Sign in to follow this  
ScottyDoesKnow

5000 low wealth goods coming from somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out having a municipal airport and no other tourist attractions causes every commercial building in your city to turn into a hotel. But now I've got a new problem. I have 5000 low wealth commercial goods coming from somewhere, with no low wealth commercial buildings. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a screenshot of my population details:

http://i.imgur.com/JoL54m9.jpg

It shows plenty of low wealth shopping and no high wealth shopping. Unfortunately, I have 4 high wealth commercial buildings and ZERO low wealth commercial buildings. And it's been that way for (in-game) days.

1. Noticed high wealth numbers were off.

2. Waited a full in-game day.

3. Restarted simcity application.

3. Waited a full in-game day.

4. Played for a while (in-game days).

5. Demolished all low wealth commercial.

6. Waited a full in-game day.

7. Restarted simcity application.

8. Waited a full in-game day.

9. Took this screenshot.

Currently this makes it impossible to balance anything in my city. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix or workaround?

Edit: In my approval ratings screen low wealth sims still report "There are good places to shop" o_O

OK... Just noticed that every single one of my commercial buildings is a hotel...

This is a little perplexing as I have no tourist draws. I've destroyed the municipal airport since I only had it for police/fire choppers anyways.

It's also confusing how low wealth has 5000 goods coming from somewhere even though they have no low wealth commercial buildings... Anybody know where that might come from?

Alright, having a municipal airport turned every commercial building in my city into a hotel. Still can't figure out where the 5000 goods for low wealth are coming from though.

I noticed you have a whole lot of parks down at the bottom of the screenshot -- that's where the low-wealth goods are coming from.

Specifically:

The way parks are currently implemented, they function pretty much like C, i.e. they provide goods and shopping satisfaction (but cost no money, although AFAIK they do require that the sim's household have some money before they can enter the park). 

Problem is, the stats display is bugged -- any plopped park, regardless of wealth level, will only add to the low-wealth total goods column in the F2 population panel. Worse yet, bulldozing the park will not subtract the amount of goods from the total goods column. The whole thing is a mess.

As far as you C turning into hotels -- one trick you can use to make sure you have some C your population can use for shopping satisfaction in a tourist town is to dezone your existing non-hotel C before you plop down any landmark/gambling/airport. Then you can re-zone individual blocks near your tourist attraction to turn those into hotels.

I see. I assumed that wasn't it since turning off the park didn't remove it, and they weren't low wealth parks. I guess this makes it pretty hard to balance any shopping at all, since low wealth is way higher than it should be and medium and high are lower.

Yeah, like I said, the whole thing is a mess. I'm completely $%&ed since I tend to use parks for street layout, so by the time I'm done laying out my street network and have bulldozed all the parks, I have several thousand low-wealth goods in the F2 population panel, goods which obviously don't exist, so then I have to write that number down and keep subtracting as I play. Oy weh.