• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
oppie

SimCityPak - Modding Tool

622 posts in this topic

There's a bit more work to be done, but I have completed my initial implementation of PropertyListFile for SC5's prop files, I think it massively improves on the code I originally wrote for Spore. There's still some variants to be implemented but all of the ones currently used by SC5 prop files are implemented.

PropertyListFile.cs
VariantFlags.cs
VariantType.cs
Variants/

There's also some support for new things (see String8 type's obfuscation flag).

There is also an associated tool PropConvert on my repo too, but its support for variant types is less than PropertyListFile and I'm still working on it.

http://pastie.org/private/bjvdzcrpunuqvpaqyzl3pw

His Divine Hand likes this

Hey I just wanted to jump on and thank you all for the great work you have been doing. I really dont have the skills to help out but I really appreciate all the time and effort you have all put into this so far.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but just like the other various "SimCity Connoisseur's" who posted in this thread before me, Thanks for all the Hard Work and Time Invested.

This game is getting ripped apart in most message boards across the net due to bugs, errors, and EA's seemingly "Ignore the problem" attitude. Glad to see a dedicated group of programmers working together for the greater good of the Simcity community, I honestly feel that this thread should be stickied.

I know this seems cliche, but you guys should consider opening up a donation site. I wouldn't mind contributing some extra funds for some much needed redbulls/mental fuel. 

Regards,

- Sebastian, longtime Simcity 4 player.

There is a small issue when editing a file in the built in text box, when you go to paste multi line it just takes the first item or even less. Thanks for the tool as a whole, it has definitely enhanced my simcity experience.

For the past few days I've been digging into the deepest depths of the property files, mainly to see what the possiblilties for modding are. A lot of files are pretty easy to identify, and there are already a few interesting possibilities just by messing around with the menu items;

Starting with quite a biggie; It's possible to make every single network type drawable outside the city borders. I modded the debug item for the regional highway to draw a different network (in this case the low density street) and lo, I was able to draw streets outside the city limits - and they transported cars, water and electricity just like you'd expect. Contrary to the regional highway, I could even bulldoze them. However - not only can you not build anything on them outside the city, they also don't terraform the land around them, so it's almost impossible to make very good use of.

Secondly, you can easily swap around modules for different buildings. I made the shuttle bus garage available for the larger bus terminal, and everything worked perfectly - it sent out shuttle buses and normal buses just fine. You can also quite easily modify their placement - like making them buildable on the side of a road.

I've tried finding how the game decides the limits for the amount of modules (I'd love to remove those limits, why not have more than 4 cell blocks), but so far I haven't even found a trace of those values. In the same way, construction cost, maintenance cost or anything else that could make 'cheating' possible seems to be hidden.

@Oppie: Any ETA about the possibility to export/import meshes from packages and use them in 3ds Max?

By the way, Great work!

@Oppie: Any ETA about the possibility to export/import meshes from packages and use them in 3ds Max?

By the way, Great work!

3D model editing is still a long way away. I've looked into the RW4 model files many times, but it'll take someone smarter than me to figure those out. Replacing textures might be possible soon-ish, though.

By the way, Great work!

3D model editing is still a long way away. I've looked into the RW4 model files many times, but it'll take someone smarter than me to figure those out. Replacing textures might be possible soon-ish, though.

Trust in yourself. You're enough smarter to publish a mod tool. ;)

WarmRegards likes this

Anyone need a 3D modeler by any chance? I'd love to get my hands dirty building some....buildings. I've been working with 3DS Max since 2009 as well as Maya.

If anyone is interested in a project, give me a shout. Just throwing it out there.

OT: I'd have to say that this is some great progress so far. Keep it up guys, I can't wait until this modding scene explodes.

Is there any chance of you adding in editing of the RUL type (typeid 0x08068aec)?

I doubt editing that will do much good, as there are compiled versions of the RULs which still need to be fully decoded. I would be quite surprised if the game used the raw RULs rather than the compiled ones.

Is the data for the origin exclusive park, the pre order/digital deluxe exclusive hero and villain buildings, and the euro buildings in a normal simcity there? Could this tool add them to the menus in a game without them? Of course this would be a fine line to be treading. The plumbob park would be the only one that might not get the modder of it that distributes it in legal trouble.

Is the data for the origin exclusive park, the pre order/digital deluxe exclusive hero and villain buildings, and the euro buildings in a normal simcity there? Could this tool add them to the menus in a game without them? Of course this would be a fine line to be treading. The plumbob park would be the only one that might not get the modder of it that distributes it in legal trouble.

Not going to happen as this would be illegal. Like I've stated before, I'm also not going to work on a "offline mode" or anything else that might promote piracy. As much as I disagree with some of the decisions Maxis and EA have made with the new game, I do respect their copyright/intellectual property and as a modder I'd rather work with them than against them.

For the past few days I've been digging into the deepest depths of the property files, mainly to see what the possiblilties for modding are. A lot of files are pretty easy to identify, and there are already a few interesting possibilities just by messing around with the menu items;

Starting with quite a biggie; It's possible to make every single network type drawable outside the city borders. I modded the debug item for the regional highway to draw a different network (in this case the low density street) and lo, I was able to draw streets outside the city limits - and they transported cars, water and electricity just like you'd expect. Contrary to the regional highway, I could even bulldoze them. However - not only can you not build anything on them outside the city, they also don't terraform the land around them, so it's almost impossible to make very good use of.

Secondly, you can easily swap around modules for different buildings. I made the shuttle bus garage available for the larger bus terminal, and everything worked perfectly - it sent out shuttle buses and normal buses just fine. You can also quite easily modify their placement - like making them buildable on the side of a road.

I've tried finding how the game decides the limits for the amount of modules (I'd love to remove those limits, why not have more than 4 cell blocks), but so far I haven't even found a trace of those values. In the same way, construction cost, maintenance cost or anything else that could make 'cheating' possible seems to be hidden.

I can't find any files for the menu when editing a building. The extension parts all have the same parent menu id, but no menu actually exists with that id?

I can't find any files for the menu when editing a building. The extension parts all have the same parent menu id, but no menu actually exists with that id?

The instance points to a unique index that contains a key property that links to a (non-existant) javascript. I haven't found how the unit then links back to this submenu.

Please don't call that format "RUL". The source format (0x08068AEC) has an extension of .er2 (confirmed in DLC scripts that got left in on accident), the binary format (0x08068AEB) I've given an extension of .er2bin. "RUL" is undescriptive/inaccurate.

His Divine Hand likes this

Please don't call that format "RUL". The source format (0x08068AEC) has an extension of .er2 (confirmed in DLC scripts that got left in on accident), the binary format (0x08068AEB) I've given an extension of .er2bin. "RUL" is undescriptive/inaccurate.

My apologies, I was going by the labeling in the tool. 

My apologies, I was going by the labeling in the tool. 

I was directing that to whoever made that choice. ;)

My apologies, I was going by the labeling in the tool. 

I was directing that to whoever made that choice. ;)

I think that may have been me, I was going on RULs from SC4. Sorry :)

I've been digging around the package files for the last few days and I finally found out where the game gets some of the data that I thought was missing from the .package files - it's actually in the _scripts packages that are in the SimCityUserData\EcoGame\ folder. Using these files, I've been able to edit such things as bus capacity, unit construction cost or even train composition. The bad news is that it only works if I modify the file directly - you can't just extract one index, put it in a seperate .package file and have it work, or at least, I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

Also, I've been working on getting texture replacements to work but that code is really above my level. I've managed to replace the texture section with an imported one, but I can't get the resulting RW4model to save back into a byte array again. If anyone wants to have a look at it, it's in the RW4Model.Write() method which I'm calling from the ViewRW4File.xaml.cs file.

I've been digging around the package files for the last few days and I finally found out where the game gets some of the data that I thought was missing from the .package files - it's actually in the _scripts packages that are in the SimCityUserData\EcoGame\ folder. Using these files, I've been able to edit such things as bus capacity, unit construction cost or even train composition. The bad news is that it only works if I modify the file directly - you can't just extract one index, put it in a seperate .package file and have it work, or at least, I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

Sweet :) 

Is that the rules (or er2 etc) or the PROP files? Where did you put the package with the extracted file in, the EcoGame file or the SimCityData like other mods?

Is that the rules (or er2 etc) or the PROP files? Where did you put the package with the extracted file in, the EcoGame file or the SimCityData like other mods?

It's the property files - I tried putting the extracted files in many locations, but the only thing that worked was creating a backup of the original file and then saving the modified file over the original one. And strangely enough,any extracted files you add to the EcoGame folder (with a filename the game won't recognize I guess) will be deleted by the game.
EarnestErnest likes this

It's the property files - I tried putting the extracted files in many locations, but the only thing that worked was creating a backup of the original file and then saving the modified file over the original one. And strangely enough,any extracted files you add to the EcoGame folder (with a filename the game won't recognize I guess) will be deleted by the game.

This makes somewhat sense as it would prevent cheating for challenges and stuff. I think it's going to be waiting for Maxis to either built in a check if all the original files are loaded into the game (making you elligable for a challenge) or if you have a modified version where you can't particpate in the leaderboards and stuff. At least it can be modded, but just a bit less easy. In the worst case really someone needs to write a tool to easily put the files into the package file so they don't need to download a huge amount. 

EarnestErnest likes this

Just want to say thank you for the great work on this tool the community really needs this. :)