Sign in to follow this  
mb1.0.2

Mayor Rating flat-lines as soon as simulation "starts."

Hey, all. This is my first thread here (a help thread, go figure). I've been excitedly building my "big city" in my region, laying out the roads, plopping some landmarks, etc. However, I've run into a real issue that I can't seem to figure out:

At first, I plopped all my service buildings and started zoning as normal; I had a lot of R$$$, but due to "commute time" they kept going abandoned. Eventually, I simply decided to quit without saving and change my strategy. During that play, I had no mayor rating issues.

I then installed the Radical Ordinance Mod...and then decided to simply zone one little residential area. It filled up immediately with R$. I went in, saw that all those "radical" ordinances were clicked, and unclicked them, as I wasn't ready for the massive changes they created. However, as soon as that happened, my mayor rating inexplicably plummeted to -200! There were riots immediately. I quickly exited the game without a save and removed the radical ordinance mod (as I assumed that was the problem). When I tried the same thing again, the exact same thing happened. Only this time, all the vanilla ordinances were checked (which seemed odd considering I removed the Radical Ordinance Mod). Again, one little R zone fills in and boom, mayor rating goes to -200.

Is there something I can do to rectify the situation (other than having to restart)? This is the first map I've been really excited about and was actually considering making it my first SC4 City Journal. Do you know of any mods that might be causing this issue? Anything about the way the game works I might be missing? A bit of info that might help:

- I'm using several mods, but most are buildings. The "important" ones are Industry quadrupler and the NAM.

- I have several plopped buildings around the city, ranging from transit to landmarks, but none provide jobs.

- I have a neighboring industrial city with about 800 jobs that need filling

- Any worker commuting has a commute time of "long" even though they're close to the edge of the map that has the neighboring city and there's lots of public transportation and city connections

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Hopefully someone out there had the same problem and knows a simple solution...I'd hate to have to go through my plugin folder to track down whatever the culprit is (as I assume it's a mod that mucking things up).

First of all, what version of the game are you running? Check by hovering your mouse over your SimCity 4.exe file (in Program Files > Maxis > SimCity 4 Deluxe > Apps). If it's anything less than 1.1.638.0, you'll need to apply the from EP1 update, which can be downloaded from SC4 Devotion. Select the correct SKU version that matches your game's region.

I suggest the next step is to test the game without any plugins. A simple way is to rename your documents plugins folder. When starting the game, a new empty plugins folder will be created and loaded. If the problem can't be recreated, we'll know it's caused by a plugin.

It'll then require a process of elimination to find the culprit. This involves splitting your plugins into halves. When the problem doesn't occur after testing, that group of plugins is clean. Then test the next half, etc... Please see for a full explanation.

If this file is a lot, you'll need to bulldoze any instances in your cities.

The game is fully patched. Like I said, it was simulating just fine before the Radical Ordinance Mod. But when I deleted the mod, I'm still having the affects, which is odd.

I'll try the halving. Thanks.

EDIT: In addition, just for kicks, I put the ROM back in my game and ran the city. It brought my mayor rating all the way up to 20, haha. Still not right...so now I'm not sure if it is the Radical Ordinance Mod or not.

Radical <anything> mod is for the creator and anyone who fully understands what is going to happen.  My 10 year experience with this game says don't use any of the so-called radical mods.  They usually manage to excite the bugs in the game.

The OP sounds like a user in a hurry.  That's too bad because this is a leisure time pursuit.  Run in Turtle, go slow, develop carefully, don't lay out a big grid full of useless zones.  Make like a real city.  Grow it from a small village, proceeding naturally.  You may have a plan in mind, even on paper, but don't try to impose it on the game:  Grow into it.  Toronto was once an Indian village, then Muddy York, etc. and gay Paree was once a Roman camp called Lutetia.

Enjoy the animation, stay in the black, and have fun.  There is no final goal or winning strategy.  And play on hard mode to shut the advisors up.  It is more difficult to get going, but you can always use the Extra Cheats DLL moolah command to give a grant in aid.  This little debug aid from the developers allows you to reset the balance of your treasury.

I apologize if my style of game play as you've inferred based on my initial post upsets you (as it seems from the tone your message appears to display). I, too, have been playing this game for 10 years...maybe not publicly, but still, I'm aware of how the game works (more or less). I've developed slowly--in fact, that's usually the only way I've played. I was merely inspired by Haljackey's most recent city journal and attempted to build a city using that particular method. I really don't think there's one "correct" way to play a game like this, but to each their own. I'm familiar with several mods in the game and have been using them for many years.

I was merely asking if anyone had had the same trouble with the radical ordinance mod and if so, how to fix it. I've definitely learned my lesson, though, and won't be using that mod any time soon. Again, apologies if you were offended by my original post. Just looking for some help from some more experienced players.

Oh, I don't think that anyone is offended.  It is just that more experienced players have made all these mistakes and we would like to help you avoid them.  Since this is an open-ended program, it can be run any way you like.  It is just that some paths to greatness fall over a cliff.

Thanks for that reply. I appreciate it. :)

And I get what you're saying, haha. I've downloaded more mods in the last few weeks than in the last several years and I'm still trying to figure some of them out.

I learned my lesson, though...I had to "obliterate" that city and start again. I'll be more careful this time about what I put in it. ;)

Well, you are now well along the learning curve.  This isn't like a blood-and-guts game.  It takes experience and thought to a great degree.  It is not so much a game as an exercise in problem solving: first problem - where to start.  After you've laid down a few lots the problems multiply like yeast.