Sign in to follow this  
nhgriffith

Tunnels?

Is there a minimum length for tunnels in SC4?  I'm experimenting with some ideas on making a pseudo-elevated highway (in which the road is simply on raised land and underpasses are tunnels under through the land).  I want to see how this looks... but I can't get tunnels to build.  Is there a minimum length to get SC4 tunnels to build?  Also, what's the minimum terrain height for the various tunnels (road, avenues, rail)?

You need one tile of empty space right on top of each tunnel entrance.  The old Hole Digging lots used to include notes on the different tunnel heights, but I don't think the new ones do.  It's somewhere around 8-10 m for rail, and 12-15 m for roads and highways and the like.

You need one tile of empty space right on top of each tunnel entrance.

Yea, this is the part I was messing up.  I kept making the hill wider and wider for the tunnel, and it just wouldn't go through no matter how long I made it.  I finally deleted the road pieces at the edge of the hill I used to flatten out the top, and it made it.

With roads and avenues, I was able to make tunnels through hills as low as 7.5M.  And the tunnel length was like 4 hill tiles, plus 2 tiles for the entry/exit pieces.

Now I need some cosmetic pieces that can maybe fix up these entryways... they look horrendous...

A tunnel mod helps as well, it will reduce the height requirements to create one, and WMP makes some pretty decent skins, and rivet has a tunnel mod that gives you many options which I think you will find inventive