Sign in to follow this  
Absoluth

Zoning overview - Need help

First of all, let me just say i'm an experienced old timer SC4 player and have made tons of great towns in the past (haven't played for ages to be honest). Lately i've felt like playing this game again, and wanted to make an extraordinary large city. I just have a problem: i want the most diverse environment possible. By that i mean, make any kind of building grow with a very broad street/zoning system. However, till this day, i've never found a true website and/or guide that showed me all possible buildings that could grow in every zoning type, from skyscrappers to small buildings. I really wanted to know all possibilities, so i could create something great. I've always focused on 4x4, 3x3 and 2x4 zones, but i'm sure there are plenty more to work with.

After browing a long time on google, going through a lot of useless site, i didn't find anything. Also tried using the search function on this forum, but the results keep leading to topics that aren't exactly what i'm looking for. Does anybody have a link to a thorough webpage on this matter, or at least let me know all the possible buildings i could work with on both resisdencial and commercial?

Thanks, but that's where it gets confusing. 1 guy shows a huge building list, yet only shows up to 4x4. The other guy says "from 4x4 to 6x6". I wanna be certain before laying down large 4~6x4~6 areas in my city ^^

Well, then, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  If you go to this link (the same one I offered in the other thread), you'll see a comprehensive series of 20 charts that explicitly show which of the standard Maxis buildings will grow in any given zone.  It lists the stage at which each building will grow, what it's wealth level is, and the lot size.  You said you wanted a "guide that showed me all possible buildings that could grow in every zoning type, from skyscrappers to small buildings".  There you go.  It's right there in those charts I linked to.  For all other custom content, you have to rely on the information provided by the creator.  There are custom buildings which grow at a whole range of sizes, but it would be pretty much impossible to provide a comprehensive list for all custom content.

If I'm misunderstanding your question, then please clarify for me.

That guide is great. I was just wondering if there are any buildings within the regular non-customumized game above 4x4. I keep hearing on some threads about malls, large condos, and all that, but nobody ever specifies if it's a custom thing or not. That's why i started this thread. I wanted a full building list with lot sizes.

Scratch that. I just browsed the site again, and apparentely i overlooked the area where it gives the 4~6x4~6 lot progression. My mistake ;)

Also, i got another question: How do you know at which stage your city is developing at? For instance, i got a few R$ 4x4 buildings in an area that was meant for R$$ to R$$$. The land value is tippy top, and i managed to raise my high wealth demands. Do each specific types have their own stage levels, or is it an overall thing? What i mean is, if i have stage 7 R$ buildings, would i be able to grow R$$$, or even C$$$, stage 7, or does each wealth have their own stage progression?

It's bumming me out how i've forked out a large amount of cash to build a great neighborhood in my new town, near a high density comercial zone, and for some reason i only get the poor folks :P

Also, i got another question: How do you know at which stage your city is developing at? For instance, i got a few R$ 4x4 buildings in an area that was meant for R$$ to R$$$. The land value is tippy top, and i managed to raise my high wealth demands. Do each specific types have their own stage levels, or is it an overall thing? What i mean is, if i have stage 7 R$ buildings, would i be able to grow R$$$, or even C$$$, stage 7, or does each wealth have their own stage progression?

It's bumming me out how i've forked out a large amount of cash to build a great neighborhood in my new town, near a high density comercial zone, and for some reason i only get the poor folks :P

Yes, each wealth class has its own stage progression, and its based on your regional population. First step to getting lots of mid wealth citizens is to get a good educational system which in turn will generate demand for mid and high wealth jobs.

That guide is great. I was just wondering if there are any buildings within the regular non-customumized game above 4x4. I keep hearing on some threads about malls, large condos, and all that, but nobody ever specifies if it's a custom thing or not. That's why i started this thread. I wanted a full building list with lot sizes.

Scratch that. I just browsed the site again, and apparentely i overlooked the area where it gives the 4~6x4~6 lot progression. My mistake ;)

Not a problem.  Those charts kinda have the lot sizes mixed up a bit.  For instance, in chart #1 it only goes up to 4x4.  You have to scroll down to the other charts before you find references to 6x6, etc.  So I understand.

The game can be a bit complex.  I rarely have problems getting high-wealth Sims because I tend to cheat and add a lot of money to my budget that allows me to place the stuff necessary to get high-wealth Sims.  But if you're playing straight up without cheats, it can be tricky...and it will take a while.

There are some general tips for getting high-wealth Sims, and MoarTriangle touched on some.  You need to make sure the desirability of your zones is high, and that involves different things like placing adequate schools, libraries, parks, hospitals, adequate power and water coverage, adequate police and fire coverage, making sure there is no garbage, reducing pollution, enacting the right ordinances, setting the right tax rates, and placing your residential zones in a manner which allows your Sims to have easy access to commercial zones, recreational areas, and ideally they should not be located adjacent to industrial zones.  You also need to make sure they aren't complaining about long commutes, so that involves placing the proper roads/mass transit networks.  It's a lot to remember when trying to grow your cities.

I presume your game is updated to at least version 1.1.638, correct?  If not, you're going to want to do that in order to take advantage of the majority of custom content you'll find for the game.  You should also consider installing the NAM to help correct some problems with the game.

As for how to know when your city is at a certain stage, there is a guide for that somewhere.  I've seen it before, but can't recall exactly where it's at.  I'll see if I can locate it and post a link to it.  Or someone else might come along and do that if they happen to know where it is.

EDIT:  Here ya' go.... http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Tutorial:Stage_Limits_and_Threshholds

I got the deluxe version, and i did install NAM, since it helps a lot in making a bit more realistic road systems. I was just having some trouble on raising high wealth buildings on 4x4 and above. I'm playing with a single city (no boosts from region, which adds a HUGE growth difficulty) and on hard mode (i like the challenge :P). My budget is slim, and keeping land value and desirability up is costly, specially with a lowish tax, but necessary. It was just bugging me that i zoned and beefed up a whole new area with great access to my downtown (bus and subways, although if i recall, high wealth doesn't use bus system, which 'might' be the issue) just for my wealthy sims, which would in return give me the R$$$ pop boost to continue upgrading my downtown area.

Anyways, today i played some more, and after sweating to get my monthly budget on the blue while working on my downtown, for no reason at all, a chunk of my medium density area i started my city with, began flourishing into a new stage and getting larger 2x2, 2x4 and 3x3 buildings. From a -500~+500 monthly income rate, i went up to +10k in a month's time. Crazy boost. Guess i hit 1 of those tresholds. Can't complain :D

Thanks for the replies. I got all the info i needed.

When I want to build a megacity, I just spam zone, I spamt he biggest zones I can one after the other only pausing to watch them grow and let them take effect in my demand meter so I can tell what I need to zone next.  Whent he city becomes A mess I pause it and rearrange cut out smaller buildings narrow the roads down to focus the downtown area, add mass transit, add massive amounts of parks, re-zone in some cases, and repeat till I have no more room left.  The cities I build like this look super narly in the beginning but grow to be quite beautiful.

I got the CAM too, I do not think the game would allow me to zone like crazy like that without it.  I would hit the cap at about 80k population and the city would fizzle.  

I can't stand to preplan my mega cities and have it look just like every other city out there, just a big pin cushion of skyscrapers, no thanks, I will pass on that.  The cities I have made like that look so boring.  I find the fun is when is I have to tear down a third of my city to make way for a new transit system.

These days though I am trying to go in the opposite direction, basically where you cam from, I am trying to perfect the art of suburbia and ruralandia(Yeah, I just made that up).

HAPPY TREES.(Some of you will be old enough to get that.)

^ I like the term ruralandia.  A nice portmanteau word that fits nicely into a living language like English.  Lewis Carroll would be proud of you.

I play rural all the time.  I often have three or more little towns on a large tile, usually connected but not necessarily.  Here is the region I am currently developing.  I've got a long way to go.  (No CAM by the way.  I don't need it for this.  Just NAM V30 and friends).

tYd1UxE.jpg

You could say that at the moment I like Germanic and Mythical names for city tiles.