Sign in to follow this  
Ryguyrules147

No Difficuly?

I have SimCity 4 on a disk. Though it says on the back of the casing that there are difficulty settings, I see none when I start mayorship! In addition, there are only two tutorials, not the four it says on the casing. Is there something I need to do to get this?

Difficulty is set when you start a fresh tile. A small box whill prompt you to enter the name of the city and name of mayor. You should see the option to choose between 1/2/3 stars, that's difficulty. Once it's set you can't revert change it, unless you didn't save of course.

As for the tutorials, I don't know, never did them. Do you have the original SC4 or the Deluxe/Rush Hour version?

On the back of the case it says "New Tutorials and Difficulty Levels". Under that it says something about four tutorials and difficulty. When I start a city, it only asks me for a city and mayor name.

It only says SimCity 4, nothing else (no deluxe, etc).

Finally, it says that experience may change during online play. Do I need to connect to the Internet and play online?

I checked for tutorials, there are indeed 4 of them + 1 for landscape design. You probably don't have RH/Deluxe version then, which is a bummer since 99% (if not all) of the custom content is designed for RH/Deluxe. I strongly recommend you get the expansion/full version. You can find a DRM copy for cheap nowadays.

As for difficulty, here is a screenshot for you to see (sorry my game is in french):

diffnd.jpg

You can know for sure if you find the file SimCity 4.exe and hover over it with the mouse.  It will give you the version number.  If it is 2xx you have the original game only.  Should be two disks in any case.  Where did you get this?

I don't remember perfectly, but I think it was a gift that was originally purchased at Walmart.

I don't mind not having deluxe TOO much, but it says that I should have it on the back of the case.

I attached a picture of the front and back (horrible I know, I used by webcam)

It does in fact have two disks.

The readme file says

"Version: 1.0

Last Updated: 11-12-02"

post-614306-0-13959200-1363447440_thumb.

post-614306-0-60406400-1363447453_thumb.

That is the original SimCity 4 and it needs a patch that was published almost immediately after its release.  You can find it here.  To access this you might have to register at SC4Devotion.  Almost none of the custom content on any of the exchanges will run with this version.

If you want to get the fully updated, no disk required version, purchase the digital download SimCity 4 Deluxe from Amazon or GamersGate.

Your version did indeed come out in 2002.

Difficulty levels came with Rush Hour.  You really should consider either getting the Rush Hour extension pack or the digital download.

Well, it is quite simple.  You have a case card from the wrong game.  If you want difficulty levels you either have to get the Rush Hour expansion pack and two patches or download the digital version of deluxe from a vendor.  Recommend Amazon or Gamersgate.

No, no, no...

It's not the wrong case. Did you look at the pictures I attached a few posts ago? It says just SimCity 4 on the front, and on the back it says I get difficulty and four tutorials.

If I DID want to get Rush Hour/Deluxe, would I be able to purchase an add-on package for less?

All that I want to know is why it SAYS that I get difficulty levels when I DON'T.

That's a question we can't answer for you.  Sorry.  If it bothers you that much, contact EA and tell them of your situation.