Sign in to follow this  
TheWebRecluse

Completely Lost On Ore/Mining/Trade

Hey everyone. I've had great luck in this forum finding awesome and friendly players for my region so I thought I'd try posting a question I really can't seem to figure out.

It's possible I just don't understand how this system works ....

I have ORE in my region - quite a bit. I set up some 3 ore mines that have all four extensions. They're mining away :)

I have coal also and I have a coal mine going.

I setup 2 smelters to make METAL and ALLOY and that is working.

I setup a trade depot and added some storage and set everything to export - added the max 4 trucks.

I do notice my depot filling up and I am getting some income from sales.

But the cost of my specialization is huge - like 6k an hour - and the profit is really minimal - maybe 2k

Am I missing something and I just don't understand how this works?

In fact it seems now - according to my budget - I am making NO money per hour even though things are selling.

I even have a trade depot attached to heavy rail and I am shipping out things that way but I am making a few grand maybe?

I am pretty lost here and my city is hemmoraging money ... I'll be pretty broke soon.

I think I will have to give up on this city but I managed to get further than I ever have before. 75k people.

I just would like to know what I am missing for next time so maybe I can improve on my mistakes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Elaine

Just close the mines and refinerys down untill u figure it out, that way yor city doesn't go broke, Other than that, I have no idea, I haven't Tryed any specialitys yet

You would import plastic (its really cheap) to manufacture Processor Chips and then use more alloy, plastic and your processor chips to make TVs. One stack of TVs sell for 197k.

He also said he was making alloys, which are quite profitable.

First, close the coal mines(you can just import it, way cheaper).

2nd, the train export depot extension is a total waste. The stupid trucks still export goods anyways so there is little to no point in using the train.

Are you saying you're losing money hourly(that will happen regardless since specialties are expensive to run), but you should be making tons monthly. Also, make sure you don't export both metals and alloys(no point really).

Oh, and trade depots. The global market trucks send a truck to take your stuff right? Well, they only take 1 material at a time. So if the depot is set to export 2 or 3 different things, it's hit and miss as to which ones get sold each time. Make more than 1 depot and set each one to sell a single item.

Btw, If you want to make electronics, you can always make the alloys and import the plastics.

So is there no point in maxing out delivery trucks on your trade depots since the global market is sending a truck your way to pick up the materials?

He also said he was making alloys, which are quite profitable.

First, close the coal mines(you can just import it, way cheaper).

2nd, the train export depot extension is a total waste. The stupid trucks still export goods anyways so there is little to no point in using the train.

Are you saying you're losing money hourly(that will happen regardless since specialties are expensive to run), but you should be making tons monthly. Also, make sure you don't export both metals and alloys(no point really).

Oh, and trade depots. The global market trucks send a truck to take your stuff right? Well, they only take 1 material at a time. So if the depot is set to export 2 or 3 different things, it's hit and miss as to which ones get sold each time. Make more than 1 depot and set each one to sell a single item.

Btw, If you want to make electronics, you can always make the alloys and import the plastics.

I still haven't really figured out all the stupid trucks. Ideally, I'd want the trade depots/ports to only do what they're told. I have 1 importing raw ore, 1 importing coal, 1 importing plastic. Then I have smelting factories and processor factories. I have a train freight depot set to export processors. But stupid global delivery trucks keep picking up crap from the train station...really annoying.