Sign in to follow this  
infamousjbe

Farm Field Compatibility Question

Could anyone tell me if the and/or fields work with SPAM installed??

Doesn't say in the Read Me, nothing in the comments, and couldn't find any threads pertaining to my question.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You can take a look into the farm's main building exemplar, using the Reader. There is a property there listing the farm-fields that can grow with the farm. You can also open the plugins containing the farm-fields in another instance(-s) of the Reader, and use the Navigator command to get a list of the i-Ag buildings they contain (for easy comparison). If you find that they are not compatible, you can easily add them yourself (add the farm-fields IIDs to the list).

You can take a look into the farm's main building exemplar, using the Reader. There is a property there listing the farm-fields that can grow with the farm.

I've only just started getting into the reader, so please excuse my ignorance with certain aspects when talking about the reader.

Within the Sunflower dl'ed folder there are 3 files.

Lot: 1 Exemplar Type/Name = LotConf/Farm Field  also LD, PNG, DIR

Model: No Exemplar    only JIFF, BMP, XML, DIR

Desc: 1 Exemplar Type = Prop   also DIR, XML <- the only one with Property IDs

Which is the one that refers to the farms/buildings?  

I don't believe the field comes with a building of it's own, just a field. Didn't see anything within the dl'ed files that was a building.

You can also open the plugins containing the farm-fields in another instance(-s) of the Reader, and use the Navigator command to get a list of the i-Ag buildings they contain (for easy comparison)

When you state this, do you mean open/navigate the SPAM files using a second instance of the Reader, to find out if they are compatible? and does it have anything to do with the ParentCohort values?

Just so I think I understand a bit, I will be comparing Hex values across both exemplars?

If you find that they are not compatible, you can easily add them yourself (add the farm-fields IIDs to the list).

When/If I get this far with the "lesson", this will also probably need a bit of explanation to complete. 

Thank you for your help so far.

If you take a closer look into simcity_1.dat (use the Navigator Tool and go to "Industrial Resource") you will find that there are farm-fields Lots and Buildings. They are in a 1:1 setting, with each Lot having the same IID with its corresponding Building. Buildings may not necessarily (and usually don't) display any visible model. Farm-feld lots are just like all other lots, they have textures, maybe props etc, and of course one "Building" line (a LotConfig line with the 1st rep set to 0).

I did take a look in the Sunflower and Grain farm-fields you linked, and yes they do not contain a "Building" exemplar. How do they work then? Well, their IIDs are 0xEA6E4721 and 0x00024100. There are two lots with the same IDs in simcity_1.dat, and this means that these override (replace) the Maxis "Pasture" and "Lettuce Field" farm-field lots (they use the building exemplars in simcity_1.dat). Unfortunately this is not mentioned in the Readme or in the Lot Description. So the Sunflower and Grain farm-fields wil be growing with the Maxis farms. Something I didn't like very much, these fields contain a big number of props (the same prop used many times in each field lot). possibly overloading the graphics engine, if they are grown over large areas, and that's possibly why the uploader provided a "No Shadows" version as well.

To see if these farm-fields can grow with the SPAM farms too, you can open the SPAM farm(s) you are interested in, find the building exemplar and check the "Field Lots" property (if the 0xEA6E4721 and/or 0x00024100 fields are included in the list).

Before I actually found if I needed to mod anything, it popped up on one of my fields.

So in answer, yes the Sunflower fields are compatible with SPAM.