Sign in to follow this  
elektrichead22

Started a region to test all Res no C or I

after reading about people building all res cities with no consequence i tried it out on my own region.... its true I have three maps filled with res n no jobs.... was a boring experiment and I am very bumbed it worked. this deffinately needs to be patched.

Why does it needs to be patched, I like that you can create whatever you desire, you can always aim for realism if you want to or not. You doing this in sandbox mode?

I'm curious how high your population got and what your satisfaction rate was. I was building cities with only R and C but when reaching about 200k residents, people get poor and crimerate rises and satisfaction drops.

I think my problem comes from building C. It drains the people of money and makes them poor. If I delete them and build a couple of parks it would work just fine. This really sucks...

I found that sims were moving away due to lack of money. But when you bulldoze their houses, fresh sims with money will come to replace them. So, I had to keep bulldozing to keep the city afloat. Likewise, when your buildings upgrade in density or wealth new sims with money will move in. In this way it can take a long time before the city flounders.

I built one nearly all R with the specific purpose of getting them to travel between cities.  I've had limited success.  I like that I can build all R but they should leave the city and go to other towns more willingly for work and shopping.

I think that the *idea* behind this design was to permit radical specialization within each of the region's "districts" (I think this is more what they are, rather than cities, really) by not requiring them to be internally balanced.  The trouble is that, as has been pointed out in this thread, this doesn't really work, because the way regions are currently working it seems hard to manipulate sims into commuting between districts for work, shopping, tourism and so on in a reliable way, so what you end up with are districts that are largely independent and internally imbalanced at the same time.

I have found with the "all R" experiment I did that the most important factor was taxes.  If you keep the taxes low (say 6%), you can pretty much boost R demand in perpetuity, such that when sims move out, you can doze, and new developments will come along very quickly.  If you add parks and libraries and some services to the mix, higher wealth ones will come, too (they seem even more gooseable by taxes than the low income sims are).  Taxes seem to enable the player to goose demand to a very strong degree -- probably too strong.

I also found, however, that my districts that have been more internally balanced, to some degree, grew denser faster due to higher household happiness levels (more shopping, more jobs), and particularly attracted higher wealth sims faster and also more quickly into higher densities.  So it seems like this path is still "better" but that the other path is also "possible" if you want to build a low-service, low-wealth district.

I seem to remember that low-wealth residents would flock to your city in SC4 even if you only had one tile of industrial zoning - then they left in droves due to the lack of jobs. Is SC2013 so very different? You can pretty much zone all residential in both games, and in both cases you get a messed up city.

They won't leave in this game if you leave taxes low enough.  I mean, some will leave, but if you bulldoze, the land will redevelop and fill up again quickly due to the demand created by the low taxes.

I'm curious how high your population got and what your satisfaction rate was. I was building cities with only R and C but when reaching about 200k residents, people get poor and crimerate rises and satisfaction drops.

Hi,

I built an all R and C city, and got up to 400K sims, but then I experienced heavy traffic problems. Although I upgraded roads, put bus stops every where, used the street-car wherever I could, yet it did'nt help.

So now, because of the traffic problems, fire trucks do'nt get to fire on time (although the said they fixed this problem on the 1.7 patch), so I loose buildings, doze them, and new sims come over and build again. This scenario repeat itself, and my city moves between 390K to 405K sims.

I know that I have to solve the traffic problems, but yet, did not find how. 

Any ideas ?

I seem to remember that low-wealth residents would flock to your city in SC4 even if you only had one tile of industrial zoning - then they left in droves due to the lack of jobs. Is SC2013 so very different? You can pretty much zone all residential in both games, and in both cases you get a messed up city.

In SC4 the sims don't really care if there is jobs for them or not. They will come if you have demand for them, and in the beginning you always do. But after a while with no jobs they will leave again. Remember that public services also provide jobs.

However, that is very different from SC2013 where you can sustain a city with no jobs and grow a 200K city (30K city). In Sim City 4 you will have a hard time getting anything more than a 1000. 

Hi,

I built an all R and C city, and got up to 400K sims, but then I experienced heavy traffic problems. Although I upgraded roads, put bus stops every where, used the street-car wherever I could, yet it did'nt help.

So now, because of the traffic problems, fire trucks do'nt get to fire on time (although the said they fixed this problem on the 1.7 patch), so I loose buildings, doze them, and new sims come over and build again. This scenario repeat itself, and my city moves between 390K to 405K sims.

I know that I have to solve the traffic problems, but yet, did not find how. 

Any ideas ?

Bulldoze the Commercial areas and replace them with parks.