Sign in to follow this  
Frode789

Update 7 - traffic tuning and overpass tool

So this looks like the best update so far. Just read the traffic tuning blog, which brings some well needed path tuning. (http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-traffic-tuning)

traffictuning_1.gif

--> Awesome. No more everyone running like headless chickens to the first job, then everyone for next free job, and so on..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 7 Changes Currently in Testing

• New: Brand new tool to create bridges, overpasses, and tunnels when you draw your roads.

When building your road, pressing the , key or . key will lower or raise the road accordingly creating overpasses, bridges and tunnels.

Note: Existing road layouts cannot be raised or lowered

• New: Improvements for Traffic behavior to make it smarter. This should reduce the number of lines formed by all available vehicles converging on a single spot. This affects all vehicles including Police, Fire Trucks, Moving Trucks, Garbage Trucks, Recycling Trucks, Resource Trucks, Buses, Ambulances, and Civilian vehicles going home, to work, or shopping.

• New: Tree tools – Place individual trees around your city. These tools are located at the end of the Nature Parks palette.

• Terrain: Fixes an issue some player’s see where terrain covers sections of roads while the camera is zoomed out.

• Fixed an issue where the fire animation would sometimes continue when fire was extinguished.

• Parks: Sports parks are now accepting Sims 24 hours a day.

• Airship: The number of Airship passenger trips should now be correct over multiple days.

• Vehicles: Vehicles now accelerate and decelerate faster, allowing them to leave buildings and go through intersections more efficiently.

• Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.

• Gifting: Money gifting should be more reliable.

I just wish they got some left turn lanes already. There's room in the median for them for avenues.

I agree but street cars would stuff this right up when they take up the space in the median!

Speaking of Is there any word on elevated/sunk streetcar tracks? It would be good if you could use this stuff to make a DIY subway system as a stop gap before the inevitable subway DLC.

Speaking of Is there any word on elevated/sunk streetcar tracks? It would be good if you could use this stuff to make a DIY subway system as a stop gap before the inevitable subway DLC.

You can raise and lower streetcar tracks, but the stops still need to be placed on surface tracks.

You can raise and lower streetcar tracks, but the stops still need to be placed on surface tracks.

That's great. Any ETA on this update?

• Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.

Seems like a good idea....

You can raise and lower streetcar tracks, but the stops still need to be placed on surface tracks. Excellent, I am really looking forward to playing around with this update!

Finally an update which addresses some of the real issues. I M sure I saw this traffic suggestion on this forum a while back. Community input maybe? Now make the maps bigger and we can all be friends again.

Later this month.

I wonder how many problems the traffic update will fix. I'm very happy it is working as I hoped it would: target's get 'marked'. But to be honest, as essential (and possibly biggest patch change) as the traffic update is, I'm mostly looking foreward to creating new traveling systems with the overpass/tunnel tool.

Will you look at regional commuting bugs next Guilaume, please pretty please? With freight and industry's new role, regional commuting is so important to keeping commercial and tourism cities alive.

Later this month.

Thanks. looking forward to it. SC is getting better day by day.

Now make the maps bigger and we can all be friends again.

The "question of a million dollars."

With the word mr. Guillaume ...

Ps: Curiosity ... what will be now the future of Glassbox with the new team ?

It's funny mr guillame definitely saw my post but just didnt bother answering. Now that's not how to make friends is it?

Next time quote his post and he'll take notice. About your question What if the answer is under NDA?

This is a step in the right direction.

This will involve me taking out a few loans in my cities to make the layout the way I would like. One disadvantage of this is that you currently cannot place any sort of building below an overpass, so including too many might leave less room for zoning.

I am too hoping for larger plots of land in the future, but my frame of mind is that if we ask for larger plots, why not just ask for THE WHOLE MAP, with a restriction placed on being a certain distance from the highway to place your City Hall. That is my dream, but in the meantime, I think Maxis and EA are making some good advancements with this game.

Played since day 1, still play today!

As CosmicSpeed said, it's a step in the right direction. I hope this fixes a majority of the traffic simulations, as asides from the lack of space, the traffic simulation was the biggest gripe of mine.

I'm wondering if the average player has a computer powerful enough to handle larger map sizes or if the glassbox could even handle it?  That seems to be a logical sticking point as to why the tile sizes are so small. 

I'm wondering if the average player has a computer powerful enough to handle larger map sizes or if the glassbox could even handle it?  That seems to be a logical sticking point as to why the tile sizes are so small. 

I am thinking that is a huge reason why larger cities might not work. The syncing and connection between different cities will be taxing.

I am thinking that is a huge reason why larger cities might not work. The syncing and connection between different cities will be taxing.

But then why not many small cities attached to each other making a single huge Metropolis?

But then why not many small cities attached to each other making a single huge Metropolis?

This. Get rid of the useless space between the tiles and I'd be very happy.

I still think they have that space open for a future update to increase city size.  This way you have space to expand into.

I still think they have that space open for a future update to increase city size.  This way you have space to expand into.

I think the idea that a city can purchase the land around it, not with real money!!!, with similoens it earns but make it a bit harder i.e designate some as protected national forest park maybe which could also act as a tourist hotspot and if a city wants to expand outside its boundaries make the land around pretty expensive so that this is a hard process with the money going into a region pot of some sort. I think you get my idea, either way regardless of whether EA does it or the mod team do it larger maps will eventually happen. The people that complain about the performance issues, i am sorry but either go get yourself a new computer or be quite. You dont expect to be able to play GTA on a 5 year old computer the same goes for Simcity. Games drive the technology forward. 

996590_620351241332489_234905677_n.jpg

The French SimCity Page has posted a picture showing off the new overpass.

I think that looks pretty badass and is a huge improvement!

Did you see the latest youtube movie with the overpasses, sunken highways, tunnels and underground streetcars?

Did you see the latest youtube movie with the overpasses, sunken highways, tunnels and underground streetcars?

Now I have. I didn't know Gulliame Pierre actually has a french accent. It's pretty amazing! can't wait!

Link: 

Re: the video above

Are they going to put all the road segments onto one screen so you don't have to click to get to high-density and HD streetcar?  AWESOME! 

I usually start out with an avenue from the region connection, but if I have the maps tool up so I can check for deposits so I can run the road over/near them, I can't click the medium avenue.

Are they going to put all the road segments onto one screen so you don't have to click to get to high-density and HD streetcar?  AWESOME! 

This depends of the screen resolution. On 1920x1080 all the road types are displayed next to each other. I don't know what the minimum resolution is to get them next to each other.

This depends of the screen resolution. On 1920x1080 all the road types are displayed next to each other. I don't know what the minimum resolution is to get them next to each other.

Ah.  I use 1024 x 768.