Sign in to follow this  
UndercoverNinja12

Can I make folders for my plugins folder?

So I've been downloading a lot of BATs and lots lately, and they go in the plugins folder, I'm 99.9% sure of that, but I haven't downloaded in a while. Could I make a folder in my plugins folder, and name it like "bridges" or "buildings", etc.? I'm just wondering, cuz if I get a whole bunch of files organization will be a mess.

Yes, absolutely.

In fact, it's recommended to create a logical structure, as it becomes easier to locate and manage specific content. There's no limit to the number of subfolders you can create. Also, having lots of them won't significantly impact loading times (although more files will slow your game down). Personally, as well as BATs and lots, I also recommend creating a folder system to store dependencies (prop and texture packs). This makes it easier to know what files you already have, and the ones you may still require.

There are many different ways to organise your plugins folder, so there's no right or wrong methods. But as a guideline, a thread with some examples.

yes that is perfectly fine...the downfall is, the more folders you have with plugsins within those sub-folders, the slower your game will go...just think of it this way, you have one 'plugin' folder and have everything posted on that one folder, the computer only has to search in that one folder while the game is loading & playing...

On the other hand, sub-folders with more folders or files in each one, your computer has to dig and open all each folder which slows it down...

Ok, thank guys. I think I'll try out sub-folders and see how it works out. My game used to be a little laggy and it occasionally crashes, but I figure in the long run it's worth the risk, at least for now.

As Cyclone Boom wrote: it's recommended to organize your plugins. And also: if you have a working plugin folder and want to install a bunch of new things - make a copy of your plugin folder first. It doesn't take much time and then you can easy step back. Before I installed the new NAM I made a copy of my plugin folder. So I could switch between the old NAM version and the new NAN version by simply replacing the different plugin folders. And I could compare them.

But if you make your own folder system there is one thing to watch out. Some files work as overrides. SC4 loads the files in the order as  they are in the plugin folder. For some files this loading order is important, they must be loaded before or after other (dependend) files.

Meanwhile for me it seams less important to divide lot categories in different folders (parks residential etc.) it became helpful to have all mods or all files related to a mod in one folder. For example: if you keep all files for a terrain mod together (the tree controller, the terain textures etc.) you can make different folders with different terrain mods and can change it by simply replacing the folders.

yes that is perfectly fine...the downfall is, the more folders you have with plugsins within those sub-folders, the slower your game will go...just think of it this way, you have one 'plugin' folder and have everything posted on that one folder, the computer only has to search in that one folder while the game is loading & playing...

On the other hand, sub-folders with more folders or files in each one, your computer has to dig and open all each folder which slows it down...

And you must have measurements showing this.  Please post them with the measurement method.