Sign in to follow this  
Scumb4g

Is NAM supposed to be so difficult to use?

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope I'm posting it in the right section.

I just re-installed SC4 Deluxe and while looking on youtube I saw people had acces to roads I hadn't

I then stumbled on to this website and shortly after installed NAM. Now this is where the trouble starts. The installation and all went fine but trying to make roads and highways as seen in some of the youtube video's (not to mention doing it without having to rebuild it at least 15 times completely) is just not working for me. Am I missing something or is it just that hard? I'm at it for 2 days now and still cannot make a decent highway with a 90 degree turn in it without completely rebuilding it over and over again. Then when I finally did manage to make one there is no way to just fit a ramp on it that works (I tried the elevated 6 and 8 lanes one as well as the normal one). I am starting to think that there is just something wrong or is it just nearly impossible to work with at the beginning? I think it is amazing that people put so much time and effort into this mod but why is there no easier way to make it work? Why is it impossible to make just a draggable highway like the ones in the game itself?
I have looked up many youtube video's but none show how to make ramps or turns with the highways (I like to connect the south city through to the west one by highway).

Is there anyone who could help me out or should I just give up on this mod?

Thanks

Welcome to Simtropolis.  :thumb:

There are already several NAM support threads, but you've already posted so don't worry about it.

The NAM has a significant learning curve, but thousands of people before you have figured it out, so I wouldn't give up just yet.   ;)  The most useful sources of information are the readmes and manuals that come with it.  Those have picture instructions on how to build most things.  They can be found in the Documentation folder inside the NAM.

It would be nice if NWM and RHW roads were as easy to build as default roads, but due to the game's programming it's just not possible.  Once you figure out how to use draggable starters, it should be easy enough to plop ramps and the like right onto the network.  It should be noted that there is very limited support for things like diagonal and elevated networks.

Your best bet is probably to make a test city to play around with the NAM before you start using it in your cities.  Best of luck to you!

I made a test area, read the manuels and practiced, practiced, practiced!  I am not perfect at it yet but I can manage to do what I want most of the time.

Thanks for the welcome,

sorry about making yet another topic I found it difficult to find a right one as there is a lot that comes up while searching for NAM.

I did find the manual but found it a bit difficult to understand I will give it another go though.

Looking at the ramps it kind of seems that they are only there for the smaller highways (the 2 or 4 lane ones), as soon as I try it on a larger one it just messes the whole way up.
It seems strange to me as why would they make the larger highways if there are no ramps for it (so it should work). Also the elevated ones is there a special way to make those ramps work?

thanks again,

Sander

For elevated highways, there are only two ramp types:  Type A (normal ramps) and Type B (ramps that branch off at 45 degrees).  In order to use them, you have to place the "Flex Ramps," found in their own menu button.  Place the flex ramps on the ground, then drag the elevated highway through them.  You might have to click around in different places, but they should convert into the correct ramp.

The wider the highway is, the less features are available for it.  It's a lot of work to make.  More functionality will be included in future updates.  But yes, you will find more pieces for smaller highways.

Well, you still have the old-school ramps available under the Ramps button and the FARHW ramps (for advanced users). But I must admit, the RHW has a steep learning curve and it takes time to figure out all the tricks and how to use every component.

It can be quite intimidating but watching videos, like the ones Haljackey is doing right now help a lot, you get to see how they function and will give you a better understanding. There's another guy who does videos for the RHW, Astoconn or something is his name, he does great ones that helped me learn how to build interchanges and exit ramps as well as overpasses. Just search YouTube for Haljackey's videos and you should be able to link to them easily

There's another guy who does videos for the RHW, Astoconn or something is his name

Asteconn's stuff is really outdated since much of it uses RHW Version 3.0 content (plus he refers to it by its old name of Rural Highway).

Good point, but it will still give him basics to apply to this new awesome and gigantic update that y'all have released. As large and as much time as you and the NAM team have dedicated to this project, it's very easy to overwhelm a newcomer and all...

Hi all thanks for all the tips, I'm trying out a lot of stuff atm and will look into those video's when I get frustrated again :P.

For the record, the documentation also has tutorials that feature much of the new content, none of which was ever covered by Asteconn because, again, they were made during the time when they didn't even exist yet. If you want help on the new content (FlexSPUI, Draggable Ramps), the documentation's tutorials already cover it (though admittedly, not too well, either).

The NAM reference guide (included with the NAM) will help you out a lot! 

For the RHW, there is also a reference guide for it in the NAM. Additionally, there is a RHW Interchange Guide (link in my signature). Like Astoconn's video tutorials, some of the older guides there date back to RHW 3.0 but they are still fully compatible with the newest version of the RHW. The only real difference is that there are now flexible transitions, so replace any elevated transitions you see in the guide with those.

I much prefer a step-by-step guide with plenty of pictures and information than a video which may be difficult to follow and contains little explanation. I contemplated making video tutorials like him but decided to go with the picture guide format for those reasons.

Hi again, just wanted to thank you all again for the help.

It's going a bit better now though I only just scratched the surface I am sure.

Right now I just build a new city and see what problems I run into and then try how I can fix them with the new goodies.

I found an underground avenue entrance, just cannot seem to find how to build the road underground other than the entrance.

TAB through the FLUPs (underground roads) menu until you find the "underground network" pieces.  The same pieces are used for all underground networks.  They can go under most networks and blank terrain, but you can't zone on top of them.  To do that, build a normal tunnel.