Sign in to follow this  
fdjw0808

Commute Time and Graphics

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

How's going simcity lovers, I have two questions regarding game play.

COMMUTE

Right now I have several cities in the regional map, and they are all right next to one another (because I want to boost the demand in one city). Currently, my layout is working, because many citizens who live in the neighboring cities are commuting to the city which located at the center, however, I have encounter some commute problems.

There are many rich people living in my neighboring cities, and they tend to drive, which increase the traffic volume in the city which they work, knowing that, I place bus stops every two blocks, and right now I had added a subway network. To my surprise, most of the rich people still have medium-long commute time, given that most of the mid income and low income have short commute time. When I click on the wealthy residents, I find out most of the residents still choose to drive, while most of my mid and low income residents choose to ride buses and subways. In many occasions, the bus stops are right across the street, however the rich residents still choose to drive instead of crossing the street and take the bus, not until I placed the bus stops right in front of their door steps, they finally choose to take the buses. Is this the game's setting that the rich will drive no matter what? Because it seems it's very hard to get them to take the buses and subways.

GRAPHIC

I bought my computer a year ago with a 24 inch screen, I have a decent configuration, I'm wondering are there any programs or mods that improves the graphic quality of the game?

Thanks a lot

COMMUTE :

Indeed, rich people won't go to their working places using mass transit except if the condition force them to do so. Rich peoples love their car more than busses and trains. You can't easily make them using mass transit. As I said before, they won't use any mass transit unless they are forced to do so.

GRAPHIC :

Many mods can do such thing. They change the texture of the land, water, cliffs, and beach become more realistic.

There always at least one mod for everything, except if that thing is hardcoded.

Some water mods :

Drunken Water mod no 3 :

Drunken water mod, blue and grey :

Drunken water mod, no 1 :

Eastwinn's Light blue water mod :

Joerg's water mod :

SMP Blue water mod :

marsh's water mod :

Some beach mods :

SMP Black sand beach mod :

White gravel beach mod :

Riverside beach mod :

Sandy beach mod :

There also still many mods which not listed here, you can search for them use the search tool.

If you're interested, you can see this part of BSC : http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_lotsearch.php?pNO=0&sCAT=32&CATSEARCH=Category (you must login/register first)

COMMUTE :

Indeed, rich people won't go to their working places using mass transit except if the condition force them to do so. Rich peoples love their car more than busses and trains. You can't easily make them using mass transit. As I said before, they won't use any mass transit unless they are forced to do so.

This is all incorrect, whether or not you are using the NAM. The different wealth levels simply have different preferences for type of transport. However, these are only preferences, not requirements, and they are relatively minor at that. They effectively add a small time penalty for using the non-preferred type of transit. But if a subway or other form of mass transit is faster than car travel by more than this small time penalty, then even Sims who normally prefer cars will use the mass transit. The only place where this preference is really visible is in bus vs. car traffic, since their speeds are so similar. In this case, the preference of R$$$ for cars will generally keep them away from buses.

Please read to understand the details of how this really works. Also note that the built-in preferences can be changed for users of the NAM traffic simulator by means of the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool.

WRT graphics: If you are not using the custom resolution option on your start up, try adding this:

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32

Puts my 24" screen into 1080p

fdjw0808    11
  • Original Poster
  • WRT graphics: If you are not using the custom resolution option on your start up, try adding this:

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32

Puts my 24" screen into 1080p

Hey moose thanks a lot for the reply, last time you also told me the update to download for my simcity, so i did what you told me, and is there a way to check whether my simcity is successfully updated? because right now when i open game property, it still shows the game is in old version.

If you are fully updated, you will be showing either 1,1,640 or 1,1,641. The former is the disk version, the latter the disk download. Make sure you really are looking at the file Simcity 4.exe