Sign in to follow this  
RRtexasranger

Is a high wealth city one way to mitigate the traffic problem?

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking to redo this tourist/gambling city now that I have more experience with the game, however, I'm thinking about making this tourist/gambling city almost exclusively medium/high wealth because I read that high wealth residential doesn't have as many sims. So, I'm thinking that with less sims moving about, tourism will be more profitable as I might actually be able to get tourists in/out of my city better. Would a lack of low wealth sims cause a major problem or anything?

And one small question that I really don't want to make a separate topic for. if I create a great work, will it only affect the cities where the great work is near, or will it affect all cities in the region?

You are correct that high wealth will  reduce traffic.  And yes, only connected cities are affected by great works.

But you will get a lot of low wealth commuters getting in your city and creating traffic. If you don't have a single low wealth worker in your city, who is going to pick up the trash ? Obviously a low wealth worker coming from the region..

Depending how big you want your city to be. 

If you want to create a metropolis, consider not to have any industrial and let everyone commute out of the city. Just create a T junction avenue network and you are done. No need for buses either. 

Any resources focus city with 20-30k low-mid wealth population, can make 300k per day easily, and no traffic issues. With 1/3 of the map used. The rest can be empty. 

A gambling city, you need an extensive train network, and you can limit the population to only the rich people. 

Of course you can build everything in a city, and at ~120k population, you need to rebuild the road network to longer faster roads, and keep the happiness of each class high enough, so when you demolish 5-6 buildings to lay another roads, they will pop straight away with skyscrapers. 

It seems the more population you have, the less intersections you need on your road network.  :rofl: 

You are correct that high wealth will  reduce traffic.  And yes, only connected cities are affected by great works.

But you will get a lot of low wealth commuters getting in your and creating traffic. If you don't have a single low wealth worker in your city, who is going to pick up the trash ? Obviously a low wealth worker coming from the region..

Well, the plan is to have a very limited number of places where low wealth workers can go. Garbage, power, water, and sewage for instance I plan on outsourcing to another city because firstly, I believe they are sources of low wealth jobs, and secondly, because the map I'm building the city on doesn't have a lot of land, so I'll only plop what I have to. I some workers may have to come in to work in the fire/police stations and the health clinics, but I don't think it would cause too much traffic.

But you will get a lot of low wealth commuters getting in your and creating traffic. If you don't have a single low wealth worker in your city, who is going to pick up the trash ? Obviously a low wealth worker coming from the region..

Well, the plan is to have a very limited number of places where low wealth workers can go. Garbage, power, water, and sewage for instance I plan on outsourcing to another city because firstly, I believe they are sources of low wealth jobs, and secondly, because the map I'm building the city on doesn't have a lot of land, so I'll only plop what I have to. I some workers may have to come in to work in the fire/police stations and the health clinics, but I don't think it would cause too much traffic.

Agree to this.. I forgot about outsourcing civil services. It's a good solution to reduce opened low wealth job.

Panos I confussed how can you make 300k a day only using 1/3 of the map with Residence and Commerical. what type of roads are you using plus more details.

Thanks

By selling coal, ore, oil and the like. Resource cities are harder to set up, but easier to turn to really good profit.

Well, my plan didn't quite pan out as I was hoping, still in the process of diagnosing what exactly I did wrong. It worked well for a little while, but as my population edged up past 30K or so, things began to breakdown. Somehow, I still have thousands of low wealth jobs even though I have hardly any low-wealth commercial. However, according to the details page, only 150 sims are commuting out for work and nobody is commuting in. Another problem is that there are 11K sims commuting in for shopping (the city has 40K people), so I think that is contributing to some traffic pile ups. 

However, I also noticed that a significant number of my sims are going to work at Great Work site nearby (which is a giant cluster**** in itself as its progress isn't updating anymore.) What is that all about? I want my sims to be working in my city if they are in need of a job, not going somewhere else, its contributing to the bottleneck problem when they leave/enter my city. 

Well, my plan didn't quite pan out as I was hoping, still in the process of diagnosing what exactly I did wrong. It worked well for a little while, but as my population edged up past 30K or so, things began to breakdown. Somehow, I still have thousands of low wealth jobs even though I have hardly any low-wealth commercial. However, according to the details page, only 150 sims are commuting out for work and nobody is commuting in. Another problem is that there are 11K sims commuting in for shopping (the city has 40K people), so I think that is contributing to some traffic pile ups. 

However, I also noticed that a significant number of my sims are going to work at Great Work site nearby (which is a giant cluster**** in itself as its progress isn't updating anymore.) What is that all about? I want my sims to be working in my city if they are in need of a job, not going somewhere else, its contributing to the bottleneck problem when they leave/enter my city. 

Someone stills needs to clean the floors and take the garbage out including carrying all those heavy suitcases for the rich people ^^ High-wealth shops doesn't give high-wealth jobs only.

Regardless I find that high-wealth sims are a pain in the neck, they will only take the blasted ferry or drive by car to commute, making them far more difficult to deal with in traffic, or at least that is my idea of those snobs.