Sign in to follow this  
Framling

Pedestrianized urban areas - pedestrians crossing streets, residential tiles with no road access

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have returned to playing SC4K after quite some time off and I started toying with the old idea of mine of making largely pedestrianized cities with bus rapid transit serving as the major/only means for longer journeys. This was inspired by some exploration of how such systems work in some cities with intelligent urban planning that I've enjoyed during my recent travels (see, I even make my travel plans according to how can I develop my SimCities!)

Using pedmalls, HOV lane markings and bus blocking tiles, I have reached really great results here, seems like the Maxis simulators really do reflect the reality quite well. People walk to wherever they can, take the buses etc. They even walk far longer than they should, but then given that pedmalls are the size of the house ;) I guess they also bike around.

I have two small issues tho, which are more visual in nature than anything else:

1. Pedestrian crossings - unless I am mistaken, my pedestrians won't cross streets. They will go to a street through a pedmall. They will follow the street. But they won't cross the street perpendicularly to the traffic to continue on a pedmall on the other side of the street. More specifically, they also seem unable to cross a road tile with a road-top bus stop on tip. This makes me use the pedbridge tiles that come default in the pedmall tile menu, but those are, with all due respect, quite unsightly for the low-rise, low-density residential environments I am developing. If pathing works for those, I was wondering if there was a pedestrian crossing tile that works the same, but is essentially flat?
  2. Residential tiles requiring road access - to most of you this is "d'oh", but I have only now "discovered" that while for commercial tiles a pedmall in front of it is enough for it to be "connected", for a residential tile it isn't so, they do need at least a street adjoining from any direction. This does work well with rowhousing with parking in the rear, where the entrance faces the pedmall and the back with parking adjoins the street (even if the fences that pop out make little sense), but I could certainly up the density (and balance out the gigantic pedmall tiles) if I could get rid of the extra tile of network per residential tile. Any way around it?

I guess I might not be the first person to raise those issues, so there either is a nice mod or set of plugins to alleviate those, or they were discovered to be impossible to overcome, but I am too daft to find any trace of those.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pedestrians won't jaywalk. They'll only cross streets at intersections. However, I know you can find some pedestrian crossing bridges on the STEX. What I don't know is if they're functional. It's worth checking out though.

But residential zones always requires road access. This is hard coded into the game and can't be changed.

Framling    1
  • Original Poster
  • Fatherted, you're my hero! Please tell me you will make them work with Euro street skins and sandstone textures :D

How about waiving the "street connection requirement" for houses tho, y'all?

NAM's ped-mall tiles are technically "roads", only they don't provide car access.

Did you connect the ped-malls at the residential end to a mass-transit station?

Framling    1
  • Original Poster
  • All my pedmalls connect to roadtop bus stations at some point, most of them are running perpendicularly to a road on which the roadtop bus stops are placed. The PedMall tiles are ostensibly insufficiently "road" for the simulator, as when the residential tile is only connected to the network with pedmalls and no roads/streets, it gets a "no car" zot.

Residential buildings need the option to take a car, you cannot force sims to always use public transport, because High Wealth especially has a bias towards cars. If they don't find that car route, they throw a tantrum and leave. Low Wealth will generally work well since they don't have any bias towards cars, just towards public transport and whatever's fastest, but they still need access to things using a car.

You can trick it though into trying to use it and failing, defaulting to pedestrian anyway.

Normally, simply a network tile with a car path on it is sufficient to provide the car 'option', but the pedmall tiles don't provide car paths for obvious reasons.

Lately I've found pedmalls to be very handy for things like little commercial malls where I would otherwise have built parks or just planted trees. When zoning only two tiles deep with my 2 x 1 lots, I find I sometimes have an area that is five tile wide. So I put 2 x 1 residential on the outside of this, a set of 2 x 1 C on the inside backing them and a ped mall in the middle. Makes a nice mid-town residential/commercial block.