Sign in to follow this  
Trekker4747

NAM Problem

I'm having a problem with the latest version of NAM's companion program "Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool."  I didn't have this problem with a previous version and just recently upgraded.   TSCT Version: 1.3.3 (1715), Simulator Version 2.4.1.

When I installed the upgrade it auto-ran and I made the changes I wanted to made, saved, and exited the program and then ran SC4.  Well, some of the changes I made were... extreme.

I charge Sims to drive on tiles of roads/rails rationalizing it as akin to a "personal property/licensing tax" on vehicles.  Anyway, in old TSCT I had these figures set at a fraction of a cent.  When I re-entered the values I mis-entered my figures by a factor of 10-100. Instead of charging fractions of a cent I was charging whole cents.  City income skyrocketed well over city expenditures. Too much.  So I exit Sim City, go back into TSCT to fix things and when I go to save I get an error dialogue box telling me I cannot save because Sim City 4 is currently running.

It is not. 

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Sometimes you have to wait a minute or two (or more) after closing out of an application before all of its processes shut down completely.  Mozilla Firefox is infamous for this:

firefox-not-responding.gif

Windows Task Manager.

Open that up (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and see if SC4 is still running. It's possible that it may simply be "stuck" running.

ElzmWOF.jpg

If it is, right-click and click "End Process". This method of closing a stubborn program is universal for all Windows programs, and is also tied into the "Set Priority to High" trick of (supposedly) reducing lag in a program.

Well I get the same thing also and I did as you said Ganaram but it's not running and it's still telling me it can't delete the file either.

Same here, checking background processes is one of the first things I did and still got the messages.  Also waited a few minutes for things to "settle down" and for everything to get on the same page. Still get the error message.

Well I even went ahead and turn off my computer and did a cold boot. After turning it back on, I tried out the TSCT and it still wouldn't let me change anything. So, I had to re-install the NAM again to get to the TSCT. So I could put in what I wanted to change. that is the only way it works for me now, sadly. I think I might have to go back to Nam 30 & RWH 5.0. I have them burned to a disc for safe keeping thank goodness.

Well, good thing I'm the only user of my computer, then, and thus an Administrator. 

Ok, apparently you have to run it as a FULL Administrator, which is sort of dumb.  So I found a way to unlock the (usually hidden) Administrator option, get into NAM and make the changes which it allowed to take hold.

What a crock. Is there not a way to do this under a regular account with Administrator privileges? 

Oh, with the current NAM, I believe that you have to run everything as an Administrator.

Tried that too but it still doesn't work for me. Oh well.............

You have to unlock the full Administrator profile, which is normally hidden.

Open the Start Menu and type "cmd" into the search box (don't press enter.)

The CMD program icon will appear, right-click on this and select "run as administrator,"

type this:

net user administrator /active:yes

at the c-prompt and hit enter.

You should get a message that says the command completed successfully.

Close the command prompt and log out of your current profile and there should now be a new Administrator user in the log-in screen (or available to use if you're using classic view.)

Right now it's not password protected, click on it and a new desktop should appear.  This one is going to be similar to how it was when you first ran Windows or a new account.  Find the NAM/TSCT program in the Start Menu and should now be able to make the changes take hold.  Interestingly, it's possible to right-click on the program icon and give specific permissions to user-accounts but this doesn't seem to work.

Go ahead and go into Account Settings and password protect the Administrator account.  There's almost no reason you should ever need to be in this account and you certainly shouldn't spend any meaningful time in it and you MOST certainly shouldn't websurf on it. It actually allows changes to be made to the computer without the UA controls, warning prompts or any other of the "protections" Windows has to prevent you from screwing things up.  Passowrd protect it and only use if you need to make changes to TSCT or in those extreme cases where you try doing something and you get the "must be an administrator" prompt. (It's happened to me before plenty of times before learning about this hidden account I had no idea what it meant.)

Really, after making the changes in TSCT you should probably re-deactivate this account (":/active:no" in the above instructions) but there is some degree of "use" here even if you don't go into TSCT very often.  Just never, ever, really use this account unless you really have to in order to make a change and even then make sure you know for sure on the changes you're making and what you're doing.  Seriously, there's no safe guards here so messing around too much would be like opening the hood of your car and just mixing all of the wires around to see what will happen.

This is what I did and got it to make the changes in Windows Vista (can't speak for later versions of Windows.)

Good grief what a kludge.  I suspect the TSCT implementers left it set up as a ring 0 program.  That's about the only thing that requires this kind of override.  Unless TSCT needs to enter supervisor state, it should not be so marked.  Windows security is such a nightmare.

Thank you Trekker4747!! That actually did the trick!!! I am gonna save that in my notes so I will remember it if I ever have to do it again. It works for Windows 7, which is what I have.

Thank you Trekker4747!! That actually did the trick!!! I am gonna save that in my notes so I will remember it if I ever have to do it again. It works for Windows 7, which is what I have.

Well Windows 7 is really called "Windows: Shhh, Don't Tell Anyone I'm Really Vista, Got Kind of a Bad-Rap There" so makes sense it work there as well. It's really a very, very, odd thing since -as I said- this account is usually hidden and there is ZERO reason to ever need it unless you're a super-user confident in everything you do on-line and in Windows or if you're using the computer as a "server' of sorts for a bunch of "dumb terminals" for user accounts.  Certainly little reason why your average user would need the "true" Administrator account activated to operate NAM/TSCT so very likely it is, indeed, a programming bug. 

I just wanted to throw my two cents since I just suffered this irritation a moment ago. I am running Windows 8 and the above method does work.

I did have to alter how I accessed the command prompt as Windows 8 does not have the Start button that we are used to. I navigated to the command prompt in Explorer (C:\Windows\System32\cmd) and right-clicked on it to select "Run as Administrator".

My nickel's worth.

Windows 8 is just a newer version of Windows NT (remember that one?).  It is NT 6.2.  The base is NT 6.0 which I seem to remember as Vista.

Vista NT6.0 - a newer kernel, no wonder there was lots of trouble.

W 7  NT6.1 - stable

W 8  NT6.2 - much messing with the desktop and removed a few older features.

And they still are keeping that old kludge NTFS.  It still needs regular maintenance if you run with hard disks.

I had this exact same problem and followed all the instructions you all posted.  The admin account allowed me to make the "changes", but they are not changed in the game.  My sims still walk to work and wont drive!

Any ideas?

Changes do not take place instantly.  The simulator has to run long enough for the main pathfinder to kick in which is about every three to four Sim-months.

Everyone has probably found something that works for them by now but all I do is...

Go into the Documents plugin folder,

go to the Network Addon Mod folder and

delete the "NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z_xxx.dat" file

where xxx equals low, med, or high.

Then start up SC4 and the changes will be in effect.

For some reason the program doesn't seem to be replacing the old file but manual deletion works and is much easier than re-installing NAM.

Hope this helps someone.

edit:correct typo.

Everyone has probably found something that works for them by now but all I do is...

Go into the Documents plugin folder,

go to the Network Addon Mod folder and

delete the "NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_Z_xxx.dat" file

where xxx equals low, med, or high.

Then start up SC4 and the changes will be in effect.

For some reason the program doesn't seem to be replacing the old file but manual deletion works and is much easier than re-installing NAM.

Hope this helps someone.

edit:correct typo.

But wouldn't that totally delete the NAM's traffic simulator and revert back to Maxis' default traffic simulator? You'd still have to go and reinstall the NAM anyway to get its traffic sim back in its original form.

Yes, Compdude787, you are right it would cause the program to revert back to the Maxis default.

What I FORGOT to add is that you need to run the traffic simulator again. It will then deposit a new file in the folder.

My apologies for the omission and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

2016 bump - i'm having this same issue.  First time installing NAM ever, version 34, and I open TSCT, it loads the current settings, i make an adjustment and save, just to receive the error, "Error Deleting File(s)."  My version info is;  TSCT 1.3.5 (1725), Simulator Version 2.6.

But, if any of ya'll are still waiting for a "simpler solution" or for future readers....this is my solution.  Go to the location that TSCT was installed to, and right click on "TSCT.bat".  Use the Open With Option and choose Notepad.  You may have to run notepad manually, then just click and drag TSCT.bat into the notepad file.  I immediately hit "File / Save As" and saved it to my desktop instead, then edited it adding 1 line to the beginning so it reads;

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool"
start /min cmd /C "java -jar TSCT.jar || %windir%\SysWOW64\java -jar TSCT.jar"

If you used the standard install directory you can just copy and paste that.  If you changed the install directory, you'll have to point to the location you chose instead.  I've had no problems since.  I just right click on "my" batch file and Run As Admin, instead of trying to run the standard shortcut as admin which I deleted.