Sign in to follow this  
towerman

Simcity 5 fast forward to today

I have been a huge fan of simcity 2000 in the past and 3000 wasn't too bad
simcity 4 felt like too much micromanagement, it has taken away the fun factor for myself, anyway.
However i have read numerous bad postings about simcity 5.

Fast forward up to today, what improvements have been made, am i still going to be disappointed if i buy this game ?

I loved airports and in 2000 absolutely loved that modern green exotic towering building that one was able to build after your city reached a very successful level. thats just 2 of the things i enjoyed. love the different power plants as well.

Secondly, will the maps increase in size, have they increased yet, i heard people complaining big time over that as well ? i also read about a recent mod where one is able to play offline and build highways outside your city.

suggest looking at 

it wasn't created that long ago, has quite a few comments on the (in)completeness of the game

eg, there are still some buildings that you can place that still do nothing.

patch 7 is about to come out this or next week.

for me its a promising update, if the changes to traffic does what i hope it does then it might actually be worth playing again.

unfortunately, so far it seems that every patch has added more bugs than its fixed.

sc2013 has an airport you can place, but not many creative options on how you want it to look.

it has 1 type of arcology great work you can build outside your city, but last i checked it does more harm than good as 1million workers try to drive into your town and find a job.

when it first came out the fact that it was online to overloaded slow buggy servers was $%&^!, but i haven't had a problem with the onlinenessness of the game in many weeks (months?) now.

Right now the game is pretty limited to how creative you can be with it.  You are sort of locked in a pretty restrictive box for the time being. 

I've been having fun with it, but the fun factor would increase dramatically if we one day get terraforming, larger maps, more building options, and a better road network. 

Since the 6.0 patch and all cities need industry, I am now desperate for larger city sizes!! Having said that I have still had loadsa loadsa fun with the game!!

I hate to say the game isn't worth getting.  It does have a decent fiddle-about value, even though it's not perfect.  They're working on it, though it sickens me it was released in such shoddy condition and so many issues are flat out broken.

The game makes leaps and shoots itself in the foot in the same move.

We got the ability to make curved roads - and they give us tiny city sizes, making it impractical to use them

They make zone density based on the road density - but when a road has high traffic and you increase the road, you're just adding more traffic.

They give us "plop points" to let you expand existing structures - but if that structure is on the edge of the map you can't overlap.

Honestly, if you hated the complexity of SimCity 4, you might want to ignore the typical complaints most people have about SimCity 2013.

I say give it a try, plenty of people do like and enjoy it, they just dont tend to scream as loud as those who hate it.

I love SC5. I understand alot of SC4 players hate it because you can do soooo much with SC4 and its way more realistic. SC4 is more a sim then a game tho and SC5 is 50/50 game/sim, in my opinion.

I love SC5. I understand alot of SC4 players hate it because you can do soooo much with SC4 and its way more realistic. SC4 is more a sim then a game tho and SC5 is 50/50 game/sim, in my opinion.

That's a nice way of putting it actually. A lot of the vitriol aimed at simcity is due to the developers either not managing expectations properly or the fact that they were largely ignored by the fan base.

The latter is I think more the issue. Before this game was released I specifically remember being told that the map sizes were going to be smaller, it was going to be always online, terraforming was gone and there were going to be no subways. 5 months after release and people are still screaming for these additions (particularly on the Facebook page).

I think it is a great game that was (is) hampered by bugs. What is worth noting is that this game has a completely different feel to the predecessors despite being a city builder. This is likely why they dropped the number from the end of the title to distance themselves from 4 without loosing to much of the existing fan base.

If you want offline play, terraforming, etc simcity 4 is the game for you. That game when modded correctly is the city painter that a lot of people (myself included) love. The new simcity provides more of an entertaining gaming experience though not necessarily the better city building experience.

That's a nice way of putting it actually. A lot of the vitriol aimed at simcity is due to the developers either not managing expectations properly or the fact that they were largely ignored by the fan base.

The latter is I think more the issue. Before this game was released I specifically remember being told that the map sizes were going to be smaller, it was going to be always online, terraforming was gone and there were going to be no subways. 5 months after release and people are still screaming for these additions (particularly on the Facebook page).

I think it is a great game that was (is) hampered by bugs. What is worth noting is that this game has a completely different feel to the predecessors despite being a city builder. This is likely why they dropped the number from the end of the title to distance themselves from 4 without loosing to much of the existing fan base.

If you want offline play, terraforming, etc simcity 4 is the game for you. That game when modded correctly is the city painter that a lot of people (myself included) love. The new simcity provides more of an entertaining gaming experience though not necessarily the better city building experience.

Yup thats true. SimCity 2013 is a new game and not really a sequel to SimCity 4 tbh. Expectation of this game wer so high that this game looks like trash right now while its actually a fun game tho.

I like both SimCity 4 and the new SimCity. I think the new one is worth getting, especially with the traffic improvements and raise/lower roads options added in the new patch. 

The launch for the new SimCity was a disaster and I'm glad they keep working on patching it and addressing bugs. SimCity 4 without NAM or any mods was basically unplayable, and about a third of the amount of time I spent on SC4 was spent researching and downloading mods to make the game decent.