Sign in to follow this  
TuxedoKamen

Utilities... where to get it and dump it.

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

My population hit 100k! Yaay.

Now I have a problem.. I am running short on Water, Energy (coal), Garbage collection, and Sewage.  Also, I have no room at all to add more utilities.

For Energy I could switch to Petrol, but that would only buy me a little time.  I'm hesitant to go with Nucelar as I expect it would cause a meltdown (even if I have a highly educated workforce and high tech level, which I do).

For Garbage Collection, I have recyclers and incenrators... my problem is collection.  I have no room to build more space for garbage dump trucks.  I'm hesitant to ask for help from another city as it would just cause congestion in my own.

Sewage: I am doing it cleanly but am running out space to put tanks in, so soon everything will back up.

Water: No room for more water plants.

Right now, I'm raising taxes high to try and discourage people moving in... but that could have undesirable consequences.

The way I see it, my options are:

1) Start destroying my homes and businesses so I can build more utilities (You want water? Fine, die! I'm building a water plant on your house..muhahahah).

2) Build a second town for the sole purpose of being my sewage dump, and water/power source (kind of outsourced to a slave city / labour camp).

Neither of them feel 'right' (from a morale point of view).  Plus #2 means I would have to be super careful with second city to avoid their people comming to mine and causing traffic issues.

Sooo... Anyone have any suggestions? :)

(What I really need is a long road from my city to another city where there are energy plants and water plants, but no houses, commercial, industry or mayor... just a 'field' out there, but that is not possible sadly).

Do you have a picture of your town? With that population you shouldn't be having problems, I would think that a) you have your town with rivers/mountains b) your population consists only of $ and $$ homes. My city now about 170k population and I have plenty of space yet. (sorry bad quality of pic, using teamviewer at work to check my town from time to time ^^")

3jEhDrI.jpg

I think you'll have to use another city for some of the resources (maybe water, sewage and power as they won't add to your congestion problems).  People do seem to be forgetting that this sim city was designed so that multiple cities work together...its probably going to be near impossible to build a self contained monster of a city now...esp with the tiny map sizes

If you put your sewage treatment plant next to your water pumps you should not run into any water issues.. Pop of 300k have endless water with 7 sewage and 6 pumps.. running on a nuclear plant with 800MW brute reactor (mine says save with the worker skills and it's going 10years now no meltdown..) Although I have heard other had meltdowns even with save worker skills and I guess an earthquake could be a bother too..

Increase density. With 100k pop you shouldn't have space issues even if your city is heavliy packed with I/C, specialization buildings.

You could try and play this game like it was made to be played, with multiple cities. Maps are to small for you to even think about supporting a singe city from inside it's own little square.

Once you stop trying to play it like its SimCity 5, you just might start having fun.

TuxedoKamen    1
  • Original Poster
  • You could try and play this game like it was made to be played, with multiple cities. Maps are to small for you to even think about supporting a singe city from inside it's own little square.

Once you stop trying to play it like its SimCity 5, you just might start having fun.

I tried that, but:

Each city wants to be built up in the same way (All utilities must be present, education needs to be there, clinics/police/fireman need to be there).  Treating them as multiple areas of one big city works for specialization or after you have one big city made and can start planning subsequent ones.

But to start from beginning, it is not possible.  Otherwise I would have one 'city' in the region be my residential district (suburbs) and the other be where I work and the third be where I shop.

Then you have to be doing something wrong. Again, your trying to play it as it where SimCity 5. You have to start with one city, make it profitable, get a few mill in the bank and then get other cities rolling. Cities simply can't live on taxes alone, it's not how the game was made.

Power, water and sewage can be easily centralized in one city and sold to others. A university in one city with only a single grade school per each other city finishes the education business. Your first city can have upgraded starting clinic, small police station and fire station but you once you build and fully upgrade a hospital, large police and fire stations in one highly profitable city all other cities don't need any of their own.

Once your transportation network starts operating at full capacity you have a fully functioning region.

most of this has been covered by previous posters, no harm in giving my 2 cents right?

it should be viable to use a water pumping station and sewerage treatment plant before 100k pop, these "MUST" be placed right next to each other. by doing so will create unlimited water. Late game you should only be using the water treatment pumps but until then, you should be using normal water pumps and planting trees around them while keeping your sewerage treatment % above 80%.

Note: once fully upgraded combined  theses 2 buildings require "alot" of room.

100k pop and you are having garbage collection issues o.O !!!! pure speculation but you have traffic issues, a city with less than 120k pop should require no more than 6 garbage trucks. repositioning your garbage dump may help but it will only solve the problem if its positioned in such a way that your trucks constantly avoid early morning rush hour. your best bet is to redesign some roads.

your "No room" problem can be solved by increasing density, the screen shot by lordax is a good example of how much room u should have remaining.

Note: density results in less workers more consumption etc etc so be ready to basically rebuild your entire city if it was build map wide as low density.

You could try and play this game like it was made to be played, with multiple cities. Maps are to small for you to even think about supporting a singe city from inside it's own little square.

Totally disagree, While simcity 5 may be geared towards multiple cities solo can do just as well, i dare say better because of the game knowledge required to pull it off, it will ultimately result in a higher density city due to efficiency. multiple cities just let you get away with wasting resources, thus ignoring traffic and every other aspect because u can just throw money at it.

while i wouldent mind playing with others, msot of it is just griefing or peopel not returning to the region "ever" so I have no issues playing solo. playing solo in a region with only 1 city, just means you will almost always have a low budget (no shared utility no minimal payment for water\sewerage etc)...

basically this means you will need to build efficiently in every aspect unfortunately something only learned from research and mistakes. If you let things get to far out of hand its is very very VERY hard to fix because you simply wont have the funds to just throw at it....

1 example of something you need to do in solo city play that is totally ignore in multiplayer can be seen in my example of how to go about using the water\sewerage treatment system.

in my not so humble opinion, when building a "Real" simcity (not some R+I or R+C only), single city solo play is much more challenging. but entirely possible...  i would love to play in groups sometimes but tbh if you dont already play with people you know then its only worth it if you plan to build a quick nasty test city which u can do in sand box.