Sign in to follow this  
BlackFrancis

How in the world to I use viaduct rail?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

The puzzle pieces are generally self explanatory.  I'm trying to use the stations, though, and I cannot get it to work.  Modern whatever that comes with the NAM.  I have some how gotten to the point that DrawPaths shows rail as going through, but nobody will board the station.  I've tried putting jobs in the same city with a rail line and in the next city over connected only by rail.  Either it's not working or they'd rather be unemployed than ride the train.

And to be honest I'm not sure how I got it to the point that the paths went through.  For the longest time they didn't.  I clicked around and tried this and that...finally the path went through but I don't know what I did to cause it.

There's not a tutorial or even basic instructions anywhere, at least that I'm able to find.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Your post is a bit confusing to me... Do you have a problem with viaduct rail pieces or with a station?  Because the only modern station enclosed with NAM  is for monorail I believe, not regular rail. That's maybe why you had troubles with paths and why no sims uses station. Anyway, there is no station in the NAM that supports viaduct rail...

They're tricky, but if you hover on the select button in the menu it will tell you to run the rail, leave out a 2 square space, place the station, then place the other lot piece, it's above slightly separated in the menu, but it's there. Just be careful when using these pieces, they're transit enabled and if you cross them, you'll CTD

Usually that should get it to work, since it's viaduct pieces. Some stations you have to drag the appropriate tool through it to activate the paths

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • It says "Modern Overhanging Viaduct Rail Station

Diagonal Viaduct Rail Station with Bus and Subway Service

Use with Viaduct Rail Other Side lot"

After that are specs.

Then right above that is:

"Viaduct Rail (other side)

Put this in the overhanging column of the viaduct rail station after building the surrounding network."

Okay so I never downloaded this and I know it doesn't come with the game, so it had to have came with the NAM.  I don't know what it's talking about..."column" or "other side".  Other side of what?   It doesn't say anything about leaving out rails, but I will try that.  Two consecutive?  Leave out one on each side of the station?  What is this column?

It's pretty crazy if you ask me.  Thanks for replying and if you can help clear up the rest of it I would appreciate it.  You may have helped me enough to get it working on my own though.

It says "Modern Overhanging Viaduct Rail Station

You're referring to this station:

cXRzHnX.jpg

Which is actually a two-part station: One being the station itself, which overhangs over a crossing Avenue, and the other being the anchor for the other half of the station.

It's also good practise (and highly recommended, for the sake of saving yourself from a big headache) to lay out your Viaduct Rail lines first BEFORE laying down stations.

For example, the Overhanging Viaduct Rail station would require two gaps, like this:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/Lj1QUTA.jpg

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • I did what I think you were telling me to do but DrawPaths shows a broken path.  I placed that other lot so that it looks like rail is going across the whole station, but the game apparently doesn't think so.  The broken paths are at the ends of the station...not outside of the station but in it. 

Okay I just put rail down under the station where the breaks in drawpaths were, and they are closed but nobody's using it and they should be.  I even put a subway line underneath it and they're not using it either.

I have no idea how anyone could figure this out. 

I did what I think you were telling me to do but DrawPaths shows a broken path.

Most stations like this requires that a network be clicked or dragged within the station to be properly activated. For this particular station, click the blank areas with the Rail tool (Rail network).

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • I did what I think you were telling me to do but DrawPaths shows a broken path.

Most stations like this requires that a network be clicked or dragged within the station to be properly activated. For this particular station, click the blank areas with the Rail tool (Rail network).

Yes I did that and draw path closed up, but still nobody's using it as a bus station, rail station, or subway station.  I have 1500 in the town with 200 jobs available.  In the town next door I have 2000 industrial jobs with no people.  No job zots everywhere in the town with people in it.  They have bus, rail and subway through this station supposedly but will not use it, not even when it makes sense for them to use the station's bus to get to the tiny industrial area I have in that down.

I just checked the V31 readme set and did not find this station nor viaduct rail documented.  I hope V31.1's documentation will be improved.

While it is true that the usual rule of programming is "implement in haste, document at leisure" we have to remember that most users on this site now think of the computer has a home appliance.

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • Well I'm not sure what that says about me. I'm not an expert but I built this computer and the previous two I had as well. So I'm not illiterate or anything, but at the same time there are things about SC4 that confuse me. This in particular is an oddity in the game itself, or I guess more appropriately in the NAM itself.

Other rail stations do work. I made a third city without jobs to the south of the city with viaduct rail. If I removed that station, they used rail and viaduct rail to leave their city, cross the main test city, and travel to their jobs in the city to the west. If I put the station back in, they transferred to bus there even though I made a really crazy road network in an effort to entice them to use the rail. Nobody will board or disembark at that station and nobody will travel through it, even if DrawPaths shows it's fine. If I remove the road connection all together, nobody goes to work.

I put an hour of effort into trying this one station last night. Actually it may have been more than that. I will try another station, I think, and if I cannot get that to work I will just give up on viaduct rail. In my home town there is heavy commuter rail that runs along a viaduct and I'd like to replicate that, but I'm not going to drive myself crazy with it.

I know the NAM developers are busy developing the NAM, but I wish they would find time to make YouTube videos on how to use some of the features. Sometimes just watching someone do something similar to what you're trying to do will clear things all up. And no matter what language a person speaks a video can still be helpful. I think with a lot of people not liking the new SimCity, there will be a resurgence in the popularity of SC4 and I simultaneously feel great for these people (experiencing a great game for the first time) and sorry for them (getting everything working is quite a task).

-----

Okay, now I've tried the other viaduct station that comes with the NAM simply named "Viaduct Station". Same thing. Doens't work. I really doubt there's a problem with these lots apart from being confusing. I just don't know how to use them.

-----

I cannot find where the NAM installer put the readme, and I cannot find a download link for it by itself. I even downloaded the name again thinking it would have a readme in the zip, but all it has is the exe.

I just checked the V31 readme set...

---

Merged triple post. Please use the edit button next time! :)

-timmie

Just a friendly reminder, If you need to add to your original post, you can use the 'Edit' button found in the bottom left of the post window - please refrain from double (and triple) posting.  Regarding the viaduct rail station, I have not used this yet so I can't offer any advice.  You could try posting a screen shot and a quick question in the , because it is possible that this is a bug in the new release.  

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • Sorry about that.  I doubt it's a bug...there just aren't instructions.  Anyway I'm tired of it and don't care if I ever think about it again.  Do you know the installation path of the NAM readme or a place where I can view or download it?

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • Do you know the installation path of the NAM readme or a place where I can view or download it?

...Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Documentation

Well clearly I haven't had enough sleep.  Thanks.

After reading these posts, I tested out the Viaduct Rail station, and sure enough, there was a bug in it, producing the behavior you described.  This bug has now been fixed, and the fixed station will be present in NAM 31.1.

I'm really sorry about the documentation.  I agree completely with Moose; it should have been there.  Things just got away from us at the end; RL hit a large portion of the NAM Team rather hard in the month before the release.  We do know how essential documentation is, and we really will get it done as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, you can look at the STEX download page for a description of the ; these are the stations from which the Modern Viaduct Rail station was derived.  We will be providing more extensive documentation, of course.

Okay, now I've tried the other viaduct station that comes with the NAM simply named "Viaduct Station".

Which station are you referring to here?  Is it the Victorian one?  Or is it the diagonal one?  Those are the only other viaduct stations that come with the NAM.

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • Yes, the Victorian one.  I haven't downloaded anything independently.

There's not really a need to be sorry about the documentation.  You guys are volunteering your time, and you are the very people that saved this game.  It was unplayable without NAM and it would have faded from memory seven or eight years ago without you guys.  And if I had stayed with the game instead of leaving and coming back, I probably wouldn't need such documentation.  I'll tell you, though, if you have left and you come back a few years later, it is very confusing.  Not just this, but the Real Highway Mod.  I wanted to make a six lane freeway, but I can't figure that out for the life of me.  I found the starter piece but that's it.  I read up on it.  There was a 100+ page PDF I scanned through pretty thoroughly but it doesn't tell you the simplest things like how to build a straight six lane highway.  Which pieces to use.  I think I understand the ramps after glancing through the immense readme but what is the point of even trying if I can't build the main road for them?  I could figure it out if I saw someone put the pieces together in a 20 second youtube video.  If I knew how to put it together I'd volunteer to make such a video.

In fact once NAM 31.1 comes out and the bugs are fixed, if I can ever figure out the viaduct rail and how to build a simple straight freeway, I'm going to make a demonstration video on Youtube that covers the most basic of basics.  So many copies of SC4 were sold after the release of the new Sim City, and the people who bought it are slogging away in vanilla right now but it won't be long before a lot of them find the ST, SC4D, etc. 

After reading these posts, I tested out the Viaduct Rail station, and sure enough, there was a bug in it, producing the behavior you described.  This bug has now been fixed, and the fixed station will be present in NAM 31.1.

I'm really sorry about the documentation.  I agree completely with Moose; it should have been there.  Things just got away from us at the end; RL hit a large portion of the NAM Team rather hard in the month before the release.  We do know how essential documentation is, and we really will get it done as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, you can look at the STEX download page for a description of the ; these are the stations from which the Modern Viaduct Rail station was derived.  We will be providing more extensive documentation, of course.

Okay, now I've tried the other viaduct station that comes with the NAM simply named "Viaduct Station".

Which station are you referring to here?  Is it the Victorian one?  Or is it the diagonal one?  Those are the only other viaduct stations that come with the NAM.

Why do I have a feeling that viaduct rail is something I've been using in short spurts all along?  It is just rail raised up above the normal grade and carried along using puzzle pieces, mostly rail over blank terrain AFAIK.  The addition of stations to this will make it very useful.

The other thing I have tried out in my V31 test is using the raise/hole lots to raise an embankment to lay the rail on.  This may require some additional civil engineering with the mayor mode tools, but I think I will be able to get my rail lines onto a proper graded roadbed.  Despite all the attention to RHW in this release, there is a lot of other good stuff.

Now that I have got the custom install working on Linux, I'll probably put it in without RHW and GLR which don't fit my current town models.  My test cities are looking very good.

The question is if I raise a grade up to the edges of a road (at lower grade) can I then use a puzzle piece for the bridge?  If this works, my model railroading simulation will be very interesting.  Got to go try it.

BlackFrancis    3
  • Original Poster
  • Well I'm not precisely sure what you want to achieve, but this embankment is 7.5 meters.  The railway starts out at -7.5 meters so the viaduct puzzle pieces work pretty well.  A 7.5m embankment is pretty high but I guess you could use the mayor mode terrain tools to make it lower after you got your rail up there.  Or you could maybe make a valley to put this transition in so when it comes out it's not much higher than the surrounding area.

F7zvj2q.jpg