Sign in to follow this  
LGMizzell

Schools and Students ... again ...

I have a grade school and a community college in a city. Almost 100% enrollment and education levels look pretty good across the city. According to previous posts, I made sure the community college could handle ALL students, and I closed the grade school.

Wait - why are all those school buses still running everywhere? There's no school to go to!

I followed them ... every single one of them left town, and went to the next closest city with a high school...

Schools are potentially REGIONAL? So if a neighbour's city has great education, in theory it seems you could just put in bus stops with NO schools (grade or high school) ... and off they go to get education elsewhere.

Thoughts? I'm still not 100% sure on exactly how the education system works..

OK ... spent some time just watching schools and buses across a region a bit:

At 6:00am, buses in my city start loading up. They leave the city, and travel to the next town over where there's a high school. They unload the students, and then head BACK to highway and my city, where they roam around a bit, then head BACK to the high school again to pick the students up. They load up (a few buses arrived and left empty...), and head back to my city to unload. Looks like the dropped all 80 students off at a single stop. After dropping everybody off, they headed back out to the highway. They don't ever park anywhere. They just keep going.

However, when they returned to my city full of students, I got the "happy cheer" from residents and a smiley educational bump up.

Couple of extra observations:

1. If you follow a bus, the info bubble on it just says "Bus from ______". So you don't know where it's actually from.

Guess that's a bug.

2. Although I KNOW there are regional students attending a particular high school (I followed the bus and watched them load in one city and unload in another), the school info bubble doesn't report any regional students attending.
Guess that's another bug.

All in all, most interesting.

Regarding point #2, if you look at the Population > Detail tab, you can see the number of students commuting in and out of your city on a daily basis.

IMO, that's the best place the get daily information, because all of the info bubbles seem to report current data, which is highly dependent on the time of day (ie, you'll have 0 students attending at midnight.)

Thank you for the information... I was wondering if I could make an "Educated City" and bus the students from my gambling city or indusrty towns. Now I know... :yes:

How do you get students to commute? I have a city with a grade school, high-school, and a University. However, I couldn't get any kids from my suburbs to take the bus to them.

How do you get students to commute? I have a city with a grade school, high-school, and a University. However, I couldn't get any kids from my suburbs to take the bus to them.

Have you placed school bus stops?

Education in SimCity doesn't work the same as real life. You only need one education building - the university is your best bet as it has the highest student capacity by far. Having all three educational facilities is just wasting money.

For more information, read this post -->

Education in SimCity doesn't work the same as real life. You only need one education building - the university is your best bet as it has the highest student capacity by far. Having all three educational facilities is just wasting money.

I have a community college that can easily handle the current city capacity. Why are students LEAVING my town on buses to go somewhere else? That's what I don't get...

I have a community college that can easily handle the current city capacity. Why are students LEAVING my town on buses to go somewhere else? That's what I don't get...

I think they're getting on those buses just because they can. While the university and community college (I think) have several classes throughout the day, the school and high school start early and go all day. If the school bus stops past a residence before the students have already attended an educational institution that day, they'll probably get on that bus.

Just want to point out that on a $/student basis, the community college is a better deal, plus it has a somewhat smaller footprint which helps in those high-pop cities where space if at a premium.

Just want to point out that on a $/student basis, the community college is a better deal, plus it has a somewhat smaller footprint which helps in those high-pop cities where space if at a premium.

I think the difference is that the community college can increase the population's tech level to two, whereas the university can get it to three. Not 100% on this though. But as you pointed out, on a purely money/sim ratio, the community college fairs better.

The community college will get you to level 3 -- I've seen it personally. Even that annoying Vu Tower will get you to 3 -- the very fist city I built was supposed to be one of those smokestack-filled low-wealth Stalinist gulags, then I plopped the Vu Tower, next thing I know my proles are all going to work in these gleeming silicone valley buildings :)

I think they're getting on those buses just because they can. While the university and community college (I think) have several classes throughout the day, the school and high school start early and go all day. If the school bus stops past a residence before the students have already attended an educational institution that day, they'll probably get on that bus.

So I should delete all the school bus stops then. I left them as an experiment.

Will so that tomorrow and then report back what happens ...

The community college will get you to level 3 -- I've seen it personally. Even that annoying Vu Tower will get you to 3 -- the very fist city I built was supposed to be one of those smokestack-filled low-wealth Stalinist gulags, then I plopped the Vu Tower, next thing I know my proles are all going to work in these gleeming silicone valley buildings :)

It's hard to eviscerate the proletariat when they're all working at Google.

Have you placed school bus stops?

Yes, I had a bunch of them littered around. They did nothing but increase happiness and cost me money.

This is not always true. I've been building true suburbs in my region as connected cities to a main capital and it can't handle anything above a grade school. The problem that I feel like I'm getting time and time again is that there are population constraints on what you can and can't do. It's either that or a consequence of going almost exclusively residential in a city.

My city in question has approx. 9k (70/30 split of $ and $$ residents). I can run an almost maxed grade school with 791 potential students no problem. However, when I replaced the grade school with a high school and gymnasium - the game told me the school was closed because it couldn't get enough workers. I have lots of potential $ and $$ employees in my suburb because they all commute to the capital.

P.S. another example is my library. It's completely useless (12 books a day). In my capital, my library was cleaning up. Sims who can't afford to commute back to the capital for shopping just get another job or go back to an empty residence.

My city in question has approx. 9k (70/30 split of $ and $$ residents). I can run an almost maxed grade school with 791 potential students no problem. However, when I replaced the grade school with a high school and gymnasium - the game told me the school was closed because it couldn't get enough workers. I have lots of potential $ and $$ employees in my suburb because they all commute to the capital.

Yeah, the HS has a pretty steep worker requirement, 460 workers in total, which given your population would be a good third of your entire workforce. Also, educational buildings are lower on the priority list for jobs, which means it would be filled only after all your service buildings. There's definitely a sweet spot for each educational building, depending on your population size.

Yeah, the HS has a pretty steep worker requirement, 460 workers in total, which given your population would be a good third of your entire workforce. Also, educational buildings are lower on the priority list for jobs, which means it would be filled only after all your service buildings. There's definitely a sweet spot for each educational building, depending on your population size.

Sorry, I don't follow. None of my government buildings come close to having 100 workers let alone 460. 

Edit: Hmm after trying to grab screenshots for this I think i honed in on the problem. High School requires a minimum of 50 workers in my scenario (I had 48 or under in previous times). Something I couldn't achieve while people were actively commuting back and forth from jobs.

Looks like you have to reboot your city every now and then to get things working properly. The game definitely has trouble keeping track of commuters properly.

bOuQGnJ.jpg

0iqLheO.jpg

Re: Closed the elementary school and opened a community college

I spent a little more time last night watching my education stats, plus the buses from my closed elementary school leave the city to go elsewhere. There's a lot of aimless driving around helping traffic to snarl up.

Just as I was about to delete all the bus stops to see what would happen, I notice my edu stats.

Despite having a community college - in a location where people can get to it despite traffic, I suddenly started getting alerts about unskilled workers, and my unenrolled stats went WAY up. Factories started closing due to unskilled labour. I opened the elementary school back up - enrollment went up, edu level went up, and the factory bosses shut up about unskilled workers.

Not sure what to make of that - perhaps the elementary school works so well because I really planned all the bus stops carefully. Perhaps the community college isn't doing as well because school buses don't take students there, and the public transit buses aren't as well thought out as the school buses. Actually, I was originally trying for a city with NO mass transit, but it looks that isn't going to work.

At this point, trying to decide to keep the community college, or replace it with a university. Trying to figure the benefits, if any, of each.

Make of it all what you will.

Not sure what to make of that - perhaps the elementary school works so well because I really planned all the bus stops carefully. Perhaps the community college isn't doing as well because school buses don't take students there, and the public transit buses aren't as well thought out as the school buses. Actually, I was originally trying for a city with NO mass transit, but it looks that isn't going to work.

At this point, trying to decide to keep the community college, or replace it with a university. Trying to figure the benefits, if any, of each.

Make of it all what you will.

Yeah, school buses are only for the grade school and HS, the college and uni don't use or benefit from them. That's the trade-off, they can't use the school bus system, but have multiple classes per day and raise tech level. In my experience, at least at higher pop numbers, they almost require some form of mass transit if you want to avoid a conga line of cars trying to get into the teensy one-late entrance both buildings come with. I have a uni city that makes liberal use of the uni ped. walkways and that one gets a lot of pedestrian students, but I don't know how applicable the ped. walkway strategy is to all cities.