Sign in to follow this  
ulvemann43

good tips for a mining/trade city?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

i've lately been trying to build my first mining city and i wonder if anyone got any good tips on how to do it properly and how to get the metal HQ upgraded fast.

so far i've managed to build a nicely sized city around the mines with 3 trade depots because they ship the products too slow at times for me. traffic isnt much of a problem in the city though the trade HQ isnt having a lot of progress towards its upgrade even with what i've built now.  this is my city as it is right now:

town_zps94e822fa.png

what stuff should i focus on doing next in my city/what should i change?

and what are some good tips for moving onwards with it?

Just place more trade depots, set it all USE LOCALLY, and wait until it's all full. 

Wait until your HQ announce 0 monthly profit. then set all EXPORT

They will export it all in 1 day, so you can upgrade the HQ

is this your problem?

ulvemann43    0
  • Original Poster
  • all are usually set to exporting though i will try your tip when i can. approximately how many depots would i need to make it quick? i'm aiming to try alloy production or something similar to get more money

just simply calculate your profit 

how much is your goal? 700k

so how many tons of Ore or Mine do you need to succeed 

Ore 10tons per ????

Coal mine 10tons per ????

ulvemann43    0
  • Original Poster
  • i do have plenty of space. the entire area around the mines have a nice ammount of ore. i will try to get a few more mines and trade depots. they are quite cheap after all

Best advice I can give for a mining town is to use it as a foundation and eventually push into the only lucrative money making export in the game, tv/computers! The biggest bonus of starting with a mining town is gaining access to alloy. This allows raise your profit margin later on by lowering your import costs, making all the alloy you will need. Using this strategy Ive made several cites that make over 7 mil a day and can easily support a great works solo.

To start you keep pushing mines! With a combination of coal and ore, 5-6 mines and 3 trade depots seems to do the trick for me. Its important that you are not wasting output. A mine working at full potential will do 120 tons a day. 3 trade depots exporting both coal and ore full time will do the trick. At this point you will probably see trade numbers of about ~300k exports between ore and coal. Not to mention you have probably made sufficient cash to support a majority services. No education yet.

With these mines you start saving for the next breakthrough. Your aiming for the first upgrade from the Metals hq, you want to unlock smelting asap. Dont worry about Trade HQ yet, that's the next step. Ploping a smelter is the next priority, again were aiming for alloy here, so always demolish the metal smelter that comes with the building and just add on alloy. Make sure at this point each of your trade depots have 1 storage box of each alloy/coal/ore. Don't worry about your current smelter not having enough resources, you should be exporting everything. You should start making good money at this point. Upgrade your smelter with 4 alloy addons before the next step! Once your smelter gets to work you should see trade profits per day of about ~400k from alloy ~250k from ore/coal.

Plop the trade HQ. You should be exporting enough at this point to get an upgrade here off the bat. Plop the metals division when you can. BOOM now your ready to move onto the "bigger" trade ports (cant remember the actual name so ill just call it bigger for now). You want to make sure these bigger trade depots are nearby sea or rail (or better yet both, a single trade depot can make 1 freight rail and 1 freight dock). These trade depots are extremely more efficient and they export in larger quantity's (100 tons at a time) as long as your using at least one of the sea or train attachments. Agian have everything on export at this point (coal/ore/alloy). After your trade depots start exporting efficiently get a second smelter going with all 4 alloy addons. Let it work for a day or two and at this point you should be roughly making about ~800k from alloy and ~200k from coal/ore.

Now you need to get recycling going before you make the next jump. You should have plenty of money at this point to really do as you please. Plop a recycling building with the plastics add on (comes with it). The recycling center might not be doing anything at this point but the key is just having it. With the recycling center your "smaller" trade depots should be able to plop plastic storage.Dedicate an entire "smaller" trade depot to handling plastic (all 4 storage nodes) and set to use localy. Let the plastics build up, for now.

Next you need to unlock the option for processor factories (5 high tech industrial buildings). With the exception being the grade school, education of any kind will give you factories you need to unlock processors. Build a processor factory. Now we need to make some more changes to the "smaller" trade depots. Go to the smaller trade depot you made earlier with plastics in mind, and set to import. As you cant use the larger trade depots to export processors yet, redo another smaller trade depot to solely export processors (using all 4 nodes of storage for processors). Also max out your first processor factory with all 4 nodes pending some simmillions is coming in. At this point your "bigger" trade depot is doing the work of exporting alloy/coal/ore, while one "smaller" depot is exporting processors, and another one importing the plastics. Don't worry about running out of material, set all ore/raw/alloy/processors to export. After a few days you should see numbers of about ~900k from processors ~750k from alloy ~200k from coal/ore.

The next goal is to be able to export processors/tv/computers from the "larger" trade depots. Build another processor factory as you will need 2 fully maxed out to supply enough processors for your tv/computer factories later on. Also plop the electronics HQ. The second factory should skyrocket you to the 2nd upgrade at the trade HQ. The next upgrade here will be the electronics division. Once you have this you can plop processor storage units at the larger trade depots. You will see a dramatic increase in profit after this. ~2M from processors ~700k alloy

Upgrade your electronics HQ first with the TV headquarters first. Start making tv's/computers and exporting them out from the bigger trade depot (remember to plop storage units for tv/processors). You should have no problem unlocking the last upgrade for the trade headquarters, making the plastics HQ will allow you to import plastics. At this point you no longer need the smaller trade depots and can demolish them entirely.

My final town contains 3 tv factories, 2 processor factories, and 1 smelter. I normally have at least two big trade ports going(3 if I have industry that needs freight) . Each exporting processors/tvs/computers, importing plastics, and alloy on use locally. The 6th spot will be different between the two trade depots, one importing ore and one importing coal. You could potentially keep on building factories to boost profit but at this point you will be making more money then you can spend ~4M tv ~4M computers ~2M processors . Also you might be thinking at some point how you fit all this. To help with room, somewhere inbetween the switch from alloy to processors I normally demolish all my mines and begin importing coal/ore. Importing coal and ore are pennies compared to the price of directly importing alloy directly. Enjoy and happy building!

TL;DR - MORE MINES!

ulvemann43    0
  • Original Poster
  • oh my. that was a lot. i did the misstake though that i don't have any rail or water connection to my city. but i will try out some of your tips and see how far il get

Yea you want to make your mining cities close to water not just because you need the port but because you need to have enough water to function later on. As mines requires a ton of water to function in the first place it could suck up all the water in a mountainous zone before you even get going. Defiantly a bug I think they need to address, had a ton of cites fail to this.

Yea you want to make your mining cities close to water not just because you need the port but because you need to have enough water to function later on. As mines requires a ton of water to function in the first place it could suck up all the water in a mountainous zone before you even get going. Defiantly a bug I think they need to address, had a ton of cites fail to this.

Its not really a bug is it..... The mining industry needs a ton of water, so Id expect this to be reflected in the game to some extent.....

so far i've managed to build a nicely sized city around the mines

That's a mistake. Place basic water, power & sewage or buy it from neighbours, zone some residential areas and place an ore mine and a trade depot immediately using bonds. Then upgrade the mine. Once the mine is fully upgraded you can start building a proper infrastructure. Aim for 2-3 ore mines and a coal mine.

The first metal HQ upgrade is quite easy, and you need to pick smelting division. Them build smelting factories. Finally, plop any vanity projects you feel like using the 1m+ daily profit.

And always keep an eye on your budget as there are plenty of bugs which can make resources, and thus money, literally vanish (e.g. ten trucks helpfully pick up processors from one trade depot importing them, all but one inevitably find the electronics factory full and return to their garage... Losing me 50k in processors each. Yay?)

Although Fastneasy says freight trains pick up 100 tons at a time, I can only get trains to pick up 10 tens at a time, the amount that two measly trucks can carry.  And there is only one freight train running in the entire cluster (with only 2 freight cars) - I can see it in City View (with the Trade specialization button turned on, so the trade icon appears over it) travelling slowly around all the cities, even ones that haven't been claimed yet!  And this single freight train takes about 9 hours to do its long worthless loop around the cluster until it gets to my train depot, with the result that the whole train depot (which cost me about 500,000 simoleons to get all the necessary authorizations like HQ's and to build the depot itself, with all the necessary edits) only delivers about 50 tons a day. I have about 75 truck deliveries a day and 3 train deliveries (a box in the lower right corner gives these numbers), which isn't remotely worth it when trains carry only 10 tons per trip.  Moreover, I couldn't even get a single freight train to show up until I first blew up my pre-existing passenger station and ran a road between the trade port and the loader that touches the rail tracks (although I don't know if these had any effect or if I just had to wait until the powers that be decided to finally start a freight train running).

And unlike freight trucks, which say how much they are carrying (0 out of 5 or 5 out of 5), the freight trains don't say how much they are carrying, just that they came from a train depot.  I can deduce that they are only carrying 10 tons by looking at the Recent Transactions chart on the Finances page, which shows 12,000 when a train stops and 6,000 the rest of the time (for the trucks).

Fastneasy, did it start slowly for you too and build up to greater volume?  Please tell me it gets better, and that over time more and longer freight trains will run.  This has been a major disappointment to me, since I spent hours setting up a beautiful rail system running around the outer edge of the city all the way to the mines to avoid the traffic pileups that trucks can run into and the pollution.  And it is so unrealistic to have freight trains carry only as much as two lousy trucks.

I am afraid you are going to have some bad traffic issues that hurts your trade. You can leave the city small to keep it from happening though. I would push for mining HQ upgrade first to get access to smelter. Then smelt alloy to go trade HQ upgrade and choose metals division to get coal, ore, metal, and alloy storage lots. Then plop your trade port and connect to your rail. From their I would work towards electronics, or possibly move to a second city for that. You now have access to smelter, and the above mentioned lots at the trade port and can use those to get electronics going with either gifted resources from first city or a couple million cash from first city.

I am going to do a post later with my findings for big pop manufacturing cities on a plain. I have very decent traffic flow with my set up. But basically you went opposite of what I would suggest. I want my population in the back of the city or down one side, and I want the jobs to go to the other side in the back or down the side away from the entrance. Basically you don't want your inner city commuters filling up the road in front of your entrance. The exit side of the entrance is the best place for trade depots, not the back of the city. Because t again all is not lost, you can rezone and such with ease once you have the money rolling in.