Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Vietnam (remember them?) locks the barn.

Strange.  I wonder what they are up to?

One party, communist (??) government forbids current events Internet feeds.  I thought only outfits in real trouble like NK did that.  Perhaps the government can't stand the light coming in from the world.

Well as I have never been to Vietnam I don't really care what laws they enact there. However I will say this. The Internet is its own nation. The net isn't Vietnamese, or American, or what have you. It crosses boundaries and exists in another plane altogether. While they are perfectly free to beat up anyone who says 'Voldemort' in a public market square, or fire bullets at people who are fat or dye their hair red white and blue, the Internet is aside from life. The Internet isn't real and as such no laws can apply to it, properly speaking. But of course they do. Which is why we have problems when governments try to control the net. It's a neverending battle between rebels and lawmakers. 

The way I see it the UN ought to control the net. Then decrees on what we can discuss would be universally respected and upheld.