Sign in to follow this  
TAKESTHEKNOT

Stagnation

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I got my city up and running, everything is going fine, for over 100 years I've been adding residential and commercial areas with reckless abandon and watched as skyscrapers sprouted from the ground like corn in a freshly plowed field.

But then; nothing

http://i.imgur.com/EWAmZ.jpg

All of a sudden I've got no demand for anything, my revenue stream is barely enough to fund all public programs and as soon as a hydrogen plant or water pump has to be replaced I find myself bankrupt.

I can't raise taxes because that just scares the rich people away, I can't lower taxes to attract more business/people because not a soul will come and I'll just go bankrupt even quicker.

Commute times are lower than they were during my greatest period of growth.

How do I solve this impasse?

Edited by CaptCity  

Let's tone down the rhetoric please.

Looks like you've hit a cap, which usually happens when cities grow in excess of 100k (usually 3-400k)

First question: do you have an airport? Airports province commercial cap relief.

-How well educated is your workforce? Educated sims tend to avoid low income industrial and commercial service jobs.

-How big is your park system? Development loves YIMBYs like these, especially when cities grow ever larger.

How about your transportation network? Is it at capacity? Gridlocked?

-How bad is your air and water pollution?

Do you have any mods installed?

Anyways that's what I can think of now.... Addressing these questions may help you recover from stagnant growth.

TAKESTHEKNOT    0
  • Original Poster
  • I've got an airport, international, maxed capacity

Education is maxed

Got parks everywhere, even plopped lots of them down in the industrial areas to boost the growth of high tech industry (this was likely a very bad idea from a budgetary stand point but that's a different matter altogether)

Moderate gridlock from not planning ahead and building avenues, most people commute by subway.

I've got NAM installed and collosus, that's it.

What's this population cap you speak of? I remember no such thing from SC3000.

I'm only at 500k right now and I remember having a city of 2 million back in the days that I hadn't even finished zoning completely.

Edited by CaptCity  

I've got an airport, international, maxed capacity

Education is maxed

That is probably your problem. How about all of your civic buildings? Do you also set the budget of all civic to maximum ? If the answer is yes, then that is your mistake. Use the query tool, then set all of the education and health buildings budget until the max. capacity could be handled is almost same with the number of patience/student at the time. You can adjust them as the number of the service user is increased/reduced.

Got parks everywhere, even plopped lots of them down in the industrial areas to boost the growth of high tech industry (this was likely a very bad idea from a budgetary stand point but that's a different matter altogether)

Moderate gridlock from not planning ahead and building avenues, most people commute by subway.

Parks is a good option to boost the desirability, not demand. Because you have too many parks then I could say that you make the expenses become too high. That is a problem. Destroy some of them and set the budget of city beautification to be right with the minimum line. While too many parks is a problem, then using subway as your main city transportation has positive and negative impact. The positive impacts are it's not consume too much area (only 1x1 for the station), less commute time and traffic, less pollution (cars bring pollution), and also some money (If the system could be used effectively and bus stations also added). However, high maintenance cost is the negative side of subway that bus stops don't have.

I've got NAM installed and collosus, that's it.

NAM should not become a problem at all while CAM could become if you use it in a region that you already played before install CAM mod. Do you have a neighbor city ? If yes, then the do the demand of that neighboring city is high ? If the answer is yes, then your region is bugged.

What's this population cap you speak of? I remember no such thing from SC3000. I'm only at 500k right now and I remember having a city of 2 million back in the days that I hadn't even finished zoning completely.

Cap relief buildings are buildings that could increase the demand by attracting R/C/I to the area because of their existence.

So, do you have two cities with the population of 500k and 2m ? How about the city with the population 2 million ? Do the city is in the same region ? Do the city demand is very high and also a neighbor of the troubled city ? If the answer of all of that question is yes, then the CAM already make your region become bugged. I ever solved the problem once by set the tax of the city with very high demand become 20 % and fall the demand into -6,000, then I open all of it's neighbor and the demand is conducted from one city to another. However, if the problem is not that, then the highest possibility of the problem is a badly-planned city and you must fix it before the stagnant condition become worse and finally you reach bankruptcy.

TAKESTHEKNOT    0
  • Original Poster
  • The problem I came here to solve was not my budget, it was the fact that every single RCI demand is rock bottom no matter what I do.

CAM was installed before I began on this region.

Wait a minute, I also ever experience the same problem and CAM solve it. However, because the case here is you have CAM (Which is a demand mod) and the problem is happen when you have it, then the demand problem might be caused by the CAM itself. I apologize if I can't help you a lot and probably misunderstood the problem but I thought minimizing the expenses could help you a bit. I see, there is a big problem there, especially with those abandoned tall buildings. I suspect if you want the city to grow up (instead of grow out first) as fast as possible. The result is all demand is already satisfied before you could make it become even bigger and taller. Another that, based on your own explanation that you already play the city for around 100 years, and reach 500k, then that means you grow it very quickly and then, once all of the demand is satisfied, buildings start to stop growing and the the condition is changed from booming to stagnant. However, if your city income is still more than the city expenses, then I could say if your city is actually balanced instead of stagnant although some buildings around the city are abandoned. Why ? Because most of the buildings in the city is not abandoned and just some of them become blackish and looks ugly. Then, that means your condition is you can't build anything but you also unable to lose too much.

Sorry if I think that the city with 2 million people is a SC4 city instead of SC3K city and if I thought that your city economy is your main problem instead of demand is your main problem.

One question left, how about the tax setting of your city?

9-10 % tax except 3% for I-D while your sims already well-educated. That could be included as the cause too, you want I-D to grow while your sims' brain is smart enough to operate robots and computers at I-HT buildings. I think after +100 years, it is normal if your I-D demand is low (sometime, the demand even might reach zero or negative) and probably, it is the time to raise the tax for them until 10-11%. While for R$$, C$$,C$$$,CO$$ and CO$$$, reduce the tax a bit, maybe like 7-8.5%. 9-10% is too high and to keep them at least stay inside is lower the tax a bit, 10 % is too much and people will start to no longer attracted and even go away from the city if you can't make sure if their neighborhood is safe, healthy, and their kids is well-educated. By answering that one question, you already tell to me if you want I-D building in the area that ready for I-HT buildings. usually, I-D will not easily abandoned and even after the tax reach 20%.

You must understand this thing, tax affect demand, tax more than 10 % and the demand will be suffered. less than 8% and the the demand boom could be still for a longer time. Between 8% and 10% then the demand will be a bit low.

If your airport is maxed, then it will max out your commercial cap relief. I'm assuming you have a small international airport? You can upgrade it to medium via your transportation adviser and later to large. You can always plop another. Having a maxed out airport is not a good thing.

Try running the simulation without CAM installed. That might cause a change in growth patterns for the better.

About the no demand problem, I'm quite sure that high taxes have played their role. 9-10% rates for a city that large are way too high and have definitely an impact on demand. Lowering taxes does not have an immediate effect (while the opposite is true), it may take 6 game-months or more for the effect to be fully materialized. About the neutral tax rates (as a function of the city's population) take a look at - also read my notes, not sure if "population" refers to the R-only population (as the script does), or the total "city size", which would require setting taxes yet lower. Also check if you have underfunded education facilities, this hurts EQ and causes the CO$$/$$$ demand to drop. The Opera House is actually an education facility as well, but its capacity is low and it can easily be clogged. If so, bulldoze it and install the fix (AFTER bulldozing it).

To see your caps status, download and install my Chamber of Commerce and Industry (or the original Census Repository buildings from the LEX). Commercial demand caps can be lifted by airports, road/avenue/highway/rail/subway connections and certain rewards. It may be the case that you have not actually hit C demand caps, no matter whether your airport's usage is maxed out.

About your budget, take a look at these posts:

Hope this helps.

I actually think a little stagnation is a good thing, once a city stabalises then you can concentrate on your infrastructure, keep an eye on expenditures over this period and tailor your budget to demand.

Don't worry about bottomed out RCI bars, my industrial demand on those has been zip for ages so i plop all my industry or limit it to agriculture or sky farms, watch the RCI demand graphs in the menu if a bar is short there's demand just build a small area and see what happens.

It sounds like your trying to do too much too quickly, don't; slow down and start small.

Remember the old addage: a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long!