple reference map of one of my citys local train line 2. This is actually my third transit map, but in my opinion the first good enough to share here   It's not a loop even though it starts and ends in the same place, it just does this U-type of movement.

I know it shouldn't be Exchange Stations, it should be Interchange Stations but i'm too lazy to upload it again 9.gif

50930959.png

I will put here my suburban train system from Gironda City, capital of my own archipelago Republic also Named Gironda.

Sorry for the amateur look of it but I think you get the point. This is divided in 6 Zones (Northwest Main Island, Sun Island, South Island, São Gilberto, Merchants Island and Gironda City). The stations of  Terreiro Rosseau, Graça, Trabalhadores, Vila da União and Vila Nobre, are out of the Gironda Zone but the commuters can use a Gironda ticket to board on these stations as they are located in the Gironda council and Terreiro Rosseau is also located on downtown Gironda.

30532970.jpg

Originally posted by: bomb_123

Originally posted by: dedgren

Davidquote>

That's a good idea.

I used Adobe Illustrator CS3 for my map and it took me a week to complete.quote>

Same here, but it only took me a few hours since there are only 3 train lines.

Travelling With Link?

Link (Lamington in Transit Konnection) was designed and started by late Mayor Crocosbag and

finished by present mayor hi son, Ballsinthe Crocosbag (vote for me).The lines connect

the seven city boroughs, Lexton, Transvert, Bougleville (Downtown, Midtown),

Maxim (Uptown), Stea, Stapleton and Crossborough. It also provides

a pay connection to the link bus(see bus map). Fares are .50 Simeleons, Monthly

passes 10 simeloens.Transfers are given at the time of pay and are only transferrable

on the system at transfer points

(Stations where two or more different local trains meet or stations

where local and express trains meet).

Please note as an effort to keep our trains safe, police patrol the trains

and some kiosk are available at some stations.

Those who intend on committing crime, namely fare jumpers, mooners, spray painters

(especially those who insist on changin the K in Konnection to C), and pickpocketters, if aprehended

by the police would be punished by the most extreme of the law and face stiff fines

of 100 simoelons or more.

As an advisory, due to crime situation in the west of the city and the usual occurence of police

officers being robbed and beaten by the hands of outlaws, the police do not stay on the train

for the following stations. Jungle, killers lane, Gunstown, and Madman Park, all in the

CROSSBOROUGH REGION.If you are robbed, raped or assualted, or there are criminals

commiting crime on the train you are on, the conducter and the driver would lock themselves in their

booth. They would not help you or any other passengers. The train would not come to an

emergency stop, all regular stops would continue to be made. if in need of police or help

in the case of emergency or fire, please call 119, and speak with the autmoated voice machine.

Repeatedly pressing 0 would not bypass the system.

The system does not provide phones on trains.

Link would not be held responsible for any bodily harm done, loss of life, or any damaged property.

As a reminder Link runs eight lines throughout the city, five local and three express.

A 24 hour express service is also offered towards Long street/ Lamington international airport

on the 202 train. Be reminded that all trains go through the

Downtown Bougleville area at some point, except for the 106 local

Train that goes from Nerds University (transverse)

to  Kings BLVD (MAXIM- uptown) Thankyou for riding link.

NewImage-2.jpg?t=1280858120

[Oversized image resized. Maximum image size 800x600 - porter]

@Benedict: Thanks, my friend! I posted one that showed different lines in the old thread [link], when I still was experimenting with the program's rendering tools... I'm on the way of making a network-wide one based on one of my cities.