Sign in to follow this  
Pinstar

Congested Mass Transit

So I have my large Residential + High Tech city running nicely so far. I have about 150k residents and 50k in industrial jobs...all I-HT (using the industry doubler). It is also holding all the I-HT demand for its neighboring city that has (about 130k pop).

Since my city was going to be largely industrial, I decided to make its primary form of mass transit railroads (to help with freight shipping). Thanks to the NAM 3.1, people are using it... a LOT. IN fact the two rail lines coming down from my residential area are bright red with congestion. (The rails are, mind you. The Roads are all mostly green, with a few single-tiles of congestion at intersections). My question is twofold:

1. Does rail congestion slow sims down the same way as roads?

2. Given the speed of rail travel, is rail congestion really a problem (to the degree it is for roads)

3. If yes to #1 and 2, any suggestions for reducing congestion? The shape of the terrain creates a bit of a bottle-neck between my residential area and the industry.

I'm *just* starting to get abandonment due to commute time...but it is very sporatic and not an epidemic...yet. I'm hoping to fix things so it does not become a bigger problem.

1. I believe so, but rail capacity is that high that you probably will not need to worry about it.

2. Unless you have a huge network running on a double track (one tile) network, no.

Is the abandonment due to 'commute time' simply because the sim doesn't have a job to go to at all? That could be the case.

A little prophylaxis may be indicated.  Try running a monorail alongside one of your rail links.  Should pick up most of the fare-paying public.  Don't forget to place bus stations at the monorail stations as well as parking garages as there is no parking at monorail stations.

You might also want to try a higher capacity of the traffic simulator; that may be more appropriate for your city.

In the NAM, unless you've messed with the maximum commute time significantly (and you'd know if you did), congestion does not lead to abandonment due to commute time.

If you're starting to get abandonment due to commute time, it's time to put in subways.  If you already have some, put in more.  The heavy rail traffic indicates that your Sims need a lot of rapid transit.