Sign in to follow this  
Freeseus

Nuclear power plant / water bug?

At some point, wind power ceases to be realistic for a city... at which point, nuclear looks like it might be a good idea.

However, if you use nuclear power, after a while, your water supply will dry up. I have 2 separate water pumps, sewage filtration and none of that helps.

If you play long enough with a nuclear power plant, your entire map will run out of water (if you can afford placing water pumps all across the map and then letting them dry up).

This can't possibly be a design decision right? Has ANYONE figured out a solution to this? I've been able to dry up huge sections of water that originally supplied 1500+

There is a bug where proximity to rivers does NOT result in infinite water tables. Also, beware that Nuclear Power Plants melt down if they don't have water or educated workers.

Hopefully I helped,

--Ocram

Yeah, the water pumps are located right on the edge of a river / ocean.

This seems like a very major bug here... I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. Is there really an alternative to using nuclear power for a large scale city? Does the solar panel project provide infinite electricity?

I don't think it has anything to do with the Nuclear Power Plant. The game just doesn't rain enough to refill the water tables, I played a city for 10 yeas and it only rained once. I had a Alien Attack more often than  it rained, fun sim game huh.

I found that sewage treatment plants seem to replenish the water table. If you place your water pumps next to sewage treatment plants then you will have an infinite water source, as long as you properly balance the amount of water you're pumping vs sewage you're treating. One water pump for every two sewage treatment tanks seems to be working pretty well in my city.

I found that sewage treatment plants seem to replenish the water table. If you place your water pumps next to sewage treatment plants then you will have an infinite water source, as long as you properly balance the amount of water you're pumping vs sewage you're treating. One water pump for every two sewage treatment tanks seems to be working pretty well in my city.

Are you using the filter pumps or just the regular pumps?  Wouldnt you be running a risk of contamination if you accidentally had a sewage overflow?

Great tip, disgusting idea, but really great tip.

Are you using the filter pumps or just the regular pumps?  Wouldnt you be running a risk of contamination if you accidentally had a sewage overflow?

I'm not using any filtration pumps, just the treatment tanks. As long as you don't overflow then you will not generate any ground pollution and your sims won't be the wiser. If you do overflow... well... that's just nasty.