Sign in to follow this  
MOWS 4 U

Is it possible to build a self sustaining high wealth city of 300k people?

I've been playing this game constantly since the day it was released and I am beginning to doubt whether my goal is achievable.  What I want to do is build a self sustaining, high wealth city of 300k+ people with everything in the green (education, crime, etc.).  Right now I am struggling to keep crime and sickness under control and can't even begin to think about education.  What am I doing wrong?

What is your population at right now?  Electronics (making processors, and then turning them into TVs and computer) should give you enough money to sustain over 150k people then you just need to figure out the utilities and public servants.

Let crime happen.  Let people get sick.  Police stations and fire stations  and clinics raise the property values of nearby land, but they will bleed you dry.  Keep the lights on, the water flowing, and the sewage moving.  Know the direction of the wind.  The more pollution blown over the city the more germs.  Control your traffic.  On your main road transport out town keep that road as clear of intersections as you can.  Get your sims educated early so that you can skip past dirty industry as soon as possible, educated sims don't suffer as much as those who are not.  Anything below the Community Collage will educate, anything above that raises tech and educates  Recycle when you can, it's a money pot if done right.  That should get you close.

Let crime happen.  Let people get sick.  Police stations and fire stations  and clinics raise the property values of nearby land, but they will bleed you dry.  Keep the lights on, the water flowing, and the sewage moving.  Know the direction of the wind.  The more pollution blown over the city the more germs.  Control your traffic.  On your main road transport out town keep that road as clear of intersections as you can.  Get your sims educated early so that you can skip past dirty industry as soon as possible, educated sims don't suffer as much as those who are not.  Anything below the Community Collage will educate, anything above that raises tech and educates  Recycle when you can, it's a money pot if done right.  That should get you close.

But I've been getting like 35+ abandoned buildings regularly due to crime and people dying.  Can education stop this?

You need processor and consumer electronics factories for money, and high wealth tourism so your commerce doesnt go bust.

I've been playing this game constantly since the day it was released and I am beginning to doubt whether my goal is achievable.  What I want to do is build a self sustaining, high wealth city of 300k+ people with everything in the green (education, crime, etc.).  Right now I am struggling to keep crime and sickness under control and can't even begin to think about education.  What am I doing wrong?

Yes it is possible and rather quite easy.  That is, if all you are aiming for is the high population.  Don't build commercial.  Don't build industry.  Just build resedential.  Fill it with parks.  Fill it with some services to keep sims happy.  And...that's pretty much all you need.

Let me explain how this works.

There is a massive core game deisgn flaw in SimCity: commercial and industry is actually not required.  The parks will function as some sort of job for the Sims (at least that is the current theory) but the Sims don't actually commute to the Parks, making you completely traffic free!

Better yet since crimes are broken, building a resedential only city will ensure you are completely crime-free yet filled with a infinite amount of criminals!  You see, criminals only commit crime on commercial and industrial buildings, building a city without those garuentees that your crimials will just wonder around and not do anything!

w

Yes it is possible and rather quite easy.  That is, if all you are aiming for is the high population.  Don't build commercial.  Don't build industry.  Just build resedential.  Fill it with parks.  Fill it with some services to keep sims happy.  And...that's pretty much all you need.

There is a massive core game deisgn flaw in SimCity: commercial and industry is actually not required.  The parks will function as some sort of job for the Sims (at least that is the current theory) but the Sims don't actually commute to the Parks, making you completely traffic free!

Better yet since crimes are broken, building a resedential only city will ensure you are completely crime-free yet filled with a infinite amount of criminals!  You see, criminals only commit crime on commercial and industrial buildings, building a city without those garuentees that your crimials will just wonder around and not do anything!

This I have got to try ... will be back and let you know how it goes.

Jim

IMO this game is not meant for big populated cities. LAter on buildings you need are so big you need to bulldoze blocks at a time just for room. Then there is the horrid traffic AI and unbalanced RCI demand, and services bleed you dry quick, this game is a mess imo.

Whats the fun in doing this? Doesnt it defeat the purpose just using an exploit like that? I like mimicking and building a real life city, doing this just seems pointless and boring to me.

I've found that, after 200,000 water becomes so difficult to supply without bulldozing a lot of things.

I found another post that describes places a sewage treatment plant right next to a water plant, the sewage treatment actually produces water and keeps the supply going. Its worked so far!

I've found that, after 200,000 water becomes so difficult to supply without bulldozing a lot of things.

I found another post that describes places a sewage treatment plant right next to a water plant, the sewage treatment actually produces water and keeps the supply going. Its worked so far!

Yep same here.

But I've been getting like 35+ abandoned buildings regularly due to crime and people dying.  Can education stop this?

Education does 4 things outside of the obvious:

1. Lowers the chances a sim will become a criminal.

2. Lowers their chances of getting sick from germs.

3. Lowers their chances of getting injured.

4. Lowers their chances of starting a fire.

It isn't wrong to think of your educations (below community college) as a city-wide (albeit weaker) police coverage, fire coverage, and health coverage.  I've ran 250K+ cities on a small fire station with 3 firetrucks with good education.

I would venture a statement that education is the most important service outside of your basics-garbage, water, sewage, and power-and the effect will transfer over to cities connected to you reducing the chances of a criminal from another town causing a big mess.

I'm guessing it's not possible to do so for extended periods. I mean, I've had quite a few cities reach between 200k and 300k and, for a time, everything is fine. Then for some (or many) inexplicable reason(s) everything just turns to crap. All of a sudden, either people start leaving, factories close due to worker shortages, the water table starts drying up, or traffic congestion becomes extreme and insurmountable.

I don't know why it happens, but it always happens sooner or later.

I don't think its possible, my city was completely self-sufficient for years (meaning it didn't rely on neighbors for anything from water to police) but over-time after moving my water-pumping station three times because each pump dried up the water beneath it, I just gave up and gave my neighboring city a few hundred thousand dollars to build one large pumping-station for my city and that ended my tenure of being self-sufficient. Well my city wasn't completely wealthy either though although I always suspected the wealthy were the elite class, they werent. I don't see how my city had more poor than rich either considering most towers in my city were filled with rich people and I barely see any poor buildings aside from those behind my garbage dump.  8)

These were pretty much my city statistics, I really couldn't see where all the poor jobs were either. I think this game is very misleading on numbers.

Look at the wealth at the bottom right portion of the screen. Low wealth appears to be far larger than the high-income/wealth people, but looking at the city is a totally different picture. 

8578312569_8cdd7dc396_b.jpg

Looking at the employment numbers, poor jobs are largely the ones within city limits and yet again, I barely see any poor jobs in my city. Although there are no medium income jobs available, there is no demand for it but my city still gets plenty of construction for new medium income jobs.  8579417252_729a0901ac_b.jpg

The only area of my city that I really classify as poor is largely being gentrified because I took down every industrial zoned building in my city except three and a stadium is now in the city.

8578326889_10c4bdf842_b.jpg

Same area as above with the only cluster of poor buildings in the city, but now high and medium wealth jobs and residents now reside once where factories were.

8579428170_e7db391c5f_b.jpg

A fairly mid-wealth, high-wealth district (its the city's official financial district) where I don't see any poor jobs and just two poor buildings.

8578327169_08cc83a865_b.jpg

Yet another mid/high wealth district in my city, downtown, featuring no poor buildings nor jobs. 

8579427852_f81a02a34a_b.jpg

LOL, everyone already wants to know how I have grids. Mine naturally came with grids for some reason as I'm not able to turn them on and off, but others have told me that you press 'Alt' to turn it on and off. Try it and tell me how much luck you have with it, I get bored with the grids some times.