Sign in to follow this  
elektrichead22

would you be willing to spend $200 on a future COMPLETE Simcity?

The gaming industry has had to make some moves that we don't agree with... As we move from the age of expansion packs to the age of DLC... Is there any one else that is willing to make the jump to spend two hundred dollars on a bug free. dlc free game? Let's face it games haven't been keeping pace with the economy over the past decade which is good and bad for us.... Simcity is one of the few pc games to jump into the 59 dollar mark rather than the 49.... But having said that I am a PC gamer,,, I drop a few thousand every year or so on a new gaming rig. I am not opposed to PC games taking the high road and taking back it's place on high end gaming.  I for one am willing to drop $200 dollars for a game that is complete and all encompassing with no bugs. I spent at most 70 dollars on sc4 and rh and it provided me with thousands of hours of entertainment making my entertainment value  fractions of a cent on the hour of gameplay... I am willing to do that and more if I was presented with a product worth purchasing and replaying instead of the hurried and dlc xp planned crap when have been getting for ten years. And since the wicked witch is dead at EA I hope his successor at least thinks half way with me.

When do you consider a city builder as complete? When it has subways, boats or rollercoasters for a parish fair? Or when I can place individual trash bins in a park? Or when I have influence over the traffic light cycle so everyone gets in time to the Kate Perry concert?

The thing is that everyone expects something different from such a game and if you try to include everything you will end up with an enormous feature list, but many of these features will remain unused by a large number of players and you still have to pay for all features. I rather have a decent priced game with basic features and the ability to extend it with niche content if I wish to do that.

it would have to be superior. Most of the games, so called AAA titles coming out now are not worth much than few bucks even considering all the DLC/extra stuff.

Even if it was the best game ever created in mankind, to me it still would just be a game. I don't have $200 just lying around, and if I did, I would have better things to spend it on. So for me, it's a no,  but it would be neat to see a more solid Simcity hit the market. (hopefully not at $200! :P )

200 dollars? In some countries this is the best salary you'll ever get! :P

Yes, if I knew it was keep me entertained for a few years like SimCity 4 did, and would continue to work without Internet. Of course, without the DRM, the game would be pirated to hell anyway, so even if they charged $200 for it, it would still end up on thepiratebay.

Honestly, as crap as DRM is, it's the only way at the moment companies can protect their stuff (and even that eventually gets cracked)

Yes, if I knew it was keep me entertained for a few years like SimCity 4 did, and would continue to work without Internet. Of course, without the DRM, the game would be pirated to hell anyway, so even if they charged $200 for it, it would still end up on thepiratebay.

Honestly, as crap as DRM is, it's the only way at the moment companies can protect their stuff (and even that eventually gets cracked)

10 dollar games like left for dead 2 get pirated... if the game is worth it would think that 50 bucks of the asking price could be set aside to  a less intrusive drm that doesn't allow hackers to install viruses via game content... And to the previous replies the state of sc5  wasn't my topic for future purchase ... sc5 is my reason for a game that is working well thought out and tested.... some say games aren't launched without bugs... yet i say sc2 sc3 were released without the buffer of an internet connection and a patch... they had to be released workable less word of mouth killed it

Besides that, this game will probably end up costing over $200 with the eventual DLC to expand the city size and add things that should have been in the game anyway, like highways, metro, etc..

Besides that, this game will probably end up costing over $200 with the eventual DLC to expand the city size and add things that should have been in the game anyway, like highways, metro, etc..

lol my point exactly !

I don't think I'd ever spend anything more than $80 (what I spent on SC2013) for a video game. Even $80 was a stretch. For one thing, I don't have that kind of money. Also, even if it was the best CBG with a detailed simulation, realistic graphics, and amazing gameplay, it's still just a game. No game is worth $200, IMO. My computer probably wouldn't be able to run it anyway. As the game industry progresses, games become more taxing on computers. I can't even run SC2013 after getting a new processor that fits the requirements, so I can't imagine being able to play a CBG with better gameplay, simulation, etc. Besides, the gameplay of the new SimCity is good enough for me. Although it has issues and need a lot of work, at it's foundations, it is enjoyable.

I've easily spent over $2000 on Flight Simulator software in the past year, these are all addons and things that improve the game and as a hobby, I don't mind investing in it.

As it stands, I don't actually think SimCity is that expensive compared to some of the rubbish you can buy on consoles etc. The problem with this game is that it is considered a "game" and not a "simulation". If it was meant as a more professional/complex simulation, with more realistic problems and tools and addons, and not "Maxis-man superhero" type addons, then I think $200 would be a reasonable price tag.

150 quid???? Are you a troll or just having a laugh?

I paid 40, and not paying a penny more until they sort the game out. They're a long way from the shambles of last week, but still have a long way to go till they get to the functionality and fun of SC4.

150 quid???? Are you a troll or just having a laugh?

I paid 40, and not paying a penny more until they sort the game out. They're a long way from the shambles of last week, but still have a long way to go till they get to the functionality and fun of SC4.

lol american here i still laugh every time i hear quid but the point being a game being released with no ep released for years on end and no left out content for months on end... 

take ac3 the george washington dlc was known even before the game released.... at what point do we not get what we paid for??? and some poor saps paid 40 american dollars for a year subsription to dlc that will never come to ac3 because thankfully they are skipping the boring character of ac3 and going to ac4.... but if you are a rpg guy i bet they take the shipwar way to far in ac4 and the game will be too quick and unreplayable,

Sorry I should point out that I was kidding when I asked if the OP was a troll. I'm not like that.

Honest :P

No.  The reason that expansion packs and DLC sell so well is that you can play the game to death for 6 months and then an expansion comes along and you can explore the new content and enjoy the game all over again for another few months or so.  The price doesn't make such a big impact on your wallet and it's not as risky to buy into.  It's a big ask to get people to pay premium prices up front.  The fact that so many people object to the SC13 deluxe £60 price tag demonstrates that. (As I've mentioned before I bought the limited edition disk version using gift vouchers as part payment to lessen the risk to my "investment") 

Plus at £60 we really should already be getting a bug free game or as best as can be achieved after proper testing.  So many big titles come out now with big promises and just as many bugs.  I'd laugh in their face if they expected me to believe that their £200 product was bug free.  

Also the practicalities of it.  The game would be in development forever and probably overhyped by the time that it came out causing the inevitable back lash from people who built up their expectations too much.  Lots of the more impatient gamers would complain about the gameplay without properly exploring all of the extra features included from the added development time. 

Plus there is a creative element to it.  Although I'm sure a lot of games have the DLC/expansion planned out before the base game release sometimes it's only after players get their hands on the game that they start expressing ideas for content or features that seem to fit in with the way that they want to play.  These can only be added if there is time to see how players are playing the game and reading their feedback.  No game can be 100% perfected at the beginning. 

No way in hell.  The most Ive spent was $100 on a game, and that for was for the D3 Collectors edition and that game paid for itself as I sold $280 worth of stuff on the RMAH.  But for actual game content, Ive never gone over $60.  $200 is insane and I think its disgusting.  This new DLC trend makes me sick.  I hope the ps4/nextbox have better anti piracy measures so its not so much of an issue.  Not sure wtf to do aobut pc games though.

thank you all to responding to my post but I guess i haven't asked my question clearly enough.... NO MORE DLC NO MORE EP NO MORE DRM just a game 200?????

Guess I'm the only here crazy enough in that I would actually pay that for a real successor to SimCity 4 :-)

thank you all to responding to my post but I guess i haven't asked my question clearly enough.... NO MORE DLC NO MORE EP NO MORE DRM just a game 200?????

Nope.  You get close with trilogy type game if you buy all 3, but $200 is too much sticker shock.  If you don't like the game, youre screwed.  Buying a series in parts lets you choose parts 2 and 3 if you liked/loved the game or not.  Also, some gives give 100+ hours of gameplay if they are good.  SC4, Dark/Demons Souls, FF7 and 10, and Diablo 3 are all games that I spent at least 120 hours playing.  $200 is obsurd unless there is 500+ hours of content.  That package is too big for the industry to work well.

$200? Did you just pull that number out of your, hat? There's so much you could do with that amount of cash, why would you waste it all on a single game!

A bug free game is impossible and I don't see the logic in paying more for less. All I want is that the developers start to focus more on the actual product rather than the marketing of it. Then I'd happily buy it at a standard price.

(edited)

A bug free game is impossible and I don't see the logic in paying more for less. All I want is that the developers start to focus more on the actual product rather than the marketing of it. Then I'd happily buy it at a standard price.

when i was a teenager even a dos that couldn't be patched was doomed

Edited by CaptCity

Keep it clean...

Some games are already getting big money close to this.  Rise of Flight was I believe $49 when it first came out with only 4 planes.  I now own about 25 planes.  they normally sell for between $8-15 for bombers and special planes.  Sometimes you can buy them on sale in packs.  They also sell scarfs, goggles, pistols, compasses, and other upgrades for $5-10. 

If the game is successful, after a while you forget about the original investment and plop down $5 here and $10 there when your friends show you some of their planes and other stuff and you get some good feedback.

In Simcity, I don't really see paying just one building unless it's like a huge airport with lot's of options and things to customize it.  Maybe huge recreational or industrial harbors?  But not for a cool Burger King...  And I hope the modding community is able to provide lot's of free stuff, and it's not all just payware.

I’m not sure if I entirely understand your argument. The OP seems to be very much against DLC and how over time, the price for a game when all DLC is included can be $200 or more. Am I wrong in concluding that the argument is then, to avoid DLC by paying the same price, or even a slightly lower price to get all of that content upfront, all at once?

If so, then no I do not agree. The idea behind DLC is that the user can pick and choose whichever content he/she wants and can avoid the ones that do not appear interesting. Your idea means that the user gets everything for one large lump sum, even the content they may not be particularly interested in. With that being the case, I would rather be able to choose which DLC I wanted. Plus, as previously brought up, at the time of release it is hard to know what issues people might have with the game, or what content they want added in the future. If DLC is released in a staggered manner, that gives time for the developers to read customer complaints and suggestions, and then release content based on what people want added to the game. Your model does not allow that.

As far as DRM goes I do not support the idea of paying more to get rid of it. DRM should not exist in its current form in the first place, and offering to pay more to get rid of it is the equivalent of throwing in the towel and letting game companies rape our wallet. We should absolutely not have to pay more to get a DRM-free game.

(edited)

Some games are already getting big money close to this.  Rise of Flight was I believe $49 when it first came out with only 4 planes.  I now own about 25 planes.  they normally sell for between $8-15 for bombers and special planes.  Sometimes you can buy them on sale in packs.  They also sell scarfs, goggles, pistols, compasses, and other upgrades for $5-10. 

If the game is successful, after a while you forget about the original investment and plop down $5 here and $10 there when your friends show you some of their planes and other stuff and you get some good feedback.

In Simcity, I don't really see paying just one building unless it's like a huge airport with lot's of options and things to customize it.  Maybe huge recreational or industrial harbors?  But not for a cool Burger King...  And I hope the modding community is able to provide lot's of free stuff, and it's not all just payware.

hence i say f the bs and give us a real game tweeked out and playable for 200

the simcity dlc is coming we already saw the improved marina costing fifteen dollars.... especially if it is mmo.... I hate the fact my fiance spent 200 on candy crush this year and its a game for android!!!! 

Edited by CaptCity

Keep it clean...