Sign in to follow this  
simfanheatermayor

Am i a genius or not?

Hello again, i joined these forums umm, 2004? or 2003. I dont remember. Nevertheless, i just dont understand why almost all MP games are played in sandbox mode. Are ppl just so poor players? I admit, SC4 was way better, this sc5 is like the command&conquer shooter made from original CnC. Total Crap. I do like SC5 but i miss all the variations that SC4 had, all the public transit and all. Not to mention the BATs. Oh, what my point was: I just started a new region 3 hours ago (NO SANDBOX), you're free to join if u want. My first city is making almost 11,000 simoleons per hour without any mines, oilpumps or anything. Population is 85,000 .Only a small HT industrial area, and high education for all. Only one supporting city with 40,000 sim producing coal. So is this game just too simple? And all the British (sandbox)region games showing that Brits are just plain dumb?! :D

It much easier to place a 100$ building and then see that you don't have the room for mods when your playing sandbox then when you are risking your entire city on the future of that building.

That said, I haven't ever made a sanbox region because once you get used to the easy mode it will give you more problems going for the real thing. Plus, learning the hard way ensures never forgetting the lessons.

I find it funny when people compare SC2013 to SC4 and say that the new game is too simplistic and doesn't have enough content or features. You're comparing a game that just released a month ago to a game that has essentially been in constant development for over a decade by a team of hundreds if not thousands of people.

Try loading up a vanilla copy of SC4 with no mods or expansion pack. It's a pretty lame game.

I find it funny when people compare SC2013 to SC4 and say that the new game is too simplistic and doesn't have enough content or features. You're comparing a game that just released a month ago to a game that has essentially been in constant development for over a decade by a team of hundreds if not thousands of people.

Try loading up a vanilla copy of SC4 with no mods or expansion pack. It's a pretty lame game.

IF they going to let us mod SC5. First what we need is industryx4 mod :ohyes:

Ultimately sandbox mode allows for greater creativity and experimentation which some prefer.

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is; can you be more concise? I see about three different discussions in your reply.

Ultimately sandbox mode allows for greater creativity and experimentation which some prefer.

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is; can you be more concise? I see about three different discussions in your reply.

My point is why do people play sandbox? Is the economy too hard? I find it too easy.

My point is why do people play sandbox? Is the economy too hard? I find it too easy.

Many reasons, but sometimes it is just fun to be creative and "paint your canvas" however you like.

The game is easy because they wish to attract kids who have not played previous simcities.

Who else would put on good scores on review on videogaming sites?

I suspect that if Maxis does support mods and releases larger maps like they hinted, those will only be available in sandbox.

Can't have them in multiplayer since mods and some people having larger maps than others will give them advantages on the leaderboards and throw off the balance of the game. Which Maxis really doesn't want.

In sandbox however, you don't count on leaderboards and while you can trade with the global market, your transactions do not affect it. So you couldn't use some sort of modded super mine to produce 2 billion tons of coal and try to flood the global market with it and screw the game for everyone. You could do it to make yourself a bunch of money, but can't use it to troll everyone else.

If that is the case I get the feeling that the competitive multiplayer mode will die-off pretty quick once mods and larger maps come out. Because really, who would turn down larger maps and a SC2013 version of NAM all for some stupid leaderboards?

I, too, see the leaderboards dying off once larger maps come out.  But then I have yet to even look at the leaderboards.  I play for my own amusement, not to beat someone else.  Who cares?  I have said this before, but this is a free-form game.  It is played for enjoyment, not to win.  I could care less about who is leading in the score.  But wherever the larger maps are, I will follow...

Oh, and I have yet to play in Sandbox mode as well.  While I have typed 'rosebud' or 'fund' or 'weaknesspays' or whatever iteration more times than I care to think about, I truly have not yet needed it for SC2013.  I agree with some others that making money and growing cities is a bit dumbed down.

The game is very manageable at 85k. The challenge is to keep things balanced and profitable once you approach 150k and beyond.

The game is very manageable at 85k. The challenge is to keep things balanced and profitable once you approach 150k and beyond.

Honestly I think its very manageable up to 400k. I've got non-specialized cities at 9% tax at 400+k pop running WELL into the green. This game is just too easy, if you can't make a profit you're just being silly.

^ Thank you good sir! I would certainly prefer SC2013 over SC4 in vanilla.

I would much rather play the out of the box version of SC4 as opposed to this. At least I was able to build a large city on different sized tiles and farms, farms, farms. I didn't realize how much I liked having some agriculture in and around my cities untill I played this smartphone of an app type game.

+Guest Joel Jose   
Guest Joel Jose

Not!

He asked...I answered...

About your town: It's easy to get about 100.000 residents, probably even with profit. But try to get (AND keep) about 300.000 to 500.000 residents in ONE city.. That's ridiculous! So difficult... Anyhow, good luck! :D