Sign in to follow this  
Catchin22

Free Game?

I wouldnt expect anything until 9am PST at the earliest.  I really do hope one of the options is a credit for a future SimCity DLC, because honestly there is not a single game I have any desire to own (I have never really been a "gamer", I have played and loved every version of SimCity and Civilization since both first came out and have never gotten into any other games).

Hopefully they have a wide variety of games to choose from. I have a few in mind.

Oh and, I haven't got the email yet either.

I wouldnt expect anything until 9am PST at the earliest.  I really do hope one of the options is a credit for a future SimCity DLC, because honestly there is not a single game I have any desire to own (I have never really been a "gamer", I have played and loved every version of SimCity and Civilization since both first came out and have never gotten into any other games).

I agree. I rather have the option for a future SimCity DLC (ok no a single building DLC but something more meaningful). Or provide us with the code, so we can sell the code. 

Game list was announced: https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra

No SimCity DLC option.  I had to look up what most of the games even were, mostly shooter type games.  One of them is a racing game, I think I will get that (I dont like shooting games).

A little dissapointed that there wasnt an option for a SimCity DLC, but not going to complain because I really am not that upset about the rough launch and remain confident SimCity will prove to be a solid game after some patches (I fully remember how awful SC4 was before any patches or rush hour).

Atleast you were able to play SC4 on launch day, and you can play it anytime you want(example 10 years later)

Free game? not any game, but one from a selected list? OMG that's awesome *cough*

you guys are way to easy to appease...

If they wanted to really apologize they should've just said "after careful reconsideration, we will be looking at enabling offline mode" 

I think that would make so many SC fans happy...or not, SC fans are a tough lot to make happy... :O

Game list was announced: https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra

No SimCity DLC option.  I had to look up what most of the games even were, mostly shooter type games.  One of them is a racing game, I think I will get that (I dont like shooting games).

A little dissapointed that there wasnt an option for a SimCity DLC, but not going to complain because I really am not that upset about the rough launch and remain confident SimCity will prove to be a solid game after some patches (I fully remember how awful SC4 was before any patches or rush hour).

Thats actually a way better list then I thought. I will probably get Dead Space 3. Ill prob play that more then Sim city lol. I would much rather free DLC or expansion though I think that would have been the best they could and should have done.

EA is brave to offer Sim City 4 Deluxe for free to SimCity owners. It may very well convert new players who suddenly no longer feel constrained by DRM, small tiles and you know the rest. The news will eventually spread and potential customers might buy the old game instead of the new one, thus harming turnover and maybe even future DLC plans. I'd have no problem with that outcome whatsoever.

I always wanted to try out the redone need for speed but I'm thinking that would be better on a console?

I played Mass Effect, but not #2.

I'm not one for shooters, COD4 was the last one I got. Only played online once. That was enough for me lol

I know nothing about the others (except SC4 of course :P)

garbage list. all those games have been on sale for like 10-15 bucks lately. plants vs zombies? bewjeweled? rofl what a joke. how about crysis 3...

Which games are available?

• Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Bejeweled 3
  • Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
  • MOHW (Standard Edition)
  • NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

I think this is a nice gesture from EA/MAXIS and i am saying this without any sarcasm or irony (actually i don't know which word would be right in this situation :lost:) . I'm not a gamer so except SC4 i don't have any of these games so for me this is like a 'buy one, get two' discount.

garbage list. all those games have been on sale for like 10-15 bucks lately. plants vs zombies? bewjeweled? rofl what a joke. how about crysis 3...

Most people probably cannot run Crysis 3.

Also that game is supposed be pretty bland.

Games go live at 5pm PST on Wednesday.

I guess I'll get ME3...

(edited)

I'll take ME3.  It's free.

I do understand what the guy is saying above about being appeased to easily.  But hey, just to get them to do this is strides.

Edited by CaptCity

Language... Read the rules.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the most shameful thing...this "apology" from EA has turned into a sale.  They are now not saying "sorry", they are using it to promote more sales of their broken game.  This is evidenced by the new extended deadline of when you can buy this game and still get the free game.  It's not an apology it's a sale now, plain and simple.  Also, most of those games have microtransactions and DLC that they are trusting some of you will get your wallets out for.  SC4 a 10 year old game, gee thanks.  Plants vs Zombies I've seen free on multiple occasions.  Bejeweled I can get on my ipad for $2 bucks?  OHHHH, THANK YOU EA!!!  :no:   

(edited)

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the most shameful thing...this "apology" from EA has turned into a sale.  They are now not saying "sorry", they are using it to promote more sales of their broken game.  This is evidenced by the new extended deadline of when you can buy this game and still get the free game.  It's not an apology it's a sale now, plain and simple.  Also, most of those games have microtransactions and DLC that they are trusting some of you will get your wallets out for.  SC4 a 10 year old game, gee thanks.  Plants vs Zombies I've seen free on multiple occasions.  Bejeweled I can get on my ipad for $2 bucks?  OHHHH, THANK YOU EA!!!  :no:   

Yea, this is no apology.. This is just a promosale now..."Anyone who buys SimCity/activates by the 25th, get a free game."

Edited by CaptCity

Language... Read the rules.

Between Maxis saying "we know we messed up" while giving away a free game and the EA CEO stepping down,  thats about the closest to an apology as you will ever get from the corperate world.  Its pretty huge really.

thats about the closest to an apology as you will ever get from the corperate world.  Its pretty huge really.

CEO getting fired/stepping down says a lot.  It is about as much as you get in the corporate world.  Class action lawsuit is the next step for the disaffected.   Me?  I'm rather enjoying the game, but I certainly understand the frustration.  I am patiently waiting for regional play to get better.

Yea, this is no apology.. This is just a promosale now..."Anyone who buys SimCity/activates by the 25th, get a free shitty game."

Yeah I chuckled and was going to post the same thing..."anyone who purchases and authenticates SimCity by March 25, 2013 at 11:59pm PDT"

Hmm...anyone who has yet to be inconvenienced will be compensated; this just screams "squeeze more SC2013 copy sales this week!"

EA is brave to offer Sim City 4 Deluxe for free to SimCity owners. It may very well convert new players who suddenly no longer feel constrained by DRM, small tiles and you know the rest. The news will eventually spread and potential customers might buy the old game instead of the new one, thus harming turnover and maybe even future DLC plans. I'd have no problem with that outcome whatsoever.

Yeah, including that title was not the smartest idea :P Had me raising an eyebrow there. 

I didn't get the link to pick up my game, will it be available on wednesday? Not sure what to get, NFS MO has a ton of DLC, like another $60 of it, seriously EA? Please tell me you won't do this with SimCity. ME3 has been on 50% sale before so I'll pick that up this summer.

You get the free game if you buy SimCity up until 25 March.  So it's basically become a sale.  The SimCity "community" won't benefit from this as much as EA and once it's done they can focus on ringing the DLC rag for every penny they can when they reintroduce the features from prior SimCity games that should have been there in the first place.  So basically, they're laughing really hard while still cashing the checks.

Whatever.

Hey, I'm a musician so I will give you a better deal.  Here's some of my original music:

http://soundcloud.com/endureth

It probably won't be your personal tastes, but it's free so I promise not to rip you off.  I'd like to dedicate the song "Hobby Horse" to someone over there, dunno who deserves it most:

http://soundcloud.com/endureth/hobby-horse

Exactly, it is smart. And a lot of people will buy in to it. No doubts there. 

The real irony is how such things are used on the balance sheet, it is fully artificial gain, but hey - welcome to statistics :P

And well, that they are laughing is clear anyway. It fits the mindset and the methods. The customer to them is just a joke at best, sheep at worst. That used to be different in our industry, and personally I think it would be smart to not fall prey to such a mentality. Unfortunately, it pays better, because consumers consume. Pure and simple. 

Hey guys I got the email about EA rolling out the free games (Battlefield 3, Medal of honor Warfighter, Mass Effect 3, Sim City 4 etc) I'm just wondering how and when can I receive my free game since I did activate my Sim City 2013 CD Key on Origin when do I get to choose and Install/Play my free game?? I live in the UK.

You will get an email from EA...

I already got mine and am downloading Battlefied-3.

Nice... but I want them to fix Simcity for sure !

ML