Sign in to follow this  
Shortsonfire

Are multiple airports per region necessary?

13 posts in this topic

Hello all.

In an effort to keep my topic posts to a minimum, I am going to continually edit this post with questions that I have about the game.  I have a bunch, and often times the Lounge can't answer them.

Airport and graphical overfundage question:  recent post)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm trying to get my sunken highway to get an on/off ramp with the new NAM31 Symphony pieces. Whenever I mess around with the on/off ramp parts, it changes the slope and the MIS pieces can't connect to it.  I more or less moved on, since I didn't have any need for the highway yet anyways.  I've now found a need for it, and am trying to figure out a way to get the ramps working.  This is my current set up, and I'm not very happy with it.  The ground slopes downward near the water's edge, so the highway is no longer sunken.  I've attempted to make an on/off ramp, but I can't figure out a way to get the MIS to line up with any road that I have within a 1 block distance from the highway.

A place within the bridge or the mall would be an ideal location, unless there are slope onramps that I could use deeper into the city, like on that overpass you can see here.  

Screenshot2013-03-26at125839AM.png

And while I'm here I'll ask this as well.  What would be the best way to connect the MIS parts on the lower side of this bridge?  I couldn't find any pieces that would convert two MIS pieces into a normal road.  I just BSed the road to what it is now, and I'm really unhappy with it.

Screenshot2013-03-26at125959AM.png

Thanks a bunch. :)

Not doing this for some sort of shameless self-plug or anything, but I suggest you give these a try:

You won't be able to use Symphony pieces, but you can still use RHW6C which can transition into Symphony. Here's a video showing it in use and how to use it with a basic setup:

Not doing this for some sort of shameless self-plug or anything, but I suggest you give these a try:

You won't be able to use Symphony pieces, but you can still use RHW6C which can transition into Symphony. Here's a video showing it in use and how to use it with a basic setup:

How do you get the MIS pieces/exits to change elevation like that.  I stink that getting those things to look good when exiting to under/overpasses.

Not on topic, but where did you get those retaining walls? I cant find the ones you are using.

I can't recall what they're called, but I believe I searched for "highway wall". These are also backward, they don't fit if I have them facing the correct way. The shrubs should be above the slope...

Not doing this for some sort of shameless self-plug or anything, but I suggest you give these a try.

I have these (I think you linked them for hellmunkey though), I just haven't decided on how I want to make the switch to 6C yet. The space I've allotted for my highway is a bit constricted, unfortunately. In the first layout of this city, I had 6S but just got fed up with it. I'll look into your parts for a solution, Bipin. Thanks!

I use FARRHW. The FAR exits are able to go on slopes like that.

OK, thanks for the info.  Just more poop I have to learn and play with.  Fitting streams, canals, parks, and RHW in a zone takes a lot of time and planning...

I use FARRHW. The FAR exits are able to go on slopes like that.

OK, thanks for the info.  Just more poop I have to learn and play with.  Fitting streams, canals, parks, and RHW in a zone takes a lot of time and planning...

RHW makes me rage so much. :( Good luck with the FARHW parts. I messed around a bit with them this evening and it was rather difficult for me to get them to line up.

New question: In reference to my picture, I have roughly 3k sims traveling from Verbatim to Celine for the industrial work. If I demolish Celine, will there be problems in Verbatim due to lack of jobs and a sudden decrease in commercial demand and an increase in industrial command?

If I demolish Celine, then immediately start building an industrial tile south of Verbatim, then play Verbatim, will the commuters know to find new work in the new, southern city?

diXlr89.jpg

Thanks!

Get the order right. Establish your new city first.

Thank you Mr. Moose! That worked rather well. I nearly tripled the industrial jobs in the southern city before deleting Celine, and the change in jobs was rather quick!

A couple more questions:

Do you need to have Maxis airports (small municipal, large international, etc) in every city tile to support commercial office growth? I would like to have decent commercial office support in several of the cities in my region that are adjacent to each other and I don't want to have an airport in each tile.

I also wanted to devote a small city tile at the edge of the map to a custom airport (bottom right corner), which is ~3 large tiles from the heart of the region. I don't think the custom airports actually work, so I don't know if that'll affect the international airport already placed. At this point, I wouldn't mind having the custom citysized-airport as well as the Maxis one a few tiles apart from each other. Sims would have to travel from the airport->Celine->Venora->Verbatim->Concord, if that was their destination. This seems a bit far to me, but it was the best way to prevent the eternal commuter bug.

You can see in this pic where the int'l airport will be (bottom right) and I want Verbatim, Venora and Concord, possibly Charlotte as well, to be the main commercial office tiles. Verbatim already has a Maxis int'l airport in it's top corner.

LtoYueF.jpg

And my second question for the day:

I had this graphical glitch in my city where the seawall is invisible but still casts a shadow. At a farther render distance, the seawall comes back. The Lounge told me this is because my city has too much money (currently sitting at $99 trillion). Is there a way to chop my money level to ~99bil? I used which automatically gives you 100tril. Several of my cities have the same value of money, since I use the same money tree in every one. I could potentially be missing some textures because of this that I am completely unaware of! :O note: I tried the moolah cheat with a negative number, but it didn't work.

reABGhQ.jpg

If you are able to provide answers or work arounds for either question, they would be greatly appreciated. :)

You could always just plop really expensive buildings, then bulldoze them.  I think the somy flower shaped reactors costs like 1M to plop down.

As far as airports go, I believe you need one in each city.  I get complaints if I don't build one in each city even though neighboring cities have them. 

Somewhere there is a one or two tile lot that pretends to be an airport.  Theoretically it sends its passengers to a city with one.  Since I only use airports when the game demands one, I don't bother, and just find the land for it.  If I don't have any space, I just ignore the demands.