• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
ROFLyoshi

The 10,000 Post thread V3

5,888 posts in this topic

1 10,000: Boom.

DAMMIT!

Sorry dude! But as a consolation you get to start the new thread! :D

1. 2 post rule is in effect, as with any forum game. If you are unsure what that is, go see the forum game rules.

2. Your post cannot be just the number, generally it should follow the ongoing conversation.

3. Spamming is strictly prohibited and doing so will have you be smitten by bunnies.

4. Obviously, include the number in your post.

For reference:

So is this the real one? Or was Duke making it? Delete me if you need to.

Well, that was exciting. Onwards to the next 10,000!

(0008)

Well, with all that taken care of, now I am going to bed. See y'all in the morning.

Well, I made more posts last thread than I did the one before, I'll see if I can make more this thread than the last one! I'd really like to break 10% of the total posts over all three threads. That requires I make 1058 posts.

So I did a lot better then I thought I would... even with that whole not being around for a couple of years.

Indeed, but some are more best than others. :P

Will v2 be pinned like the original was?

I recon then should add an extra zero to each new thread version thats made (ie: v1 wud be 10,000, v2 100,000, v3 1000,000) >< then it will really be interesting yet probably to a point its impossible to finish a mark and start a new thread or take an extreme long time ><

That was a very sad moment, I was sleeping when the thread reached 10.000 posts :(

Yay for stats!

Well, at least I'll be on the first page of the new thread.  Did you see those stats the last time around?  NUMBER FOUR, BABY!  WOO!  I'll catch you this time, astronelson.  Maybe not, I'm full of empty threats.

(19)

Will v2 be pinned like the original was?

Meh. Honestly, I think it's just confusing to have the old locked thread pinned up top while the one people should be looking for is underneath it, and that would only get sillier with two dead threads up there. So, original thread unpinned. :uhm:

NMUSpidey: I believe the traditional phrase in this situation is "proceed towards me, acquaintance".

Duke: Fair enough.

That was a very sad moment, I was sleeping when the thread reached 10.000 posts :(

Yay for stats!

Same here. I'm gonna try to post more in this one. Maybe I can make it on the leaderboard. 

How much time did it take you to make that?

So I did a lot better then I thought I would... even with that whole not being around for a couple of years.

Yeah I was away for a bit too. One might speculate that the absence of you, myself and Korot had something to do with v2 moving slower. At least a bit. Has anyone heard from Korot recently?

Those are some incredible stats, Duke!

Do you use some kind of data collection software? I can't imagine how long it would take to count each post by hand! :P

(24)

It's not as difficult as you might think. For one thing, it's not like I just sat down and typed in the names for 10,000 posts one day. That file was being updated pretty continuously over the entire course of the thread, so I was usually typing in less than 10 names at a time (I already have a new one going for this thread). The most work happened whenever a newcomer came to the thread, forcing me to scroll up and add their name to the rankings.

As for the list itself, Excel is smart enough to autocomplete for you based on previous entries, so unless someone else whose username began with "D" had posted in the thread recently, all I had to do to type my name in is hit D and then hit enter. And even if someone else whose name began with "D" had posted recently, unless it also began with "Du", typing my name just became D, U, enter.

Korot last logged in a couple months ago and has not made any posts since 2011.

I haven't been to a live event (concert, sports game, etc.) in over a year. 

Movies are a different story. Last movie I saw in theatres was 42. Good movie. :)

(30)

Supposedly some of these people had made appearances on various shows but I'd never heard of any of them. But then again, the number of comedians whose names I am familiar with is not that large.