tropico_5_03.jpg

tropico_5_04.jpg

tropico_5_05.jpg

tropico_5_06.jpg

tropico_5_07.jpg

tropico_5_08.jpg

tropico_5_09.jpg

tropico_5_10.jpg

Kalypso has really outdone themselves. This does not look anything remotely like Tropico 3 or 4. And unlike 3 and 4, the building aesthetics have a more accurate look  and feel of a tropical Caribbean island.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/28/tropico-5-screens-show-el-presidentes-makeover/

Actually, looking at the 2nd to the last pic, there is some repitition to the buildings that I did not notice initially. I think those are the new condominiums, though it would be nice if Kalypso would diversify the variations each building type. One good note is that they made at least 200 buildings that are inspired from the last 200 years, so hopefully, there will be more variety.

On another note, I hope they remove that temple that you use to attract tourist/extract artifacts. It's a Latin American themed, but not something you would see in the Caribbean.

Could've sworn the multiplayer was actually a good thing. Having battles with neighboring cities would be interesting fun. I mean fighting the rebels hasn't really met up it's expectations really. Of course, there will always be single-player. I don't think Kalypso would do a SimCity. In fact, I think adding a multiplayer feature would better suit Tropico than SimCity.

Although, yes, the island is small, but if they don't increase the population cap, then I wouldn't even mind.

Multiplayer is fine but only if the playable area each player gets is big enough. If the islands are small and multiple people play on a single island, that could be problematic.

--Ocram

OK, sorry to double post, semi-necro but I think this is better than starting a new thread. After reading many pages on the Internet and looking at YouTube I have found out quite a bit. I don't know all the details because I am not a beta tester but that means that I am not obligated to withhold any information that I find out.

Tropico 5 has a confirmed release date as May 23 (27 for USA). There will be several eras (Colonial, World Wars, Cold War, Modern Times, and possibly others). There will be technology and research. Certain colonial era houses are self sufficient (obviously don't require electricity) because they have vegetable gardens to feed themselves. Certain colonial era buildings can be turned into tourist attractions in future eras (possibly Cold War era) for their history. The islands seem to be slightly larger than in Tropico 4. There will be dynasties so that the heir of the colonial governor becomes Presidente eventually and his heir becomes the next Presidente.

--Ocram

oh geeez....can't wait.

I always loved Tropico.... have been playing the series since Nr 1. This one really looks good!!

I saw an aircraft carrier, tanks and fighter jets in the trailer. Maybe that was multiplayer and maybe not controllable, but can be ordered. I haven't bought the game so I have nothing to say... except it looks gorgeous.

I think I'll wait it out though until there's a sale in steam which I think won't be long.

It is rather fun and pretty beautiful but it has several features and buildings removed (versus even Tropico 3 vanilla). I currently have 3 members in my Dynasty and I am doing well in the Campaign (though I am only in the beginning of the 3rd Campaign mission).

--Ocram

So, I filled up my dynasty with all 5 slots and have 2 5 star dynasty members. It was fun for the duration of the campaign and 2 sandbox games but I haven't played it since September 28th (according to Steam). I kind of wish there were options to upgrade the palace (so that the governor gets a modest colonial palace and El Presidente gets to have a fancy, modern palace/presidency in Modern Times) and that there were more options for housing. I also wish that the colonial era could get expanded, maybe with an expansion pack that adds the features of Tropico 2 (so you can stay in the colonial era for 100 years before entering the World Wars era but you would have to stay on the good side of the British, French, and Spanish Crowns or risk getting invaded).

--Ocram