Sign in to follow this  
cubercaleb

Possible to export and use coal locally at the same time?

14 posts in this topic

Right now I have a coal mine which is producing coal faster than my coal power plant can use it, since my industry wants a trade center to send frieght to I'm going to plop one down. I know you can set it to export, import, or use locally but can you set it to do two things? That way I can get coal to my power plant and export the rest which I don't need. 

Another side thing, right now my city keeps telling me it want's more residence, yet all my buildings are small little houses, I've been adding parks here and there, my road system consists of high/mid density avenues in 2 by 3 manor, allowing for up to 12 high density buildings per block (8-10 with large parks). I just handled the trash problem, fire is fine, little crime without the police station, no education because of a small population so its a waste of money, population of around 2k. Might need to add more parks. Medium parks parks are fine right? (what I use for the most part). Here is a photo of the city. 

Spark_2013-03-20_18-00-42_zps69354a9a.pn

You don't even need the two trade depots.

What occurs is your city resources are fulfilled first by the mine delivery trucks and then all trips after that go to the trade depot.

If you are looking to stockpile in your city and export... then unfortunately you do need the two trade depots as there is no way to seperate the what action you wish to perform 'export or use local' on each storage ploppable, only as a group for each resource type.

To make higher density RCI, you need to make the existing buildings happy (shopping park and job for R, shopper for C, frieght for I), high-density enough road, and most importantly TIME.

Basically the sim will go out in the morning, pass shop, job, park, etc and return home, adding happiness to the building. After the happiness adds up enough, you get higher density buildings. So you won't get  all upgrades instantly, you need at least a few days in-game time.

Coal trade:

All resources work the same way: first they satisfy local demand, then they either go to the stockpile "use locally" or get exported.

Population growth: Click on the RCI button. You'll see a small menu pop up in the right bottom corner of the screen. Click the bottom right icon in it. Now you can mouseover buildings and see their happiness level. You need to achieve 30 happiness in order for buildings to start growing to medium density.

Parks grant a one-time bonus to adjacent buildings. These bonuses are permanent until you remove the park. So stacking parks is just quickening the process, but the main source of happiness is being able to earn (work) and spend (commercial) money. Just let the city run, eventually they will reach 30 happiness. 

Spark_2013-03-20_22-06-06_zpsbe19efea.pn

This is where I got my city, apparently even if I set the trade depot to export the powerplant will get coal anyway. Also My city has grown, has parks (large parks), sucks up a ton of water and puts out a ton of sewage, only 30/70kgal/h being used from the region and the pipes get "backed up" occasionally. Really do need a department of public utilities, need a higher pop. though. Anyways I'm still baffled on why my city has a low population, looking at some of haljackey's videos I've seem some of his cities with low/mid density, low/mid wealth buildings which have much, much higher populations. 

Edit: I think the debug enabler mod unfudges the population count, which means I might have 50k, I just can't see it.

Edit: I think the debug enabler mod unfudges the population count, which means I might have 50k, I just can't see it.

It does... did you not read the docs....?

The 50k is the real amount of sims

When start making more money, put but big water & waste plants. 

As for the population, you need parks for the type of resident wealth you need, and 7% residential taxation

If you need low wealth workers put on an area only low wealth parks. On med wealth only med wealth parks (can overlap some of the low wealth) . 

And so on. 

ake sure both commercial & residential benefit from a park. 

You will have skyscrapers really fast. I do get the sky scrapers in less than 10 minutes gametime. 

When start making more money, put but big water & waste plants. 

As for the population, you need parks for the type of resident wealth you need, and 7% residential taxation

If you need low wealth workers put on an area only low wealth parks. On med wealth only med wealth parks (can overlap some of the low wealth) . 

And so on. 

ake sure both commercial & residential benefit from a park. 

You will have skyscrapers really fast. I do get the sky scrapers in less than 10 minutes gametime. 

I put medium parks on every block of the road, have taxes at 7%, 20% for high wealth so they don't build (they create job and traffic problems) and yet I still get high wealth buildings, so I said screw it and lowered taxes (this is in a new city). About 25k pop, high wealth and medium wealth buildings, parks on every residential/commercial block, plenty of services, good land values, etc yet the darn city won't build larger, also HD industry keeps building and setting on fire, apparently I need a hazmat fire engine, I can't plop a department of education, department of public safety, university, school of engineering, and a large fire station right now, to much money. Note I build this particular city in about 1-2 hours and still nothing, taxes are at 7% Photos:

Spark_2013-03-21_18-48-40_zps774c7b31.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_19-00-21_zps27c49cdc.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_19-00-23_zpsf62d68d9.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_19-00-26_zpsd66501eb.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_19-00-29_zps68261ed7.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_19-00-55_zps060342a6.pn

No idea what is up, note I don't have the debugger anymore, so this is the "fudged population" I don't know how the heck you manage to get skyscrapers on 10 minutes

Dropped the residential and commercial taxes to 0%, within 10 minutes mid/high density, high wealth skyscrapers popped up, 130k now, I think I get this game now. Lower taxes, allow buildings to build, then raise taxes and continue until you need more. sadly I had to dip money into a recycling center, more advanced coal burners, a hospital, sewage treatment plant add ons, water pumping station add ons, etc. Caused my income to drop :( but I'm still profitable. Funny thing, even though I have two freight trade depots my industry complains they can't ship their stuff, and thus go out of business  I'm also now seeing the traffic problems people have been talking about, darn single lane highway on/off ramp!

More photos:

Spark_2013-03-21_20-53-49_zpsd6074618.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_20-53-57_zpsa8428a51.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_20-54-16_zpsb3d29c8e.pn

Spark_2013-03-21_21-06-45_zps0b174190.pn

What wealth are the parks? We cannot see from the screenshot i believe. 

Large fountain parks, reflecting pool parks along the center block, everything else is medium path parks.

You have low population because your population is wealthy then.

You either lower the value of the land, or try to build asap a College or Uni, to raise the education levels, so high tech industry kicks in. 

Which in turn will drive $$$ demand

Either way, the population of the $$$ class, is smaller than the plebs ($) and the med income ($$). 

You have low population because your population is wealthy then.

You either lower the value of the land, or try to build asap a College or Uni, to raise the education levels, so high tech industry kicks in. 

Which in turn will drive $$$ demand

Either way, the population of the $$$ class, is smaller than the plebs ($) and the med income ($$). 

$$$ buildings look nice though, $ and $$ have ugly brick buildings.... And don't you only need a community college for high tech?