Sign in to follow this  
sosoma

Hidden subway connection

Normally I can find solutions and answers here or on SimCity Devotion, but not this time. I have a few lots, like the one shown below, that have subway access. The problem I have is that sometimes the model of the structure is highlighted green and obscures the subway connection.
post-31459-0-33038000-1376910745_thumb.j

This is Inchon International Airport Centre where the subway connection is hidden. Sometimes I can rotate and located the connection, but usually not. 
post-31459-0-34434700-1376911026_thumb.j

This is MMTS Grand Central on the left and VanWingerden BusSub Plaza by Jasoncw on the upper right. Part of the plaza is transparent which I can deal with, because I can see the connection, but I'd prefer something like Grand Central where the lot is transparent all together.

How do I make a building transparent when I go to run my subway?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if I did this wrong (small images), this is my first post.

Your post is just fine.  One way to locate your subway grid, if that is your intention, is to use the second display of the congestion option.  Set it to see subways only.  I don't have an illustration handy, but here is one that shows bus routes.

QWzEF78.jpg

Simply choose the sub/El Train radio button.

If you're talking about the subway square, in most lots (including all NAM transit lots), you can ignore it.  The subway just has to pass anywhere underneath the lot to make a connection.

As to why certain parts of the lot show up in green and others don't, it's the main building that shows up in green; props don't.  The fact that there's no green in the Grand Central means that the building was implemented as a prop.

This is not easy for a beginning modder to change.  But you shouldn't have to; as I mentioned, the subway square generally has no significance.  However, it is always located in the center of the lot, or in the northwest square of the four squares that define the center if the lot doesn't have a single central square.

Thanks for the answers guys, now I understand. The ones I had issues with were custom models created by various modders. Wouldn't mind creating my own models one day but this old brain of mind just don't want to cooperate. Strange how a 3D Mechanical piping draftsman has a hard time picking up on gmax.

Maybe I stopped to think and forgot to start again.

Conformal piping diagrams, as I recall are not orthogonal but use a 120 degree axis separation.  3D modelling for this game uses orthogonal axes and a 3D to 2.5D projection for the final render.  This is sometimes hard to digest.