Sign in to follow this  
sn1975

Is it possible to re-use a city as a template for a new city?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

Is it possible to create a basic city layout, for example just trees, roads and water pipes and then re-use this city as a template to create a new city, either within the same or different region?

I appriciate that the template city and the new city will need to be the same size?

Many thanks.

Yes, existing cities can be added by clicking the "Import City" icon. This is available when selecting the tile (you want to replace) in region view. A list will then open of your saved cities. As you say, the tile size will need to match.

Also, if you intend to use neighbour connections, it might be worth considering how the roads / pipes will align.

Be sure you have a copy of the city stashed somewhere, because the import city option moves the file from where ever it is.

The sequence of operation should be:

1. copy the template city to the C:\...\SimCity 4\Downloads folder
  2. import the city from the Downloads folder
  3. rename the city to be what you want it to be now

Have fun with this.  Because I usually start cities on the basis of the terrain, I can't see much use for this.  The import copies the terrain.

Would make for an interesting blind study though. All participants were given the same template & plugins folder, allowed to run the sim on turtle for 'x' amount of years. Think it would make for cool comparisons based on the mayor's style of development.

Maybe there could be a few other stringent guidelines to up the difficulty a bit. Could even make it so that you start with $0 and have to take out a loan to start developing.

Anyway... I'm rambling....

I really miss the scenarios from SC2000. All SC4 has to offer is the last tutorial, a city with many problems. I have 3 versions of it I'm playing as scenarios and 50-60 years later they all look very different.