Sign in to follow this  
TuPhat

Freight issues - We need somewhere to ship our freight!

Sorry, this is a long post.

So I can't figure this one out. I built up a city from scratch in a new region, not specializing in anything, more of a university town.

Currently population is sitting at 233K, mix of low, medium, and high wealth. I have zoned for all three Residential, Commerical, and Industry. Pretty standard looking city.

've tech'd up all up businesses to high, so I have all these fancy shiny industry buildings. People are educated too. All factories are employed and making 'goods' deemed at 'freight'.

I always seem to have at least a couple factories stating "We need somewhere to ship our freight!"

Now...

I have trade depot, accepting the usual default freight, and recycling items. I never see freight in the depot, ever. Its always empty.

I understand the concept of how R consume goods from C, I is supposed to deliver to C via little yellow freight trucks. Once they are delivered, little blue trucks come back and I is happy. Thus resolving the 'we need someplace to ship' problem. If there is too much Industry production for C to stock and consume, then I freight will goto trade depots, thus full depots.

Watching the Industry layer, I've watched the factories having freight issues and I dont ever see little yellow trucks leaving the factory. They have yellow freight bars in the factory, but trucks never leave the factory. Strangly enough, all the other factories that do ship freight, most of the time end up delivering to the Oil Power plant. I've also seen them deliver to the coal power plant as well when I had it running. Why are factories that are delivering freight, delivering freight to the oil plant? Why aren't factories that have freight delivering freight?

The industrial feight tab in the details of the population screen shows, 5,310 total freight orders, 5,310 satisfied. 0 commuting out and 0 unsatisfied. I have 16,440 freight orders and 11,130 unfulfilled freight orders. That seems to indicate all trucks that leave the factories deliver, and come back. Hence satisfation. I so have lots of unfulfilled orders, hence a demand for freight.

The odd time while I'm sitting there watching the plant and the traffic, waiting for a yellow delivery truck, I'll see the freight bar decrease without a truck leaving or entering the building. Perhaps freight expires in the factory?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else knows what is going on with this or has experieced this problem.

Edit: ok, I figured out the certain buildings such as oil factories create freight orders.

Messages are kind of like what have you done for me lately?  Maybe one of the delivery trucks is in route to a commercial district, so that message will be there until he arrives, or maybe returns and increases happiness of the factory.  Once that happens the message changes.

Yeah, I usually will get this Industry is vacant because there wasn't anywhere to ship their freight, I think this game still has tons of bugs!!

I was of the opinion at one point that it was necessary to ensure all the job positions for all wealth levels should be filled before C and I would function properly, however I am now of a different opinion as to whether this is true or not ! As soon as an I starts saying it has nowhere to ship its freight the city is running the risk of the factory closing and creating unemployed Sims which if become homeless mess things up even more.

Certainly when I try to fill all these jobs with the right amount of R at all wealth levels the whole thing turns into something like a dog chasing its owe tail ... by that I mean: each time a R is placed to fill a vacancy then more jobs across the wealth levels are created to satisfy C which requires more I to provide freight that needs more workers across the R wealth levels which need .... and so on and so forth !!!

I cannot see how there could possibly be a way out of this loop and be able to play a city with all stats satisfied, so i would like to ask if anyone else is having the same problem ?

Jim

I've had this issue as well.  I created a sort of experimental city with 1 straight avenue off of the highway exit, extended to the opposite edge of the map, then made it hook back around.  Basically a 1 road city or sorts.  I then made industry all along the end of that road, and placed a trade depot between my 1 residential block (i'm trying to build slowly to get only high-dens res).  With some commercial.  Not only do I not see the trade depot taking on Freight, the buildings that give me the "somewhere to ship freight" comments are right smack in between other industrial buildings who seem to have no problem shipping their freight.

As slick as this game looks, it's feedback is lacking at some times.  I too agree that I'm not entirely sure what is happening.  My overview tab says that all of the orders are filled, and there are unfulfilled orders.  In theory, if I am behind on freight orders, all freight should be shipping somewhere.  That's what I would think it is.  Apparently that's not that case.

My only guess is that the tab isn't descriptive enough and that there are 3 forms (for each tech level similar to R/C wealth) of freight orders.  With low tech industry, I may have a surplus in low-tech goods, and those unfulfilled orders are actually medium/high tech goods.

I also don't seem to understand that shopping goods vs freight orders.  It seems that Freight going to commercial has no bearing on commercial development (unconfirmed) as commercial just spawns with goods to sell each day.  I'm not sure what entirely sets the number of freight orders.

I was of the opinion at one point that it was necessary to ensure all the job positions for all wealth levels should be filled before C and I would function properly, however I am now of a different opinion as to whether this is true or not ! As soon as an I starts saying it has nowhere to ship its freight the city is running the risk of the factory closing and creating unemployed Sims which if become homeless mess things up even more.

Certainly when I try to fill all these jobs with the right amount of R at all wealth levels the whole thing turns into something like a dog chasing its owe tail ... by that I mean: each time a R is placed to fill a vacancy then more jobs across the wealth levels are created to satisfy C which requires more I to provide freight that needs more workers across the R wealth levels which need .... and so on and so forth !!!

I cannot see how there could possibly be a way out of this loop and be able to play a city with all stats satisfied, so i would like to ask if anyone else is having the same problem ?

I can't confirm your comment about ensuring job positions for all wealth levels.   Thats another thing that is a mess with my city.   I have so many vacant jobs and not enough workers.  My whole map is filled with R, but yet I can never fill the vacant jobs, and I have jobs open at all wealth levels.   I have 233K people and like 8K workers.   WTF?   What are the other 225K doing?   There are jobs people, go find work!  

I understand what you mean about the endless loop that spirals.   I believe once you come somewhat close to balancing jobs/workers and your city is happy, just move on to something else.   I don't really believe the developers goal was to make this a deep level simulation, more of a just plop stuff down and build.

I've had this issue as well.  I created a sort of experimental city with 1 straight avenue off of the highway exit, extended to the opposite edge of the map, then made it hook back around.  Basically a 1 road city or sorts.  I then made industry all along the end of that road, and placed a trade depot between my 1 residential block (i'm trying to build slowly to get only high-dens res).  With some commercial.  Not only do I not see the trade depot taking on Freight, the buildings that give me the "somewhere to ship freight" comments are right smack in between other industrial buildings who seem to have no problem shipping their freight.

As slick as this game looks, it's feedback is lacking at some times.  I too agree that I'm not entirely sure what is happening.  My overview tab says that all of the orders are filled, and there are unfulfilled orders.  In theory, if I am behind on freight orders, all freight should be shipping somewhere.  That's what I would think it is.  Apparently that's not that case.

My only guess is that the tab isn't descriptive enough and that there are 3 forms (for each tech level similar to R/C wealth) of freight orders.  With low tech industry, I may have a surplus in low-tech goods, and those unfulfilled orders are actually medium/high tech goods.

I also don't seem to understand that shopping goods vs freight orders.  It seems that Freight going to commercial has no bearing on commercial development (unconfirmed) as commercial just spawns with goods to sell each day.  I'm not sure what entirely sets the number of freight orders.

I think you are experiencing exactly the same thing as I am. 

There are plenty of ploppable buildings that create freight orders, along with C.   I assume Maxis did this to give I someplace to ship freight.   Afterall, the pupose of I in this game is basically to give R high density places to work, basically alot of jobs in one spot.   More people working, more shoppers, happy people.   It really seems I is completely optional in this game except for the purpose of supplying high density jobs.    Commercial spawns twice a day with 'goods'.   Oil factories don't shut down if they don't receive their freight orders, neither do commercial shops.   I'm starting believe the game is designed to always have unfulfilled freight orders so I doesn't shut down.

Yes, I believe your are correct in saying all freight should be shipped somewhere, even at last resort the trade depot.  As to why I complains about 'no places to ship our freight' when there are lots of unfulfilled orders, I have no idea.   Especially when I don't see trucks leaving the building in the industry layer, it makes no sense.

I understand what you are saying about levels of freight, but from what I've seen that isn't implemented.   Freight is freight.

C spawns twice a day with 'goods'.  If you have alot of shoppers, 'goods' will be consumed hence having freight orders.  Freight shipped from I is sent to C to replenish. 

Now, there are some ploppable buildings that have built in freight orders.  Example, coal plants and oil plants = 1080 freight orders. 

You can find a list here which states what buildings create freight orders.   http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9368754.page

I assume if you add up all the buildings have inherently built in freight orders along with C, that should = total freight orders.

My brain hurts.

I have so many vacant jobs and not enough workers.  My whole map is filled with R, but yet I can never fill the vacant jobs, and I have jobs open at all wealth levels.   I have 233K people and like 8K workers.   WTF?   What are the other 225K doing?   There are jobs people, go find work!  

This is the "getfudgednumbers" thing you might have heard people talking about.  Apparently Glassbox can't actually simulate that many sims, so it doctors the numbers.  You'll notice a small city of under 5k has more reasonable numbers (though still not 1:1).  As the city grows and gets higher in population this number grows apart.  

I had posted an on the reddit forum here noticing the same thing you are, at the time others had started to notice this as well which spawned another thread here going into some more details.

What I've personally come to conclude, is that commercial is hugely overvalued, you most likely don't need as much commercial as you think you do.  As you said, Industrial seems to exist to become a job sink and provide a higher density of jobs, while commercial satisfies shoppers and provides a small amount of jobs.  It seems that you want industrial to be your main job creator while commercial will clean up the rest while also satisfying shoppers.  Quite honestly, the rise of all-R/Park cities leads me to believe that a small mix of Parks (which you'll need anyway to increase desirability) with commercial, lessening the burden of commercial space.

also agree with you on your head hurting.  Trying to wrap around whether the simulations are functioning correctly is maddening.  I'm wondering if soon enough after we've spent all this time optimizing/tweaking ways to get cities to work, Maxis will come out and say "oh now that we've fixed all that other stuff, we noticed that there's been problems with freight shipments/shopping orders.  Changing the whole thing!

I have noticed that about 1/10th of your population will be workers in almost all of my cities. Now an arcology can greatly help you, but with a 1:10 ratio you should have 10 residential blocks to one commerce block and one industrial block. I think 1:10 is way off, I would expect 1:5.

Just really appreciate everyone for contributing their information.   Thanks!   I have a greater understanding how this all works now ... wait a second, well perhaps not.   Haha.   At least now I know that I'm going to stop worrying about RCI, freight orders, population, low/medium/wealth jobs because none of it makes sense and matters.    If my city looks pretty, I'm good to go!

I can't confirm your comment about ensuring job positions for all wealth levels.   Thats another thing that is a mess with my city.   I have so many vacant jobs and not enough workers.  My whole map is filled with R, but yet I can never fill the vacant jobs, and I have jobs open at all wealth levels.   I have 233K people and like 8K workers.   WTF?   What are the other 225K doing?   There are jobs people, go find work!  

Well it looks like the simulation is working! all these freeloaders are just like the ones in real life!! lol

:lol: