Sign in to follow this  
michaalp

Help with slopes

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, if so, I hope the moderators will move it where it belongs to.

I have some trouble with building railroad on slope. I'd like to build such a rail layout for my city, where the violet line passes over the blue one and after a smooth, wide curve joins it just before the main station. However, even though I manage to build the rail viaduct itself, I didn't manage to build a well-shaped curve that'd look realistic. Does anyone has experience with placing curves and diagonal railroads on slopes and wouldn't mind providing me with some hints or visual tutorial?

What you need is a slope mod. It shallows the slope of transit networks that you place. You should find a few different ones if you look on the STEX. I personally use the (the Very Mounted version, but if I remember correctly, the files are mislabeled, and the Very Smooth version is actually the Very Mounted).

You can place rail to semi-smooth out the curved ramp, then place the wide radius rail curves. Use the terraforming tools to fine tune it.

I'll make a model of your plan and post a picture shortly.

EDIT: Here's the easiest way I found to do it:

So you start with this, the basic overpass setup.

image.jpg

Then you simply place the wide radius 90 degree curve...

image.jpg

...and I discovered that the slope mod automatically smooths it out:

image.jpg

It looks a little bumpy here:

image.jpg

So I used the terraforming tools (remember, Shift+1-9 to adjust size, Shift+F1-F10 to adjust power) to smooth it out:

image.jpg

Then just connect it in and voila:

image.jpg

The interesting thing is that rail can also be used to help smooth out a route for a road you want to build. If it's a little steep, or a bit bumpy, simply drag out the rail line first to kinda smooth out the path, and then demolish. Follow up by laying down the road tiles.