Sign in to follow this  
Snugies

Air tube transportation

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Snugies    89
  • Original Poster
  • seems cool but I wonder if and how this thing could crash? seems like it would just slow down in the tube then they come and break the tube apart to get you out.

I had always considered raised rail to be a possible solution to the problems of city design, and the notion of an 'eternal viaduct' passing over complex street layouts and topography had seemed to me to be level with underground rail as an idea. However when all things are said and done I always found underground rail the most logical method, if not the most romantic in design.

One thing I note is there is even less space inside this capsule than in aircraft. Marvellous. So much for high speed rail bringing back comfort to travel... Think I'll stick to nice low speed trains I can stand up inside without hitting the ceiling.

Yep...really nothing more than the old pneumatic tubes, just gussied up some, that were in use all over the place (as has been previously stated).

And heck, Jules Verne came up with the idea of pneumatic tube transport in 1863 in Paris in the Twentieth Century.

The thing I found the funniest in the article I read (which seems to have been edited since I saw it yesterday morning) was a statement from Musk to a guy in Canada that he (the guy in Canada) was the 1st one to correlate the Hyperloop with the old pneumatic tube transit system. Heck...that was the 1st thing that popped into my head when I was bare a sentence or two into the article. I guess, sometimes, it pays to be old.

Safety and passenger comfort will be the big issues.  If you are going to be fired down the barrel of an air gun, it shouldn't add one jot or tittle to your everyday stress.

One plant I worked in had a pneumatic system for getting samples from the furnace floor to the Q.A. lab I worked in.  Very convenient.  This was in the 1950s, and I can't think of a better way to move small quantities of physical material around since we don't have Star Trek transporters.

Snugies    89
  • Original Poster
  • i don't know if it is physically possible to get anymore 'less space' than an airplane. All that matters is if its faster and cheaper and terrorists cant drive it into anything.

Take the superstructure off, and it definitely takes less space.  Safety and convenience will be the selling points.  Vulnerability to attack while under weigh will be a consideration.

I have a feeling that if the terrorism stuff isn't settled soon, travel will become travail to the point where alternatives will be sought: E,g. video conferencing, remote shopping, etc.  Could be become the Aurorans? (REF: The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov).

Snugies    89
  • Original Poster
  • it seems very safe though and cheap. as electricity is definitely cheaper than gasoline. But no scenery to look at. For SimCity nuts air travel of course is enjoyable in a window seat looking at cities. However Calgary airport is east of the city in some farm fields and I remember landing on a flight from Toronto coming in from the east and some people from Toronto looking out the window saying "we are landing?". I also wonder about waste disposal I guess waste would have to be stored on it then disposed off.  

hmm interesteng

this honastly made me think of thos vacum tubes at the drive-up bank, u know, the ones with the pod whar u stick ur id and stuff into, it vacums into the bank and coms back with money? haha

This reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons with Mr Burns. I never realised pneumatic piping was a reality... I thought it was science fiction.

Still I'll stick to good old slow-speed rail thank you very much. Much more pleasant.  

Being shot through a tube at 800 MPH sounds like one heck of an amusement park ride . But not too keene on how it might stop at the end . My money at the bank stops rather abruptly and hard . No drinks allowed , LOL .

Snugies    89
  • Original Poster
  • ya the article said that air would build up in front of the capsule therefor the fan pulls it through. I guess to slow down they would just turn off the fan and create an air cushion. It's about time we get some interesting new technology for moving around. And hopefully people can get individual capsules...so they are not worried about crime like on other public transit options.   

The power requirements for maglev are such that it becomes impractical over long hauls.  However, better magnetic materials are in the works.  If we understood magnetism better it could be more useful.  Truth told, like many other things, we can use it, but we really don't understand it.

I really don't see the point. Why would anyone rather travel from SF to Los Angeles in thirty minutes in a pneumatic tube when they could travel in comfort on steam powered railway carriages? Why would anyone need to get from a to b so fast anyway. They have airline services for that route anyway. 

Getting there by air would take about three hours with all the horse manoeuvres at airport security.  If you'd ever been in LAX you know what a nuisance airports can be when the flight is shorter than the terminal time.

The link can be downtown to downtown. 

Diesel train uses too much fuel, and has a huge carbon footprint by comparison, and California has strict laws about that.

It does sound far fetched. Then again, this is the man that gave us PayPal, SpaceX, and Tesla Motors talking. I have no doubt it could work.

The question is, could it be commercially viable? And could it be politically viable?

The plans are public domain.  The inventor is not going to pursue it unless no one else does.  As for viability, a lot of water has to pass under the bridges before that becomes a consideration.

This reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons with Mr Burns. I never realised pneumatic piping was a reality... I thought it was science fiction.

Still I'll stick to good old slow-speed rail thank you very much. Much more pleasant.  

indeed, I'll leave the pneumatic tubes for the medicines that we send up at our hospital, even then the system isn't foolproof ( it's out of service everywhere if say a bottle of Albumin breaks in the tube system ).  All in all though it's reliable as it can possibly be, the only thing more reliable would be a worm hole type of transport system. 

Reckon railways are the most reliable form of transportation. A tube could get a puncture and then bang it would explode. Rails are made of metal and are proper. Cars can skid in icy weather whereas trains just have to go slower.

Besides this just sounds completely unecessary in this day and age of video conferencing and mobile telephones. Anyone wishing to go from sf to la should just catch a coach or train. Waste of money this silly tube nonsense.

Snugies    89
  • Original Poster
  • if the tubes can speed people faster than planes then I think tubes are better. Planes suck there is no space and they are expensive. Aren't airplane companies the most unprofitable business that exists? because of the oil company greed. The U.S. airlines can barely make money and nobody travels more via air than Americans. I know in Canada a few years back we lost an airline called Canadian. But what kochan I think you are right about is trains, I do really like the idea of rail as well. Especially high speed rail I just think in North America we need another transit option other than planes and cars. But I think there is powerful political forces that doesn't want it. And all thanks to terrorism and immigration issues North America is going backwards as far as North American integration is concerned. But I guess that's what the republicans wanted so whatever they seem to get whatever they want. No this has nothing to do with the fact that the American establishment isn't making as much money off of globalization that they thought they would.

"Short haul" has different definitions, especially between Europe and North America.  Short jumps between cities in Europe are quite feasible because the distances are not all that much.  I think everyone will agree that a short haul system between say Berlin and Moscow would not work, but between say Strasbourg and Paris might.

Except for areas like the Golden Horseshoe in Ontario, short haul doesn't really exist.  Toronto-Ottawa is a long jump, and Toronto-Montreal is an overnight by train.  The idea of the vacuum tube train for Canadian cities is definitely unlikely.  Perhaps Calgary-Edmonton might work, and Toronto-Hamilton.

Then, of course, there is the climate.  How one of these would function in the Canadian winter is a question worth asking.  We don't have the kind of Mediterranean climate that exists along the California coast.