Sign in to follow this  
Fysh

Simcity?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

All the young tackers at work are playing this game called Simcity, has anyone heard of this?

Can you please tell me about it :)

Where can I buy this CD from?

I am a town planner, do you think I would like it?

Welcome to Simtropolis!

Let me start by saying although it has gotten less than stellar reviews, I like this game a lot.  That being said, it does have many problems/bugs that are slowly being fixed with patches.  If you're a city planner this game is right up your alley.  You can get this game from Target.com for 39.99.

I know someone is going to post on this thread ranting about how terrible this game is, but don't let that deter you.  It's a great game and if you haven't played SimCity before (esp 4) you will probably enjoy it a lot.

EDIT:

This game does require you to be on-line to play

If I were you I would look at Sim City 4 as it is known to be used in many educational aplications for city planners. SC4 has more flexibility for scale as you can plan from a small town to a big city experimenting and saving as much as you like. In Sim City 2013 you are limited to a small area and many mechanics that should be for realism is just not there, also you cannot save locally on your hard drive so experimenting back and forth is out because it was made as a multiplayer game. Definitely would not suggest any real town planning because of that fact alone.

On the bright side I heard that Sim City 2013 has dropped in price at Amazon so you can alway get both and judge for yourself which one works best for you.

This game is a broken and buggy mess. There are various launch bugs that haven't been fixed yet. Plus there's always the chance that you'll lose your city because of the always online component. The game restricts you more than SimCity 4 because of the lack of controllable highways, subways, large maps, terraforming, and a host of other things that were simplified in order to make this game suitable for a casual audience. I would buy SimCity 4 if I were you. It might not have 3D graphics since it was released 10 years ago but it has everything else that SimCity 2013 does not including large contiguous maps.

imo if u have never played a city builder simcity 2013 would be a good start, as it is very basic. once u think u have gotten the hang of it i would suggest moving onto simcity 4 if you would prefer alot more options and depth.