Sign in to follow this  
jas19illini

Education

So I have 185k people in my city, and I have a university, but my education level is 1 out of 5. Can someone explain why? Do I need grade schools and/or a high school?

So I have 185k people in my city, and I have a university, but my education level is 1 out of 5. Can someone explain why? Do I need grade schools and/or a high school?

Click on the education icon in the build menu, then check out the info panel that pops up on the bottom-right of your screen. It will say "X of Y enrolled." X is how many people are currently going to school/university, and Y is how many potential students are in your city. The greater the discrepancy between X and Y, the lower you education level will be.

Yeah I Agree with AshTym Check to see if your Sims are going to school.

But I would Try Just Adding a highschool, because i believe that Holds the Most Students.

Note* If there are other cities with schools try and place Bus Stops, they may have Buses Going out to pick up your Sims.

Click on the education icon in the build menu, then check out the info panel that pops up on the bottom-right of your screen. It will say "X of Y enrolled." X is how many people are currently going to school/university, and Y is how many potential students are in your city. The greater the discrepancy between X and Y, the lower you education level will be.

Ok, so taking it a step further, how do I get more of my population to attend the university?

Ok, so taking it a step further, how do I get more of my population to attend the university?

Improve road access so that more people can get to class in a timely manner and make sure that the university is in a reachable location. I prefer to keep a normal school just because the buses will help you get better coverage. With colleges and universities, everyone will either drive or take public transit, meaning that there is no dedicated vehicle carrying students to school (they will ride along on a bus or streetcar that happens to stop near the school), and there is a traffic jam each day from students going in and out.

Also, you may just need time. If you recently overhaul your education systems, you may have to wait many days for your sims to increase education level.

Just curious, did you post this because all your factories yelled "no skilled workers" and start abandoning? If so, it's because you built universities too early when your education level is low. I suggest just bulldozing the university and all high tech factories for now, and build college. Let lower tech factories grow and let your education level grows until you can comfortably upgrade to high tech,

Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Level.1: Reduces chance of house producing a blue collar criminal.

Level.2: Reduction in power and water usage.

Level.3: No benefits given.

Level.4: Further reduction in power and water usage

Level.5: Residents install solar panels on roofs greatly reducing power required.

Also from Level.3 Sims start to recycle their garbage and the percentage they do this increases over levels.4 & 5. This can only be taken advantage of if you build a recycling center which may be expensive to start up but can be a good way to make simoleons when used with a trade depot, otherwise only garbage will be collected.

Community College and University raise the Tech Levels for your city's Industry ... simples :)

Jim

Thanks everyone. I didn't know there was a split between grade/high schools being used for education and cc/universities being used for industry tech. I thought universities alone cud help u attain high education levels.

Thanks everyone. I didn't know there was a split between grade/high schools being used for education and cc/universities being used for industry tech. I thought universities alone cud help u attain high education levels.

Universities alone can and do raise the education level for your population. You do not need the grade school and high school at all.

Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Level.5: Residents install solar panels on roofs greatly reducing power required.

Also from Level.3 Sims start to recycle their garbage and the percentage they do this increases over levels.4 & 5. This can only be taken advantage of if you build a recycling center which may be expensive to start up but can be a good way to make simoleons when used with a trade depot, otherwise only garbage will be collected.

Community College and University raise the Tech Levels for your city's Industry ... simples :)

Jim

Wrong. Universities and colleges raise the education level and the tech level of the population. There is no need for the grade school or high school if you have a university or college.

It's true that you don't NEED a grade school or high school. Unfortunately the students won't drive, and the way public transit works, they just get on a bus/streetcar and hope it stops near the university at some point during the day. So if you want maxed education you pretty much need both. I wish they'd add shuttle buses for the university as well.

Edit: My experience comes from having a city with no traffic and plenty of public transportation, but I could never get more than 90% into the university. And that was with 3000 students in the town and each class could hold 3300.

Universities alone can and do raise the education level for your population. You do not need the grade school and high school at all.

>Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Jim

Wrong. Universities and colleges raise the education level and the tech level of the population. There is no need for the grade school or high school if you have a university or college.

It's true that you don't NEED a grade school or high school. Unfortunately the students won't drive, and the way public transit works, they just get on a bus/streetcar and hope it stops near the university at some point during the day. So if you want maxed education you pretty much need both. I wish they'd add shuttle buses for the university as well.

Edit: My experience comes from having a city with no traffic and plenty of public transportation, but I could never get more than 90% into the university. And that was with 3000 students in the town and each class could hold 3300.

You two are both wrong !!! Let me demonstrate so that you do not continue to mislead other players of this game. First of all if you are $%&^! enough to play just sandbox then yes you can go straight ahead and put in Universities and begin to raise your education and tech levels, however this is not the case at all when playing the game in proper mode and without all the cheats enabled, sandbox game mechanics are completely different to the proper game mechanics which is why you are wrong and will always be so when playing only in sandbox mode.

Here is why you are wrong:

After placing a Dept of Education in your newly upgraded City Hall the other education buildings become available but however they are still locked out from placing them unless you satisfy certain criteria.

1. To Place a University you need to educate 1200 students in one day, but to be able to do that you need to have other school buildings open to do so, Correct ? !!!

2. A High School can educate a maximum of 4800 students per day which is more than enough students to unlock the University,

But Wait !!!

3. To unlock the High School it is necessary to educate over 500 students per day to do this.

Now where is it that I can do this I ask myself ? Wait again what could the answer to this be ? That's right I can start with a Grade School !!!

4. A Grade School will educate 150 students per day, and by adding extra classrooms I can raise this to 950 students per day in total.

This is more than enough to unlock the High School, but it is also sufficient to open up a Community College which requires 800 students educated per day to unlock.

So as you can see it is not possible to play a proper game and educate your Sims just using a University as it is required to start with a Grade School to start off the education process and to begin to educate your Sims properly, then as the number of students increase either more Grade Schools are required to educate even more students to unlock all the available buildings in the education menu. In the time it takes to do this your Sims will have already aquired a certain level of education before they can even start University, but in the proper game mode (and not the cheating $%&^! sandbox mode ) the education does not rise only the tech level.

I hope now that this better explains how to educate your Sims and create a nice town, city or metropolis free of crime fires health issues and garbage and that your Sims also use less power and water too.

>Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Jim

You two are both wrong !!! Let me demonstrate so that you do not continue to mislead other players of this game. First of all if you are $%&^! enough to play just sandbox then yes you can go straight ahead and put in Universities and begin to raise your education and tech levels, however this is not the case at all when playing the game in proper mode and without all the cheats enabled, sandbox game mechanics are completely different to the proper game mechanics which is why you are wrong and will always be so when playing only in sandbox mode.

After placing a Dept of Education in your newly upgraded City Hall the other education buildings become available but however they are still locked out from placing them unless you satisfy certain criteria.

1. To Place a University you need to educate 1200 students in one day, but to be able to do that you need to have other school buildings open to do so, Correct ? !!!

2. A High School can educate a maximum of 4800 students per day which is more than enough students to unlock the University,

But Wait !!!

3. To unlock the High School it is necessary to educate over 500 students per day to do this.

Now where is it that I can do this I ask myself ? Wait again what could the answer to this be ? That's right I can start with a Grade School !!!

4. A Grade School will educate 150 students per day, and by adding extra classrooms I can raise this to 950 students per day in total.

This is more than enough to unlock the High School, but it is also sufficient to open up a Community College which requires 800 students educated per day to unlock.

So as you can see it is not possible to play a proper game and educate your Sims just using a University as it is required to start with a Grade School to start off the education process and to begin to educate your Sims properly, then as the number of students increase either more Grade Schools are required to educate even more students to unlock all the available buildings in the education menu. In the time it takes to do this your Sims will have already aquired a certain level of education before they can even start University, but in the proper game mode (and not the cheating $%&^! sandbox mode ) the education does not rise only the tech level.

I hope now that this better explains how to educate your Sims and create a nice town, city or metropolis free of crime fires health issues and garbage and that your Sims also use less power and water too.

You are actually wrong. Once you unlock university/college in one city, it will be unlocked on all cities in the region, so you can build university right away on your second city.

Exactly. JimCityBuilder is wrong. The university etc are unlocked region-wide.You only need one educational facility, not all of them. The university and college raises BOTH education and tech level. And no-one is talking about sandbox mode. You're the one misleading players, JimCityBuilder.

>>Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Jim

lockquote>

>It's true that you don't NEED a grade school or high school. Unfortunately the students won't drive, and the way public transit works, they just get on a bus/streetcar and hope it stops near the university at some point during the day. So if you want maxed education you pretty much need both. I wish they'd add shuttle buses for the university as well.

But Wait !!!

You are actually wrong. Once you unlock university/college in one city, it will be unlocked on all cities in the region, so you can build university right away on your second city.

Exactly. JimCityBuilder is wrong. The university etc are unlocked region-wide.You only need one educational facility, not all of them. The university and college raises BOTH education and tech level. And no-one is talking about sandbox mode. You're the one misleading players, JimCityBuilder.

But Wait !!!

>>Your education level is raised by building either a Grade School or a High School, each of these raises the education level which by the way is associated with the residential building the Sims go back to each day and not individual Sims themselves.

Jim

lockquote>

Wrong. Universities and colleges raise the education level and the tech level of the population. There is no need for the grade school or high school if you have a university o

r college.

e="1364427498">

>It's true that you don't NEED a grade school or high school. Unfortunately the students won't drive, and the way public transit works, they just get on a bus/streetcar and hope it stops near the university at some point during the day. So if you want maxed education you pretty much need both. I wish they'd add shuttle buses for the university as well.

Edit: My experience comes from having a city with no traffic and plenty of public transportation, but I could never get more than 90% into the university. And that was with 3000 students in the town and each class could

hold 3300.

But Wait !!!

If you got to the thread on Grade school or High school ? in the concepts forum threads you will see that i have fully explained the whole principle of setting up and obtaining all the education facilities in Sim City.

And as you have both even said yourselves that all buildings are unlocked across the whole region if they are unlocked in one city, but yet again you are overlooking the simple fact that before you can even get to your University which you seem to pride yourself on obtaining so much someone if not yourselves must first start with the other education buildings before your University can become available whether in your city or someone else's in the region.

Now that is what must be done if the game is played in proper game mode ... Grade Schools lead to Universities !!!

Jim

If you got to the thread on Grade school or High school ? in the concepts forum threads you will see that i have fully explained the whole principle of setting up and obtaining all the education facilities in Sim City.

And as you have both even said yourselves that all buildings are unlocked across the whole region if they are unlocked in one city, but yet again you are overlooking the simple fact that before you can even get to your University which you seem to pride yourself on obtaining so much someone if not yourselves must first start with the other education buildings before your University can become available whether in your city or someone else's in the region.

Now that is what must be done if the game is played in proper game mode ... Grade Schools lead to Universities !!!

Jim

Settle down, Jim. It's time to let it go. No one's saying you don't have to unlock the university somehow. All anyone's saying is that when all buildings are available, running just the college or the university will suffice for raising both education and tech level.

I have a grade school, college, and university... I skipped out on the high school.. I have all students attending schools (2,633 enrolled out of 2,633) but my education level is starting to lower..why is this ? Should i get the high school ? i want it to go back up

I have a grade school, college, and university... I skipped out on the high school.. I have all students attending schools (2,633 enrolled out of 2,633) but my education level is starting to lower..why is this ? Should i get the high school ? i want it to go back up

All education buildings increase education level. Your population isn't divided into grade-school age, high-school age and university age sims so they don't care which one they go to. One day they'll go to university, then next day they'll go to grade school. You certainly don't need to have one of each building. As far as the fluctuating education level is concerned, I think it's taken as an average, so if you've got a higher worker-to-student ratio than you had previously, the average education level will be lower.