Sign in to follow this  
Kearney86

The College kills my Education

My school was full with 950 pupils per day and about 1200 needing educating.

So I placed a college (skipping the high school) to try and increase industry tech and take some of the surplus students.

After this only 153 went to school and another 87 per day to the college.

Why does this happen? The same happens when I place the high school.

Has the education system changed with 6.0 and 7.0 updates (only just returned to sim city)

Shut down the school. Then all go to the college

I've tried this. It doesn't work. Also the number of Sims that show as attending school when I click the school does not match what shows at the bottom of the screen when I click the education button. There is a bug with the game. I have regions where NOBODY goes to school no matter what I do.

Along the same lines, I find if I add a community college to a city right next to industry, industry begins whining that they can't find suitably educated workers.  I can only guess that it increases the tech level beyond what a community college teaches.

My students are all sucked into neighbouring cities regardless of whether or not my city actually needs the outside help. Anyway around this? I really don't need an army of school buses coming into/out of my city every day.

Have a feeling there is a bug with education in general!! I have a city with a high school with 2 extra classrooms n full buses, yet the buses can't pick up all the kids (traffic no problem) as they simply can't pick them all up in time

Ther is a bug in the education, @ Rufus ..that happens because the inital wave of students isnt enough to supply the educated workforce in the tech lvl of the college, but you plop down a university and then it works somehow.

I have an even funnier problem...150k+ population city...4000 desks open for education...students migrate to other towns :D

I'm assuming "students" will go to any educational institution?  That to think kids go from grade school to high school to college like in the real world is a misnomer in the game?   It that right?

I'm assuming "students" will go to any educational institution?  That to think kids go from grade school to high school to college like in the real world is a misnomer in the game?   It that right?

Yes, students will go anywhere, but the different schools still have defined roles ingame:

-Elementary schools are for starting up education in new cities. You need school attendance to unlock the higher level schools, and they are cheap enough for small villages to afford.

-High Schools are for maximizing residential education in large cities where tech levels are not a concern. The high school is the most cost-effective educational institution in the game, and its buses prevent students from contributing to traffic.

-Community Colleges have the lowest running costs and get your tech up to the mid-level industries, but they have no student transportation of their own. They depend on your city buses and streetcars to get students to school on time. Use them where you need some sort of tech level, but don't require the unique features of the university.

-Universities maximize both technology and education in addition to providing the research projects. Use them in cities where you want to develop high tech industry or unlock research for the region; they can function in a city with almost no residents thanks to their dorms. Their drawbacks are that they require very large land areas, especially for addons to the campus, and they require mass transit to be of maximum usefulness.

There you have it...all is explained in the above post :) thnx Cob92

But if there is a notion of a bug in the education system, like if you have 4 cities and all four have universities, so the agents go everywhere in between those 4 cities and not their parent one, who knows maybe it will be corrected in the upcoming patches.

The starter elementary school is woefully small for a city.  A city small enough for the students needed can't afford it (and is busy getting the more expensive fire/clinic) and by the time you get enough money to buy it, you city has far more students than the basic model can handle.

The starter elementary school is woefully small for a city.  A city small enough for the students needed can't afford it (and is busy getting the more expensive fire/clinic) and by the time you get enough money to buy it, you city has far more students than the basic model can handle.

It depends on how you develop your city. I usually try to roll out an elementary school as early as possible after the fire station, and I will sometimes use debt in order to pay for these early buildings. Once you get the elementary school up, it will slow the growth of crime and sickness in your city, giving you more time to get financially stable before introducing police or expanding healthcare.