Sign in to follow this  
jas19illini

highway traffic entering my city

So I built a streetcar avenue from the highway straight through 2/3 of my city. I intersected that avenue with only 2-3 medium density streets with stop signs so the avenue traffic wud be continuously moving down the avenue instead of being stopped by a stop light. Yet I still find that the first 1/3 of my avenue (right off the highway) gets backed up with traffic and idk why. None of the intersections are right near the highway either. So I'm stumped. Thoughts/suggestions?

I should add that my city has 150k people.

Intersections should always be of the same density in busy places, especially on entering your zone. Imagine 3 lanes of highway traffic entering your first intersection and all turning left. That's just a plain old funnel effect.

I tried having a streetcar avenue being the first branch/intersection off of my main streetcar avenue that enters my city and all it did was create bad traffic bc of the stop lights.

I see what ur saying, but I don't think that's it. For example, there was also a jam with people leaving my city, but it was only RIGHT before getting on the highway to leave my city. The cars in the middle lane seemed to just stop before getting on the highway, which jammed up traffic. And no there wasn't an intersection anywhere near the highway, the middle lane cars just decided to throw it in park and eat a sandwich. Lol.

sub 200k pop you shouldn't need any mass transit, if your city is built efficient (if u have built for looks then there is nothing u can do the game is basically a cascade simulator since no one lives anywhere and so on). have u looked around for a misc "bugged" vehicle on one of the streets somewhere? (one just sitting there not doing anything, normally on a weird angle). if its not a bug then all i can suggest is relaying your roads and\or slowly moving your density...

remember build for cascade, you really dont want your sims turning around causing traffic issues because the other 100k Sims headed to that job beat them there.. easiest way...

Keep everything off the main strip,

to do this build parallel avenues, then have your workers and shoppers travel east to west and west to east, while having all of your utility travel north to south, south to north.... this way the only thing on your main strip should be minimal workers shoppers etc, and its left free for emergency, freight, tourists, commuters etc.

Oh this works best if you reroute the main strip to be far north or south...  or u can always build an R only city by lowering taxes, no parks no I no C no traffic Massive income!