Sign in to follow this  
JustSomeZombie

Water, Water, Everywhere...

And not a drop to drink!

Alright, so I'm a little late to this particular region I'm playing in. They've already constructed an archology so I'm basically at my leisure to do as I please. I figure with coal and ore under the zone I chose, I'd go for a high tech industrial city. No big deal. I'm purchasing sewage, power, and water from the three neighboring zones connected by roads. Sewage and Power seem to be no sweat- they're easily outpacing my demand. The same should be true (if not more so) for water. I've constructed a metric ton of water towers (and even ran a water pumping station dry) in my city of 45K people in addition to the water they're providing. According to the regional charts, each one of the three cities should have been enough to cover my consumption alone. But it isn't. I'm running a huge water deficit somehow. All of that would be moot... except that the one building that perpetually has problems getting water is the advanced Coal Mine. When that shuts down due to lack of water, so does the smelting plant. When that goes I lose alloy. Once that's gone it's only a matter of time before the processor plants shut down (because the recycling plant can only provide so much.) I've tapped my entire zone completely dry (seriously- not a blue spec on the map.) Given that everything else, regionally, seems to be working I'm curious as to what could be the cause.

I've considered that it could be a time factor. My city sprang up (literally) overnight and the game mechanics could be just really, really late to the game... but then why is everything else working? I'm consuming less than a 1/4 of what the cities in my region have available for sale. Is there a way to increase that number? What am I missing here? 

Synchronization of regional resource trading is still pretty terrible. I've faced the same issues you have. In most cases its easier just to create the resource yourself because trading Power, Water and Sewage rarely works correctly and when it backfires it is more costly than if you had been supplying those resources yourself.

Synchronization of regional resource trading is still pretty terrible. I've faced the same issues you have. In most cases its easier just to create the resource yourself because trading Power, Water and Sewage rarely works correctly and when it backfires it is more costly than if you had been supplying those resources yourself.

Depends on the server you're on. As of late I find that the server I usually play on EU2,4,6 have wellupdated ressource sharing. However a key issue is that the excess ressources are shared by all cities, meaning in a cluster of 4, an excess of 75 kliters of water in one city will only be 25 kliter for each of the other cities, which gives a major headache to specialization of cities, as it gets more and more difficult to provide the needed ressources as the cities grow larger...

Depends on the server you're on. As of late I find that the server I usually play on EU2,4,6 have wellupdated ressource sharing. However a key issue is that the excess ressources are shared by all cities, meaning in a cluster of 4, an excess of 75 kliters of water in one city will only be 25 kliter for each of the other cities, which gives a major headache to specialization of cities, as it gets more and more difficult to provide the needed ressources as the cities grow larger...

Right you are! But even when I run experience when I have only two cities in a region I cannot buy the excess resource from one city from the other one. I've run into this problem mainly with water and sewage.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one facing this issue. A couple of things since my last post;

1.) I did a little reading a discovered that apparently (though this sounds wrong, and gross, and downright blasphemous) if you put a sewage treatment center right next (or very close to) a water pump, the ground water won't be depleted as quickly. I'm in the middle of trying this for myself this very minute. I also read that rain water is supposed to replenish ground reservoirs (which would make sense because... realistically, that water needs to be replenished somehow right?) but I've yet to have it rain so I'm not sure if that's true or not.

2.) My other thought was that maybe this works like sewage; so take the city from this example, it doesn't need a sewage treatment plant because all the sewage is being taken care of by the three other cities. But the instant I build a a plant? BLAMO, the the alarm turns red and that little person with their exclamation mark is demanding I build more at once, least my people be subject to baths of their filth. I don't need it but maybe the game mechanics aren't recognizing two things at once? That while that facility is at capacity, the city is just fine thanks to outside help? As an experiment, when every last pump and tower in my city is dry, I'll tear them all down and see what happens. 

Terribly frustrating but I'm thinking these sorts of "issues" will be corrected in the coming weeks. Thanks for the feedback all! Stay tuned.    

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one facing this issue. A couple of things since my last post;

1.) I did a little reading a discovered that apparently (though this sounds wrong, and gross, and downright blasphemous) if you put a sewage treatment center right next (or very close to) a water pump, the ground water won't be depleted as quickly. I'm in the middle of trying this for myself this very minute. I also read that rain water is supposed to replenish ground reservoirs (which would make sense because... realistically, that water needs to be replenished somehow right?) but I've yet to have it rain so I'm not sure if that's true or not.

2.) My other thought was that maybe this works like sewage; so take the city from this example, it doesn't need a sewage treatment plant because all the sewage is being taken care of by the three other cities. But the instant I build a a plant? BLAMO, the the alarm turns red and that little person with their exclamation mark is demanding I build more at once, least my people be subject to baths of their filth. I don't need it but maybe the game mechanics aren't recognizing two things at once? That while that facility is at capacity, the city is just fine thanks to outside help? As an experiment, when every last pump and tower in my city is dry, I'll tear them all down and see what happens. 

Terribly frustrating but I'm thinking these sorts of "issues" will be corrected in the coming weeks. Thanks for the feedback all! Stay tuned.    

#1 is totally true. That's the only sustainable way to give your city water. As long as your sewage outputs match or are greater than your water demands you'll never run out. This method doesn't work in balance, however, if you are selling your water to neighbors or giving your sewage to neighbors.

#2, I know exactly what you mean. My city is doing that to me, not just about water, but about power and sewage too. I ignore a lot of the 'advisor alerts' as they aren't actually programmed to be all that helpful sometimes. When I've got like 100kgal excess and they are warning me I'm running out of water, despite my water data layer informing me my water tables are full and all of my pumps are not dry and every building in my city has water, I just ignore him. Its too bad this isn't like a real city and I could just fire the stupid advisor.

I read somewhere that a city can only sell 33% of its extra resources to another city. So if city 1 has 100 gallons of water excess it can only sell you 33.33 gallons. I have never seen a city run dry of water tho. I don't get why there isnt a water pump you can put on the water. It doesn't state if that water is salt water or fresh!

I read somewhere that a city can only sell 33% of its extra resources to another city. So if city 1 has 100 gallons of water excess it can only sell you 33.33 gallons. I have never seen a city run dry of water tho. I don't get why there isnt a water pump you can put on the water. It doesn't state if that water is salt water or fresh!

I've run a few megalopolises dry before I realized that exporting my sewage to another person's city actually drains my water tables. Yeah, it is totally too bad that there isn't an option to desalinate water or use river water. Maybe this will become an option later?

I've run a few megalopolises dry before I realized that exporting my sewage to another person's city actually drains my water tables. Yeah, it is totally too bad that there isn't an option to desalinate water or use river water. Maybe this will become an option later?

Part of the current problem with water tables is that the rivers *should* be replenishing the supply. If you place a water pump against the bank, it should, in theory, never run out (as per one of the Maxis guys). They have said they're working on this bug..

One thing that confuses me in regards to all of these water issues is that I've pretty much never had a problem with the water in my cities. Am I alone with this? My pumps/water towers seem to last forever, and I frequently see rain replenishing things for me. It seems like this should be a bug that affects everyone, but it seems to have passed over my game.. not that I'm complaining, by any means. :P

Part of the current problem with water tables is that the rivers *should* be replenishing the supply. If you place a water pump against the bank, it should, in theory, never run out (as per one of the Maxis guys). They have said they're working on this bug..

One thing that confuses me in regards to all of these water issues is that I've pretty much never had a problem with the water in my cities. Am I alone with this? My pumps/water towers seem to last forever, and I frequently see rain replenishing things for me. It seems like this should be a bug that affects everyone, but it seems to have passed over my game.. not that I'm complaining, by any means. :P

Out of curiosity, what is the water demands in your city in terms of k/gal?

Also out of curiosity, how are your pollution levels doing?  (I have a theory that increased pollution reduces rain fall amount and frequency, but I could be wrong on this.)

Also out of curiosity, how are your pollution levels doing?  (I have a theory that increased pollution reduces rain fall amount and frequency, but I could be wrong on this.)

That's a decent thought, but seeing how overly simplified much of this game is (like how all traffic was shortest path) I'd venture to guess that a complex dynamic between pollution levels and rain fall is probably far fetched, you know what I mean?

Not at home at the moment, but I'll update once I'm able to check.

Generally, my cities have very low pollution (I hate using industry, and I make sure to stay on top of garbage/sewage collection).

That's a decent thought, but seeing how overly simplified much of this game is (like how all traffic was shortest path) I'd venture to guess that a complex dynamic between pollution levels and rain fall is probably far fetched, you know what I mean?

It's certainly possible that a complex mechanic is beyond the scope of the programming, but a simple dynamic could be.  For every 10% that pollution goes up, rainfall amount and frequency could fall 10%.  Wouldn't be hard to implement a system like that.

It's certainly possible that a complex mechanic is beyond the scope of the programming, but a simple dynamic could be.  For every 10% that pollution goes up, rainfall amount and frequency could fall 10%.  Wouldn't be hard to implement a system like that.

I guess that's true that there could be a ratio between pollution and rain, but it would somewhat surprise me if there was because it isn't all that realistic. That and if you're up wind from neighbors that are generating a lot of pollution its already bad enough that it drifts into your city and causes people to get sick, but causing it to rain less? Now that's harsh.

Not at home at the moment, but I'll update once I'm able to check.

>Also out of curiosity, how are your pollution levels doing?  (I have a theory that increased pollution reduces rain fall amount and frequency, but I could be wrong on this.)

Generally, my cities have very low pollution (I hate using industry, and I make sure to stay on top of garbage/sewage collection).

Well if you don't know your kgal requirements, how large/populace  are your cities? How long do you play them?

And not a drop to drink!

Alright, so I'm a little late to this particular region I'm playing in. They've already constructed an archology so I'm basically at my leisure to do as I please. I figure with coal and ore under the zone I chose, I'd go for a high tech industrial city. No big deal. I'm purchasing sewage, power, and water from the three neighboring zones connected by roads. Sewage and Power seem to be no sweat- they're easily outpacing my demand. The same should be true (if not more so) for water. I've constructed a metric ton of water towers (and even ran a water pumping station dry) in my city of 45K people in addition to the water they're providing. According to the regional charts, each one of the three cities should have been enough to cover my consumption alone. But it isn't. I'm running a huge water deficit somehow. All of that would be moot... except that the one building that perpetually has problems getting water is the advanced Coal Mine. When that shuts down due to lack of water, so does the smelting plant. When that goes I lose alloy. Once that's gone it's only a matter of time before the processor plants shut down (because the recycling plant can only provide so much.) I've tapped my entire zone completely dry (seriously- not a blue spec on the map.) Given that everything else, regionally, seems to be working I'm curious as to what could be the cause.

I've considered that it could be a time factor. My city sprang up (literally) overnight and the game mechanics could be just really, really late to the game... but then why is everything else working? I'm consuming less than a 1/4 of what the cities in my region have available for sale. Is there a way to increase that number? What am I missing here? 

Make a U filled with water filtration upgrades, remove the 1 water pump.  Make a road and plop a sewage out-pipe in the U to pollute the ground with feces.  This will support your water needs for populations over 600k.  I currently have 600k population and am selling water to neighbors with this method. Keep the garbage dump as close as possible and oil/coal power plants to increase the ground pollution.

And not a drop to drink!

Make a U filled with water filtration upgrades, remove the 1 water pump.  Make a road and plop a sewage out-pipe in the U to pollute the ground with feces.  This will support your water needs for populations over 600k.  I currently have 600k population and am selling water to neighbors with this method. Keep the garbage dump as close as possible and oil/coal power plants to increase the ground pollution.

How on earth are you still using outflow pipes with a population of 600k? Your entire city must be one giant septic field!

My demand is 264k/gal, The pump has been in the same place (an island) for over 4 game years. The water map is showing significantly less water around the pump but still dark blue under the pump. I only have 55,000 residents.

My demand is 264k/gal, The pump has been in the same place (an island) for over 4 game years. The water map is showing significantly less water around the pump but still dark blue under the pump. I only have 55,000 residents.

I did notice something similar to this in a new city I started post 1.7. Maybe they snuck in a ninja patch to water in 1.7?

The thought of pollution reducing rainfall is an intriguing one but... I'm leaning to the side that says this game wasn't programmed to go that in depth. If it does, I'm kind of screwed in this particular region since they've already built an Archology that basically wrecked the environment to create. If rainfall only happens in environmentally friendly cities (... which, now thinking on it, is the only time I've seen it rain in the game- in a city I created that used nothing but solar and wind for power- but that could be pure coincidence) then I might as well rebrand Lost Angles Los Vegas.

I can verify, 100%, that the sewage treatment plant alleviated the problem (though it took a while.) The city is still bone dry, but so far, so good.

I should also point out that I'm using 108K gallons per hour in a city of 46K people. It is heavily industrial, with a completely maxed out advanced coal mine, two ore mines, three processor plants, and then a whole host of industrial zones with just one small section for residential. The recycling plan is also maxed out. In a different region, I have a city with a population of about 115K. They're only using 80K gallons per hour. It's on an island and that city is almost completely residential with just a few commercial spaces.

So... does industrial require more water to operate on whole? 

To the "U" idea... I'd try it if I had the space, but land is at a premium here. I can't take up that kind of space until it becomes dire (and I'm pretty sure this city will run out of resources before then.)

The specialization buildings require significant reserves of water and power to keep them running.  It's one of the drawbacks to doing a city specialization.

Unfortunately, rain does not appear to replenish ground water (in my experience).

Your chosen spec requires huge amounts of water for the mines, smelter and factories. You will need a neighbor that provides a huge amount of water for you. It needs tweaking in my opinion. If you are on a river or lake, you shouldn't be draining the water table in my opinion. If you are not on either, it is reasonable to need help from the region.

Well if you don't know your kgal requirements, how large/populace  are your cities? How long do you play them?

My usual server is down for maintenance apparently... the ones I've been working on heavily are somewhere in the range of 20 000-90 000 people each, all with a specialization or another (one is casino's, another is oil..).. they all have some decent playtime, many hours in each city.

I was thinking... Is it possible that different regions have a different frequency of replenishment? Some more arid than others?

And not a drop to drink!

How on earth are you still using outflow pipes with a population of 600k? Your entire city must be one giant septic field!

Just one outflow pipe which spills dirty water into your filtration system.  You also need the utilities city hall version with full upgrades.  That little dirty outflow pipe supplies you water for the rest of the game though.