Sign in to follow this  
Glandrex

How do you handle your garbage?

In simcity 4 you have many ways of handling garbage without causing pollution but in simcity, apparently theres only garbage dump with built in dump or incinerator and it causes ALOT of air pollution. Any tips for me please? Even when you uses another city to take in your garbage, the game actually has capacity on neighbor's dump and it stops taking yours after its full.

Once you get your eduction up and running, try the recycling centre. The more educated your sims, the more they will recycle and the recycle centre can produce alloy, metal an plastic that can be used as inputs for manufacturing (ie at the processor plant) or can be sold on the global market. I noted a drop of in general waste once I got the thing started, the recycle centre does us a lot of space though.

It would be nice if they had an "advanced" incinerator that burned more garbage while producing less pollution per ton of garbage burned, but would have to be unlocked by a University research project, just like the "clean coal/oil" and other advanced power station generators.

It would be nice if they had an "advanced" incinerator that burned more garbage while producing less pollution per ton of garbage burned, but would have to be unlocked by a University research project, just like the "clean coal/oil" and other advanced power station generators.

Yes.. that will be really nice, destroying garbage permanently without causing air or ground pollution.

Once you get your eduction up and running, try the recycling centre. The more educated your sims, the more they will recycle and the recycle centre can produce alloy, metal an plastic that can be used as inputs for manufacturing (ie at the processor plant) or can be sold on the global market. I noted a drop of in general waste once I got the thing started, the recycle centre does us a lot of space though.

Yes i know stuffs can be recycled.. but does recycling plant completely removes garbage? I still need garbage dump or my city becomes a dump

No recycling centre doesn't replace the garbage dump (it has a warning about it also). 

However, when you put a recycling centre, fully upgraded with a full upgraded depot near to it, the general garbage going to fell by around 90%

Use a burner, and get rid of it. After all in 120k city, it takes around 4-5 days to fill up the dump, and 1 day to burn it. So no such an issue on permanent pollution. (build it on position that the wind gets it away from the city). 

Yes.. that will be really nice, destroying garbage permanently without causing air or ground pollution.

No, I didn't mean burn it with zero pollution--I meant that it might produce maybe only half as much pollution as the regular incinerators, sort of like how the "clean coal" power generator produces only half as much pollution as the regular coal power generator.

No the recycling centre does not replace a garbage dump, but it can greatly reduce the amount of garbage sent to it - at least in my experience.

I use the incinerator.  It causes air pollution, but when placed with the wind direction in mind, I haven't had any troubles with it.  I usually start burning as soon as I have enough money to buy.  The dumps take up too much precious land space.  As the other commenters have said, the recycling center also works great... when you can get it to work!

Garbage dump is very important for water.  I keep a garbage dump incinerating the trash, with a cheap dump pump surrounded by water filtration.  Keeps the ground filthy and full of poop to turn into water.  My 400k city has tons of water and it will never run out. 

Good info on the recycling center, didn't know it reduced the garbage which I desperately need because traffic is so bad in a 400k city (and growing :/) that they can't pick everything up on "GARBAGE DAY!!!!  *BANG*  UAAAAAHHHHHH!"

what I can do? I have a recycling centre fully upgraded with all possibly trucks and its getting just 8.235 cans of trash out 42k. the freaking trash accumulated is polluting the ground and I dont know what to do anymore. can someone help me?

Most likely your trucks are stuck in traffic. You will have to either extensively restructure your city to reduce overall traffic, or else wait for the pathfinding patch (hopefully within the next week or two).

I have been trying to setup a "industrial city" that sends garbage trucks out to other cities and accepts sewage imports but for some reason it shows I am making $0 off of the garbage deals... anyone else having this problem?

Has any of you had the recycling center bug?  When the storage reach 20/20, the plant will stop processing all together.  The only way to combat this is to demolish the building and rebuild a new one.

​Note: it doesn't matter if you have multiple recycling centers, as soon as one of them gets it, you need to demolish all of them.

Anyone know a fix for this as I had this happen to my city three times yesterday and I have 2 recycling centers

At first I place a couple of dump zones, then incinerator. I cant quite understand why there is no turning dump into power in these eco times, well I do understand... its gonna cost me 5$ :ohyes:

Had some bad encounters with recycling centers (stops working), and what when they on their own visit a city and spread their recycle mission, and the city is not ready to invest in recycling. Sending resycle trucks to another city has a high risk of it starting to bug.

For fix, some says it helps calling home any trucks you have sent to another city. Others say demolish. More details here http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Issues/bd-p/sim-city-misc-issues

While recycling reduces the amount of trash, its another resource to pick up.

I have a slum where I said all my waste to to be incinerated, although since I added a recycling centre, the amount of rubbish being sent out has decreased

Has any of you had the recycling center bug?  When the storage reach 20/20, the plant will stop processing all together.  The only way to combat this is to demolish the building and rebuild a new one.

​Note: it doesn't matter if you have multiple recycling centers, as soon as one of them gets it, you need to demolish all of them.

Anyone know a fix for this as I had this happen to my city three times yesterday and I have 2 recycling centers

Just to be clear- you do have a trade depot with the appropriate recycling lots, right? If not, then that will always happen to you and it's not a bug.

I have had issues with my recycling backing up but it's entirely due to traffic, so I am hoping once the traffic is fixed that things should go more smoothly.

Yep I had the same problem with the recycling center, but finally realised after watching some videos on YouTube that I'm actually supposed to do something and build a trade depot to get rid of it. It took a while for it to kick in, but it started working.

Just to be clear- you do have a trade depot with the appropriate recycling lots, right? If not, then that will always happen to you and it's not a bug.

I have had issues with my recycling backing up but it's entirely due to traffic, so I am hoping once the traffic is fixed that things should go more smoothly.

Hi there,

yes I got dedicated depot to store plastic and alloy for my processor factory.  This happen again today so far 2 times and it seems as tho it happen after I zoom out to neighboring city.  I will stop sending my trucks to neighboring city and see if that help.  Also, for each of my recycling centre I setup full amount of delivery trucks I think that is 6, and only 4 collection trucks to try slow down the bug.