Sign in to follow this  
ReshiramLover

your search sucks

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I searched 'garbage' to find a building to handle large amounts of garbage in my city, I HAD to go though 20 PAGES of unrelated fancy dancy buildings and stuff before even coming up with anything remotely related!!! 10 more pages to find something that actually suited my needs!!! this isn't the first time I had this issue with your search bringing up bad results!!! I think the webmasters need to improve the search better!!!

Did you include different words in your search? Such as "trash"...or "incinerator'...or "garbage removal"...??

Try those. I just did, and they returned results that were a lot more relevant to what you're probably looking for.

And BTW....cheer up!

The servers have been going through some pretty rigorous upgrades as of late, and I've noticed the search has been a little wonky for both the STEX and the forums.

Give em a bit of time and they should back to normal.

First of all, your choice of words is a very poor one. Saying that something sucks is a quite rough way to mock things, and we don't want that here on this site. Be constructive, be civil, don't just bash something...

Now, Dirk and the administrators team are already working on this issue. The site is getting more stable lately (AKA less time-outs, which was really annoying over the past few months since September) and they are still ironing out things. There was a time that the STEX search even wasn't there or worked even less properly.

Don't like our search here? Try Google or Bing or any other search engine instead.

Best,

Maarten

The search on ST has not been the best around and it is like that since yeeeeeaaaaars. Let me tell you that Google search is way better concerning searching for simcity stuff, not only does it bring up the things on ST but also on all other SC sites.

Try it and you won't bother with the ST seach anymore. ;)

Just type SC4, simcity4 or simply simcity in front of the garbage. You'll get dozens of pages, not including the things you are NOT looking for. ;)

Besides it will keep you happy with a smile :)

mrb

Her is a link you might like (found with google)

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=List_of_Utilities_Plugins

Apart from your choice of wording sucking, you need to understand that most software only handle simple word searches - i.e. no algorithms like search engines can afford to build. That means the software only understand that your query is garbage, and lists results according to a predefined set of variables, for instance last added, "most relevant" (yeah, right), headline only, etc.

If you're absolutely clueless about what to download, you can learn the site: command in Google. Include a few specific words commonly found on the exchange pages, and you come a long way - and it's easier to narrow down the search.

It's really unfortunate that while the site is consistently updated, with nice or flashy features, many aspects concerning its functionality are consistently... neglected:

- The search feature often does not work or does not deliver results (at least with some options).

- Would a "Show new replies to my posts" operation be too hard to implement?

- Also the STEX lacks a "Show last comments to my uploads" feature. This is a missing feature, as members post their comments (or ask questions) and expect a reply, while they don't know that you have no means of viewing their comments (unless you check all your uploads one by one, but that's not practical), neither that you are not notified.

To me the above are much more essential than an interface update.

The search has never been satisfactory for me at this site either. But it's so easy to just use Google to search the STEX. It's hardly even worth improving the search since it will never match Google's extensively developed search engine.

To bad its not more subcategoried like, utilitys,commercial,industry and such

It actually is if you use the Advanced Search (the little gear-shaped button next to the search bar)

The search has never been satisfactory for me at this site either. But it's so easy to just use Google to search the STEX. It's hardly even worth improving the search since it will never match Google's extensively developed search engine.

To bad its not more subcategoried like, utilitys,commercial,industry and such

It actually is if you use the Advanced Search (the little gear-shaped button next to the search bar)

Sorry but i ment someting ells.

Now we have Bat,lots,maps etc

but im talking about more micro categories as Commercial,Industry,Utilitys and such. Ottherwise most files are under Bat and they are all in one big mess.

You can use Google and simply copy-paste the line below after what you are searching for. 99% accurate. The only time I have seen anything unusual from using this search method is buildings occasionally not showing up, but it never brings up things completely unrelated like the STEX search.

site:community.simtropolis.com/files

I searched 'garbage' to find a building to handle large amounts of garbage in my city, I HAD to go though 20 PAGES of unrelated fancy dancy buildings and stuff before even coming up with anything remotely related!!! 10 more pages to find something that actually suited my needs!!! this isn't the first time I had this issue with your search bringing up bad results!!! I think the webmasters need to improve the search better!!!

I don't think you understand how to properly use the search function of Simtropolis.