Sign in to follow this  
nicolasville

Expanding Region Size

Hey all, after playing my region for quite some time I've found myself to be running out of room. Is it possible to expand the borders of my region/add more cities tiles without corrupting the data of the cities I've already built? I've already dabbled in modifying config files and using SC4 terraformer to create regions, etc, and I've already custom-terraformed several regions, but I've never ran into this issue before. 

Hey all, after playing my region for quite some time I've found myself to be running out of room. Is it possible to expand the borders of my region/add more cities tiles without corrupting the data of the cities I've already built? I've already dabbled in modifying config files and using SC4 terraformer to create regions, etc, and I've already custom-terraformed several regions, but I've never ran into this issue before. 

I really don't think so, but I'm not a SimCity modder, so don't ask me :)

I'm fairly certain that you would have to re-render the region to change the size.  Which would remove all your work unfortunately.

(Pssst...this is the SimCity 5 forum section)

I'm fairly certain that you would have to re-render the region to change the size.  Which would remove all your work unfortunately.

(Pssst...this is the SimCity 5 forum section)

Whooops! Thanks for telling me, the new layout has me a bit confused! Could a mod kindly move my post?

[Moved - CaptCity]

You are able to add pixels to the right and bottom sides of the config file. This will add blank (flat) terrain city tiles along those edges of the original without affecting the existing tiles. Adding anything to the left and upper edges will demolish existing cities. If adding pixels, be sure to use the standard sizes and colors that the game recognizes:

1x1 Red

2x2 Green

4x4 Blue.

You are able to add pixels to the right and bottom sides of the config file. This will add blank (flat) terrain city tiles along those edges of the original without affecting the existing tiles. Adding anything to the left and upper edges will demolish existing cities. If adding pixels, be sure to use the standard sizes and colors that the game recognizes:

1x1 Red

2x2 Green

4x4 Blue.

Just to add as a tip, I'll usually use the auto color select and select the color already being used for the config. I find that some of the default swatch colors in MS paint won't register correctly and end up with a checker board region (landxwater tiles). 

Depending on how many cities you've already developed, this may or not be the best option.

* backup your original region folder

* make a new city in game.

* then go to mydocuments>simcity4>regions> the developed region

* open the config.bpm and copy the whole thing

* then go to the other region folder (>region> new region) and open the new config.bpm

* change the colors to whatever size you want, as explained above. Then paste in your old colors that you previously copied. Move that until the pixels line up (4x4 blue, etc) save

* go back to the game and open the new region. And where your old region's city borders lie, click each city. On te far left of that little Popup, there's a little arrow into a computer. That's the import button. You'll want to import each of your cities to this new region.

* after complete import, feel free to use the in game terrain tools or terraformer.

If you wish (as I did) you can download a region from the Stex and do what I explained above still. I found it fairly easy to do with sc4 mapper.

I hope I explained that well and that it's formatted nicely, as I'm on mobile. Good luck.

Simplest is best.  Add tiles to the bottom and right in config.bmp.  You get blank terrain.  When you start one of these, reconcile the edges then use the terraforming tools in god mode to make what you want.  The colours for RGB must be absolute (FF0000, 00FF00, 0000FF).

Make a backup first.

Something to try if you are good with terraformer would be to see if you can do terrain for the new tiles without clobbering the old ones.  Backups are always recommended before experimenting.