Sign in to follow this  
yoge123

How far should industrial jobs be from my residents?

I have a small city of 18k population with nothing but residents and commercial. The adjacent city has the the dirty and manufacturing industrial jobs. My R and C city have many avenues and streets. There are no traffic problems. But many of my residents still say commute to far and abandon building. My small city is losing money and it has all the education facilities, fire station, pd, parks, health, everything. All the land is desirable by $$$R,C,I. 

So I am wondering what am I doing wrong? Why can't the sims drive to the next city to work in the I? I put bus stops everywhere too. So, the only ways they can travel to the adjacent city is by avenues, roads and buses.

Edit: My charts say that many $R and $$R want to move into my city but I have no room to build and all the space is take up in the small tile. All the R zones are medium so my city should have lots of people but it doesn't. The charts show that residents want to move in but they're not moving in, and all industrial is down along with Commercial. What is going on?

You can zone over the existing lots to make them high density.  This will cause the buildings to be replaced over time, and especially if there is immigration pressure.  Just paint the zones you want to upgrade with your cursor (brush) with the higher density chosen.

R$ will live anywhere, even next to a hazmat dump, but R$$ start getting particular.  Generally, you need a layer of C between I and R.

If you are playing a small tile, the best place for I-D and I-M is in the next town (tile).  I-HT has the same conditions as CO$$$.  If you displace I-(D|M) you have to wait for the pollution that is left to dissipate.

One of the things I've been doing lately is going with very small (8 x 8 ) I-D pods, and as soon as my city turns four years, I set the I-D tax level to 20%.  This causes them to leave, slowly, and they are replaced by either I-M or medium density I-HT if it is clean enough.

You are not really doing anything wrong, you are just inexperienced.  I've been playing for 10 years and I still find things out.  You'll find that this game, or exercise in problem solving, is addictive.  Because of the huge selection of custom content you can always renew your game by changing the major mods you have.

You can zone over the existing lots to make them high density.  This will cause the buildings to be replaced over time, and especially if there is immigration pressure.  Just paint the zones you want to upgrade with your cursor (brush) with the higher density chosen.

R$ will live anywhere, even next to a hazmat dump, but R$$ start getting particular.  Generally, you need a layer of C between I and R.

If you are playing a small tile, the best place for I-D and I-M is in the next town (tile).  I-HT has the same conditions as CO$$$.  If you displace I-(D|M) you have to wait for the pollution that is left to dissipate.

One of the things I've been doing lately is going with very small (8 x 8 ) I-D pods, and as soon as my city turns four years, I set the I-D tax level to 20%.  This causes them to leave, slowly, and they are replaced by either I-M or medium density I-HT if it is clean enough.

You are not really doing anything wrong, you are just inexperienced.  I've been playing for 10 years and I still find things out.  You'll find that this game, or exercise in problem solving, is addictive.  Because of the huge selection of custom content you can always renew your game by changing the major mods you have.

Thanks for the knowledge. Ive done a lot of what you said. Can I ask, should I avoid intersections as much as possible? I think I have to many of them in my small tile. I have 4 aves going up and 3 going across and 2 roads going up and 1 across. My adjacent city with the Industrial is on the left.

Intersections slow down traffic a little as they do in RL, but they are not things to be avoided.  If you continue to have problems, perhaps if you post a picture with a description of your troubles, you'll bet better results from us.