• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Easy Bakes

Interesting Science Stuff Thread

1,168 posts in this topic

I seem to recall that Dolly the sheep aged out starting with the age she was when the clone was created, and died right on time.  If clones are created from tissue sample of a certain age then the anti-agathic work may make it nonviable.

I seem to recall that Dolly the sheep aged out starting with the age she was when the clone was created, and died right on time.  If clones are created from tissue sample of a certain age then the anti-agathic work may make it nonviable.

I believe the problem of aging will be fixed within my generation's expected lifespan. First, it will benefit cloned meat, then it will benefit cloned organs, eventually it will allow for eternal youth (so that injury would become the main source of death).

Fundamentals of the Universe Being Sought (again!)

"I taught I taw a graviton".  Someone said this at CERN before the last LHC upgrade but "it" disappeared "into another dimension very quickly".

Well, if there are gravity waves, there are likely to be gravity particles (gravitons).  Without these particles with wave-like characteristics, the Quantum Theory is in trouble.  Without the gravity waves, General Relativity is in trouble.  If GR has problems what about c being the speed limit?

Imagine what would happen if we figured out how to generate these things.  Would it open the door to understanding magnetism as well as gravity?  There are so many unanswered questions.

Fantozzi likes this

Fundamentals of the Universe Being Sought (again!)

"I taught I taw a graviton".  Someone said this at CERN before the last LHC upgrade but "it" disappeared "into another dimension very quickly".

Well, if there are gravity waves, there are likely to be gravity particles (gravitons).  Without these particles with wave-like characteristics, the Quantum Theory is in trouble.  Without the gravity waves, General Relativity is in trouble.  If GR has problems what about c being the speed limit?

Imagine what would happen if we figured out how to generate these things.  Would it open the door to understanding magnetism as well as gravity?  There are so many unanswered questions.

If I understood it right, gravitons are like dark energy - they must be there or we have to rewrite the history of the universe. Quite fascinating. Most of the time physics were quite good. What they foresaw most of the time was discovered later. They didn't fail as often as me f. e. I forsaw I would become rich and I forsaw the third and fourth and fifth world war and so on.

Amongst the thinkers I am a ghost light.

And gravitons - they seem to be the Fantozzis of physics.

Edited by fantozzi

The only way they'll ever get enough energy to operate a warp drive or create a worm hole will be to get a handle on gravity and magnetism, which might turn out to be two colours of the same particle.  I think the (slightly damaged) standard model may be in for an overhaul.

Who knows?  Maybe the name for solidified graviton particles will be Dylithium.

1. It would be better to utilize the expansive force in the universe than gravity because it is stronger/more abundant.

2. Li2 can exist. It has a bond angle of 1/2, which makes it unstable. If a way to stabilize the structure (possibly in a specialized crystalline form) is invented, Bilithium crystals could become powerful batteries.

A Nonny Moose likes this

^ We know that the days of Middle Earth perished long, long ago.  This kind of mystery is probably worth a few doctorates in paleontology.  These guys will discover more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.  Digging into the remote past is strictly an academic game.

And now, the final proof that Einstein got it right.

All good theories make predictions that need to be proven.  Finding gravity waves is the final proof of general relativity.  Now science needs to get going on the Unified Field Theory that so eluded the great Albert.

This is the first real breakthrough on what gravity is all about.  Applications may be a few years off, but we know now that we have not gone as far as we could go.

OcramsRzr likes this

Hyperloop.

The next point to point transportation system?  Good and obsolete by the time it gets through all the red tape.

A first look at the James Webb Space Telescope.

Unlike the Hubble, this baby has to be dead on the first time.  It is going to be in L2 (Lagrange point 2) which is beyond the reach of any current manned vehicle.

For non-astronomy buffs, the Lagrange points are spots where the pull of gravity between celestial bodies is exactly in balance, so anything put there stays they without corrections.  L5, for example, would be a great spot for the ISS if we could only service it there.

So for just a little more than this year's budget of the TSA (and ignoring that fact that it's not just the US paying for this thing), we could put one of these things up into all 5 lagrangian points where surely at least one would unfold properly.  Far better use for the money if you ask me.  Shoot, let's put some around Mars, too - farther out, smaller planet, no significant moons, better view.

Getting funds for pure research operations out of a set of politicians is like finding teeth in a hen house.  Most of the pols are not scientifically oriented at all since most of them are lawyers, and will split hairs and nit pick over anything that doesn't please them without regard to the common good.

ESA live stream from mars will start today, estimated 17:30 (CEST).

HERE

[EDIT]

On top of the webpage is a countdown timer.

Aim of the ExoMars mission (Europe/Russia) is to search for lifeforms on the red planet.

The remains of Lonesome George, wo died in 2012, return to Galapagos on friday.

Lonesome George was the last exemplar of chelonoidis abingdoni, a giant tortoise species. Natural scientist introduced female tortoises of other species to him in the hope he would have descendants. But for decades he refused any closer relationship with any other tortoise. So the name fits - he was a really lonely guy.

A recently published study claimes that a human species lived 130.000 ago in south america.

The oldest remains of a homo sapiens outside of africa found so far, were excavated in Israel and are 110.000 years old. So if this study is right, most probably the 'out of africa theory' can't be right.

Oldest Neandertaler remains in Europe are ~130.000 years old. So human races would have appeared almost the same time on different continents!