Sign in to follow this  
cnyle

High Tech will move in and then abandoned?

I have a pretty good city going finally but I have something going on with my IHT. I have a high demand for IHT, but once I zone and they build, the buildings will become abandoned soon after. All the requirements are met, as far as I know, but I can't figure out why the buildings keep going abandoned. Also, whats the thought on the research labs. Should I plop one down or not. I can do either the regular or advanced lab, but I have read about the radiation pollution and I dont want to create any further problems for my city. Thanks! 

Problems with low desirability perhaps? I-HT will abandon if it develops in a polluted area.

As for the research centers, don't worry about the radiation. All that means is that you need to put the centers outside of your urban core with no buildings immediately touching them.

Let's make sure we have a level playing field here.  What is the build version of your game?  If it is less than 1,1,638 you cannot load the NAM (or any other recent custom content for that matter).

Answering from the top, Nope on the I-HT bug fix, I do not have that installed, secondly as far as the desirability goes its all the way up for I-HT, and once it did reach a high point, I zoned an area away from my dirty industry just for the HT. They will build, but they just wont come lol. And lastly I have version 

1.1.638.0. I was hesitant to install any mods too soon because I wanted to get the hang of things before I started adding a lot of content, but in reading all the past topics about the traffic problems, I did install the NAM, that and the police mod to calm things down at the airport and that's it for custom content. 

I wanted to add, the buildings never seem like the have a full work force in them either. And before they do move out, when things are looking dingey, the jobs might be something like 8/48 or some way lop sided number like that. 

Wait, you said you waited until the desirability was up?  You don't have to wait for desirability you can even create it, are you sure you didn't mean demand?  You say your game is patched so that eliminates that, and you have NAM so that eliminates(partially) nobody being able to get there.  The only thing left is desirability.  If you waited for demand to be up for I-HT then all you needed to do was zone it in a desirable spot.  "away from dirty industry" is not necessarily the most desirable location.  The area could have water pollution still or traffic noise, of all the zones in the game I-HT is the most picky.  

There is one more problem that could cause this, a lack of workforce.  I-HT needs people of all three wealths to function normally.  If your city is out of proportion with how the wealths in this game work that could very well be your problem as well.  More medium wealth people work I-HT than any one else.

Think about it like this, High wealth residents are managers and CEO's, medium wealth people are laborers and low wealth people mop the floors and take out the trash.  You actually NEED all three wealths in your cities.

Other abandonment issues would be lack of power and lack of water, but I am assuming you would have told us if that was the problem.

So that covers.... Oh wait, there is one more that will cause your I-HT to dilapidate, freight trip time.  If your trip time is too long that can cause dilapidation, possibly abandonment, so make sure your goods can get to the edge of the map and out of it.

Ok, now that REALLY covers all causes of I-HT abandonment/dilapidation.

Good luck.

Nope on the I-HT bug fix, I do not have that installed

It might not have a direct affect to your HT abandonment, but you don't want R$$$ abandonment soon after building HT either, so it might be a good idea to install it. Just be cautious of the installation process of dat packing it to get it to work. It sounds more difficult than it really is.

I think I might have THIS problem figured out. I started looking at everything to see what might be going on, and what I found was what I would consider moderate air pollution around the abandoned HT buildings. Using some of the anti-pollution trees seemed to fix the problem. I even noticed some of the buildings changing from the dingy gray back to their original color. I have zoned more industry and it has all filled in with HT. So time will tell, but infamousjbe did touch on another problem starting to happen, but now I have some R$$$ abandonment. I will keep a watch on it for a bit and see what happens, if it continues I will look into the I-HT bug fix. Thanks for the help, I'm getting close to 100,000 sims for the first time. 

I suggest you might want to scale back on the high-density industrial zoning.  What playing style are you using?  Are you trying to get a city with more than 15% R$$$.  If so, this is against the algorithms programmed into the game.  You can do it, but abandonment will follow.

A CO$$$ building contains many jobs for other classes.  If you have the Extra Cheats DLL loaded, you can verify this.  Activate your query operator (/) then hold down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and move the operator over any building.  You will get the full statistics for the building.  This debugging tool from the developers is one of the better kept secrets of the game.

As far as my style goes, I'm just trying to make everyone happy and to keep my city in the black. Which at this point things are going really well profit wise. This was driving my nuts to see a new building pop up, and by the time I made my rounds checking the entire city, they would be gone when I made it back to them And to Metalpuritan, I did mean demand when I first started asking about my problem. The demand for I-HT the bar is all the way to the top. 

Well, it all depends on your play style too. I know you usually build smaller more rural areas and it probably doesn't effect your simulation much. But the I-HT is very crucial. There will be a time when your population size, and education will warrant the shift from I-M to I-HT, this causes a rounding area with the 10% shift of employees, a normal progression when education and economic demands evolve. This 10% causes a rounding error in the simulator's math though and reduces the demand to zero once it's ready to take hold in the simulation. The I-HT bug fixes this by changing it to 12%, which eliminates the rounding error. I would guess this is what you're experiencing, but I don't know for sure, depends on how your city is running and how big it is

Very likely.  It may be essential if you expect any I-HT in great volume.  A lot of fiddling around just to fix a small bug.  I am not enamoured of having to fix the game residency to really accomplish this.  datPacker doesn't run under wine very well, so I'd have to use Files2DAT, which will accomplish the same thing.  Main difference is it doesn't need a particular version of Python.  Interpreted languages are always a problem when programs are not maintained to current or can't be fixed as a pure exe without a lot of library support.

This sim is driving me crazy, where's the balance at? After running an hour or so today, I'm now getting my R$$$ either going to R$$ or leaving all together, and my R$$ is dropping to R$. For me, just starting out, it seems like you satisfy one area only to have an effect or another. Is this where the bug fix comes into play? I read about it and it seems like it takes some work to get it installed. This might sound like a gripe, I'm not but its hard to see my city turning dingier (if thats a word lol) by the minute. Also one other question, on the damand graph, the numbers on the side do they represent the actual number of say how many R$$ that is needed? I see some areas that are topped out to 6000. 

^It sounds more like over zoning of of your R areas.

I play so slow, I have a hard time keeping R$ to stay put and not be put out by the higher incomes. 

Plus, you'll always want to cut back on R$$$ (especially mansions). You don't need a lot of R$$$ sims in your cities. You're better off with R$$ mostly. Use the "make historical" more often on your R$/R$$ buildings, and that will keep them from upgrading to the next wealth an then leaving again.

And yes, the sim works exactly how you describe it, it's not a bug. You appease one only to starve the next and it's a cycle. You'd never want to establish true balance in a development game, or the development would stagger out. You always want progression in the form of demand one way or another to keep the city growing.

One of the deep dark secrets is to prevent the construction of mansions early in the game.  This means abandoning click and hold zoning and making your R zones manually in such a way that no 3 x 3 nor 4 x 4 lots can be created by joining lots.

I don't think there are any 1 x 1 R lots in stages 1 and 2 of the game, but by the time you get to stage 3 things seem to have relented.  Have a look at this rather old snapshot:

packedR.jpg

I often start R lots out by zoning 2 x 1 manually in short blocks, back to back.  What you get, usually, are the same lots that you'd get as 1 x 2, but there is no way a block can be put together to make a mansion.  Ergo, no R$$$ mansions.  Later on, I zone 1 x 1 around the edges of my farms holding down the shift key to prevent vicarious streets.

To make a 2 x 1 lot you have to hold the control key.  Simple as that.  If you are up against a road with a street running off and you want the lot to face the street hold both control and alt.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it is part of the game.  I run in Turtle when I am doing this, so there is lots of time to get it right.